Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Does a shotgun loose velocity as the barrel becomes shorter, say 28" VS 24" barrel. I know a rifles does but how about a shotgun?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not enough that anyone would notice..

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not enough to notice even with rifles until you start comparing barrels significantly different, even less with shotguns. Comparing shotguns with 28" barrels to those with 18" barrels and there will be a small difference. There is more difference between different firearms than a few inches of barrel makes. It isn't unusual to see over 100 fps difference between different firearms with the same length barrel. I've seen rifles with 20" barrels shoot as fast or faster than another with a 24" barrel.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
ever notice how most shotguns were made with 28" bbls?
now its mostly 30"?
gun makers make bbl lengths to match the current ammo trends, so all guns will get the best performance with current MV of modern ammo.
note too, that recent trends show typical ammo MV has increased to 1250 to 1400+, where it use to be common to have 1195 or 1200. see the trend?
as mentioned, changes are so small, its not really noticed, unless you are a migrating goose hunter who needs to shoot way up there and needs all the MV they can get. and, look at that, old goose guns have 34" bbls.
its always best to get a bbl thats burning powder to the tip of the muzzle. short bbls do indeed allow some powder to exit unburnt, but again...not very noticeable. dont believe me? shoot it at night and watch the sparks.
hope this helps.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm not seeing many 30" barrels on new shotguns here in the Upper Midwest. Maybe a few duck/goose guns, also some trap guns, but that's about it.
My SKB 20 ga and BPS 12 ga both sport 26" barrels. If I hunted more open country, maybe I would use 28" barrels again, but in the grouse woods, 26" barrels are the longest I want.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think it is Lyman that gives an average change in velocity of 10 fps per inch change in barrel length. There was no qualifiers on that number as to whether that was a minimum or maximum or an average number, the type of load or any other information.

I did run into a firearms forensics article regarding barrel length and buckshot where the velocity difference was minimal from 30" until one hit the 20" length. From that point, velocity dropped at a higher rate. From what I recall, the average change in velocity per inch of barrel change would have been in the 10 fps range though the change in velocity between popular hunting length barrels (24"-30") was negligible from a practical standpoint.

The biggest change in muzzle velocity readings occurred when velocity readings were changed from 3' past the muzzle to the muzzle. European loads were looked on with amazement when they became common on our shores 30+ years ago because they boasted such high velocities. I wouldn't be surprised if allowed operating pressures were a little higher as the majority of the Euro shells seemed cleaner burning than U.S. loads. Measuring them with the same process as American made shells of the time gave a different measurement and the differences in measuring practices became apparent. I'm guessing this is a C.l.P. vs SAAMI thing as this seems pretty common in other areas too.

There have been advancements in powder technology that have led to higher velocities but changes in measuring techniques still play a role.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TraderVic
I'm not seeing many 30" barrels on new shotguns here in the Upper Midwest. Maybe a few duck/goose guns, also some trap guns, but that's about it.
My SKB 20 ga and BPS 12 ga both sport 26" barrels. If I hunted more open country, maybe I would use 28" barrels again, but in the grouse woods, 26" barrels are the longest I want.

Optimum barrel length often has to do with barrel weight and here most of our barrels are fat toads. Your 26 inch BPS has the equivalent sighting plane and thus barrel length of a 30 inch SxS. In the Grouse woods, or anyplace else it is a 30.

Stand a 30 SxS and your 26 BPS together against the wall and it will be evident.

Couple weeks ago I had the chance to handle two 28 inch Linder Prussian Charles Daly SxS16gauges. After perhaps 80 years, the USA has learned little on what a balanced shotgun should feel like.

Last edited by battue; 12/23/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by TraderVic

Optimum barrel length often has to do with barrel weight and here most of our barrels are fat toads. Your 26 inch BPS has the equivalent sighting plane and thus barrel length of a 30 inch SxS. In the Grouse woods, or anyplace else it is a 30.

Stand a 30 SxS and your 26 BPS together against the wall and it will be evident.

Couple weeks ago I had the chance to handle two 28 inch Linder Prussian Charles Daly SxS16gauges. After perhaps 80 years, the USA has learned little on what a balanced shotgun should feel like.

Interesting. So, with a SxS or O/U.......28"+ barrels are better (more balanced). Are repeating shotguns the same here ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's about the weight of the barrels. If they are heavy they best be short. If they are light, then they can be long. Almost all barrels for the American market are too heavy. Especially on SxS's and O/U's. Some pumps and autoloaders are better than good. The Brits, Spanish and Germans know how to make long and lean SxS's and O/U's. The Italians also if they want to.

Long and lean point better than short and fat.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Good to know and learn. Does Beretta make slim barrels for their American market offerings ?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't know about Beretta, however Perazzi will. Crazy expensive. Better value out there with the Spanish makes.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Always thought 24-26” is best for my shotgun needs. My Remington barrels sell as 26” but are truly 25”. My Browning barrels run about the same. Works for me. I don’t care for anything longer than 26”.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love sporting clays. Took a few years off, but getting back to it now. Picking up a new o/u and would like your input on barrel length. I'm considering 30 or 32. Pretty sure my old one was 30. (Lost in a house fire).

Also, if there is a better place to discuss clays on the fire please let me know.

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited by 40O; 05/18/20.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Don’t make the decision on the basis of pure specs. The answer becomes personal, although the trend is to longer barrels, especially in sporting clays. The longish barrels must also be light, and even better with fixed chokes, to have that “just right” feel - not whippy, not stoggy.

My favorite sporting gun is a Perazzi MX8 with 33” fixed choke barrels. I have another now obsolete gun as a backup that is also a very nice pointer, a Beretta ASE Gold with 30 3/4” choke tubed barrels. If that Beretta’s barrels were longer it would feel like a pig on a shovel. I shoot both quite well, both fit perfectly, but I will score just slightly higher with the Perazzi.

I also have a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge hunting gun that feels just right with it’s 26” barrel; it wouldn’t be right with a 28”.

And length has nothing to do with powder burning. It has everything to do with the combination of inertia and balance, that thing we call “feel.” So the answer - it just depends.

Last edited by GF1; 05/18/20.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
sparks = unburnt powder.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Always interesting to see the look on ones face the first time they handle a well balanced O/U or SxS with a slight forward tilt.... and long lean barrels....Especially the smaller gauges, when they get down around the 6pound weight.....

Shoot 1150-1200 FPS loads and powder not being burned is mostly a non-issue...

Another issue that many don't realize is at 35-40 yards the 1200 FPS is for practical purposes almost equivalent to the super fast load.as far as FPS....and usually better when it comes to patterns....

Some thoughts on shotshell velocity and patterns.....

https://mullerchokes.com/blogs/blog/11227409-shotshell-velocity-speed-doesnt-kill

Last edited by battue; 05/18/20.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 625. Shot it ain't side kong a friend's Beretta. Preferred my Browning so I'm picking up a 725. While I appreciate that it is different, I've shot a number of citoris and feel comfortable with the family ergodynamics. So 30 or 32 really is the question at this point.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
30’s will work fine for sporting, however if later you want to sell it, almost all Sporting shooters are using 32’s or 34’s.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
34? Hadn't seen that.

Rep.Mitchell.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not sure I’ve seen one in a Browning, but some of the others make them: Perazzi, Krieghoff, Zoli, Caesar Querini. Perazzi even has some 33’s. In addition Perazzi will make them, within reason, the weight you want.

Last edited by battue; 05/19/20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.