Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'd really like to buy a Frontier but I've heard so many negative things about Nissans in general over the years I'm scared to pull the trigger. You can find a 4wd crew cab Frontier for a few thousand less than a Tacoma.

I've had five Nissan pickups since 1977, the only brand with multiple buys. I've had very little trouble with them, mostly just regular service stuff. No complaints at all. I'm driving one now, a 2016 Frontier, King Cab, SE w/Value Truck package. Mileage "could be better" but I got 22.1 mpg last weekend, on our "Sunday Drive" around rural Kentucky, that's the best mileage I've ever got out of it, to be honest, but it made me happy. Get the 6 cylinder (260+ HP), you'll be happier than with the 4 banger.

The Value Truck package has more gewgaws than I thought I needed, but those heated seats are pretty nice in wintertime, as is the zoned heating system, and the backup camera is pretty nice, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

bought this ole girl in May of '02..2500 HD

sleeps in the garage a lot in her old age

Just getting ready to turn 124K miles

Helluva highway cruiser........

Some times I wish'd for the Duramax......other times not

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

otherwise.......

Toyota for me

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
I've had two tundras and have had excellent success with them. Did Chevy and Dodge ever move production out of Mexico?

No, but Toyota is making Tacos, Hecho en Mexico.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut

My little brother put 270,000 miles on its twin. Still running when he sold it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Always get a kick out of these truck threads. We've owned over 100 1/2T trucks over the past 20 years, Ford's, Chevy's, a Ram or two (never again), and 5 Tundras. The early Tundras were much more trouble free than the older ones that look like today's model. The last one I had was a '14 1794 Crew 4x4. The cold start sensor went out at 40k, the info system went out twice at 45 and 60k, and the navigation went out twice at 45k and 60k. Yes, fuel mileage was abysmal. Hope you have better luck with the latest models than I did. IMO the newer F150's and Z71's run circes around the outdated and outclassed 4x4 Tundras.

Yep.

+100

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I bought this 2010 Frontier used in 2018. 40K miles always garaged. I got it from a used car lot for $16K. A new one is double that.
This seems like a new truck to me, I got such a good deal I should be locked up for stealing.
My brother bought the same truck, a 2014, bought it new and he loves it. He has 115K mile on it and never has had any work done on the brakes, mechanic told him last week the brakes needed no repairs. We love our Nissans.

nissan frontiers are good. in full agreement. and lot's of room too.

after my yota mini-truck, a '94 model got run over & kilt in sept 03, i bought a end of year 03 tundracar after the insurance cleared, etc.

it was plain vanilla, 6 cyl, long-bed, and nothing like my 73 3/4ton chevy horse i pulled firewood with. but it did crank & run.

still driving it, slate gray, and cranks every time i touch the starter. 50,000 miles the first year, going to jackson, ms. where the pepper is hot.

a little over 100 grand now, and it just runs like a top. goodness how i'd like to own a new tundra car, but the prices!!

oh, i paid at $16,000 for my 6 cyl plain cab, longbed 6 cyl tundracar. but it did have a plastic bed liner.

it's never been hung up crossways on rural ga. roads in twiggs county like my mini-truck was multiple times over the years. (it was easy to tow out).

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
now that the covid is in japan, korea, brazil, india, russia,etc., where the profits fall means little to the working man, who has a job & pays taxes.

honestly, i would have thought that the red chi-coms would be flooding this country (the USA), with electric cars by now.

but alas, i was wrong! sometimes i can be wrong, but not often, and don't often admit it either.

if Tesla comes to Georgia, Colorado, or wherever the grass is greenest, then fine.

the problem with toyota, honda, etc. are the prices!!

could the red chi-coms sell through wal-mart??

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really depends on what you want the truck to do. Towing, hauling, off road, daily driver? Horses for courses. Noting wrong with the Toyota's, nor the Nissan. If you need to tow or haul, then to me there are better choices.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by auk1124
I am really leery of the new Ford system that shuts the motor down when you stop. It may work fine, I dunno, but seems to me it would put a lot more wear and tear on the starter. Maybe I'm wrong.

The GM system doesn't shut the motor off, it shuts down a sequence of motor cylinders when you are out on the highway. I don't like it either, but there are ways to turn that system off. I don't know if the Ford system can be shut off or not.

Haven't heard what Ram or the Japs are doing to hit current CAFE fuel standards. I assume Ram is doing something like GM and Ford, not sure about the Japs.

This is not correct

The GMC does have the auto stop/start. It aggravated me at first but I’ve gotten used to it, it absolutely helps with gas mileage, and I can turn it off with the touch of a button

GMC also has dynamic fuel management, which shuts down cylinders. You can disable it by driving in manual mode, instead of “drive”. A bit of a hassle that I have not bothered with. I can’t tell when it kicks in, only time will tell if it is damaging my engine somehow. I put 90k miles on a 2014 with a similar system without a problem

My truck is a 2019 Gmc with the 6.2 and 10 speed. It’s a beast. It will tow as well as any half ton and absolutely scream if you put the hammer down. The 10 speed is smooth as silk. I’ve had it one year exactly and right at 20k miles. Not a single problem to speak of and getting 17+ mpg with a heavy foot, oversized tires and a factory lift. And the “gimmick” tailgate is great

Yep it cost a fortune but I traded my 2014 Denali (also a virtually flawless truck) on it. The Denali held its value very well. and paid cash for the difference because, well, I can

I’ve tried to like the Fords but can’t convince myself to get an ecoboost. Tundra’s are tanks but they are way overdue for a redesign and my wife’s Lexus (same engine and platform) was a lemon with horrendous gas mileage. Dodge quality is suspect in my experience

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
GM must have added the motor shutoff thing in the last year or two. My 17 Silverado doesn't have it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by auk1124
GM must have added the motor shutoff thing in the last year or two. My 17 Silverado doesn't have it.

It is part of the new K2 platform in 2019 along with the 10 speed transmission, new look, fancy tailgate, dynamic fuel management (as opposed to active fuel management) and a host of other changes that came along with the redesign

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I've had two tundras and have had excellent success with them. Did Chevy and Dodge ever move production out of Mexico?

The Tacoma is made in San Antonio. But production will move to Mexico next year.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
A year ago my girlfriend and I drove in the 4WD Frontier from NC to Yellowstone. Girlfriend couldn't get over how comfortable the truck was.
Her car is a Lexus and she said the Nissan was just as comfortable.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Gas just runs through the full sized YOTAS. If you are willing to settle for 15 MPG go for it,

Last edited by champlain_islander; 05/18/20.

living the good life every day
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Tacoma is made in San Antonio. But production will move to Mexico next year.

They have been making them down south since '16. Trust me, I looked at them for a couple of years, and the window stickers all said assembled in Mexico.

I am not anti-Toyota, so dont go taking it that way. You can google it and see they moved some of their Taco production south. We probably get them here, being so close to the border.

Last edited by Hawk_Driver; 05/18/20.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A year ago my girlfriend and I drove in the 4WD Frontier from NC to Yellowstone. Girlfriend couldn't get over how comfortable the truck was.
Her car is a Lexus and she said the Nissan was just as comfortable.

Then her Lexus must really suck. Drove a friend’s Frontier over 200 miles. And it was NOT comfortable for my 6’2” frame. Not at all.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/18/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by tikkanut

My little brother put 270,000 miles on its twin. Still running when he sold it.

when this pampered & cared for truck has 270K on it

I'll be dead & gone

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular

They have been making them down south since '16. Trust me, I looked at them for a couple of years, and the window stickers all said assembled in Mexico.

I am not anti-Toyota, so dont go taking it that way. You can google it and see they moved some of their Taco production south. We probably get them here, being so close to the border.

We definitely get Mexican Tacos here, and in a little over a year all Taco's will come from Mexico.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2022-toyota-tacoma-will-be-made-exclusively-in-mexico-140444.html

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 19352012
Any thoughts or opinions? I have the big three dealerships local but have always been intrigued by the Tundra. Willing to look at Nissan also. Thanks
................Mid sized truck or full sized truck??

Tundras look like bigger and bulkier trucks to me. I could be wrong....Maybe a little wider than Ford F150s, Chevy Silverados or Rams? Imo, Nissan full sized trucks are the ugliest of the bunch.

I gotta Ram Hemi and love it. Loves to cruise down the road at 90 with RPMs at 2000. Effortless! Only do dat on long trips when well out of town in open country with little traffic on the interstates like on the 40 when I do round trippers to Texas...

This will come down to your gotta have preferences and gotta have quirks. Exterior styling, interior appointments, dash controls, engine sound (can't beat a Hemi with magnaflows lol), ride quality, seating comfort and on and on and on.....

IMO, over the last say 8 to 10 years, the Ram 1500s have made substantial and very significant quality improvements with their interiors and ride quality (coil spring-air ride suspensions). Don't have the air ride in mine but the coil springs in all 4 corners still give it an excellent ride with no complaints.

Have fun choosing!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.