-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Amazon has killed a lot of business. I still have my wingtip shoes from 1973 or so. I couldn't afford to buy shoes like those today.

Back in the past if I needed to get dressed up and my size had changed, it only took a visit to the nice ladies at JCP in men's ware. They would fix you up.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Yep, and they gave their top executives multi million dollar bonuses yesterday so they could grab the money before the bankruptcy filing. They all need to be frog marched straight to jail.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-bonuses-as-bankruptcy-looms/ar-BB1456Gn

Is that even legal? Sort of like insider trading.

Yep, but typical.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In the nearest town to have a JCP near me, they shot themselves in the foot. They totally forgot small town, rural America. "Our" store has NO work clothing, no boots, no durable outerwear.
I took the grandsons in there a year ago, and in the kids back to school clothes section, it appeared that JCP's decision makers decided that little kids need to wear gangsta threads to school. I ended up taking them to the Carhartt store. Let JCP die, and good riddance.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrys
I like Penneys. Walking thru their stores, they have too much dead inventory. They need better buyers.

You are right, from a modern, efficient, business perspective.

I F'n hate that perspective.
Today, if I want something that isn't going to turn over in a couple days,
it has to be ordered over the internet. This is the Wal-Mart plan.

Go to Wal-Mart, buy a 220v air conditioner.
They are tickled to take your Benjamin's on a quick turn over product.
Now, try to buy a receptacle to match the plug on your new A/C.

No dam way Wally has a bin of them taking up $$ and space.
They don't sell fast enough.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There were two items that during my working years were almost a commodity for me that I bought from JCP - button down pinpoint dress shirts and underwear. The shirts fit well and came out of the wash looking nice, and were at least as good as other similarly priced brands. Lands End pinpoints, despite all their hype, never did iron without wrinkles. I could count on JCP tighty whiteys fitting well and lasting a reasonable time. Like I said, for me a commodity that I could count on.

Fast forward into retirement. Went to JCP to buy a dress shirt. Weird colors and styles (for millennials), junk material. No longer have the medium rise briefs, but either very low rise or really high, neither of which fit me well.

On top of all that they have a weird pricing system. If you want a three pack of briefs, or one shirt, you have to pay an inflated price. They now price most things so to get a decent price (50% off the second), you have to buy two. Clever, those bean counters. I usually don't want two, so what to do?

So, I've had little reason to shop the "new" JCP. Too bad things didn't work out for them.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The department store concept was cutting edge brilliance - in 1955.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My family lived in JCP underware as a kid.
They weren't the cheapest, but they wore like iron.
I never even realized that underware didn't always last
a year or more, until I got married.

My wife's family thought of Penney's as upscale, and she
started buying my Hanes and Fruit of the Loom, from Wally.
Schiddy elastic, crotch seams that came undone, holes in
two month old underware... that cheap stuff cost a lot more
to wear than Penney's stuff.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Wore a lot of JCP clothing as a kid. One of my mother's preferred places to shop. Last couple shirts my wife purchased from them 30 years ago started unraveling and coming apart after 2nd or 3rd washing. Have not purchased anything from them since. Feel sorry for the working class folks losing their jobs. However, will not miss JCP...

For all the people saying the executives "deserve" the exorbitant retention bonuses for staying with a sinking ship... How about paying all of the hourly workers and admin staff the same prorata share of THEIR annual salary for a severance package ?

Are you aware as to whether the lower level workers received some extra compensation.

Over the past 30 years, I have been involved with 5 buy outs / down sizings / RIF's / "Say Goodbye to Employees". For hourly and mid-range salaried workers, the least generous of these was 1 week of pay for each year of service. The most generous was a base amount plus 2 weeks of pay for each year of service. For the latter, a couple 20-25 year members picked up about 1 year of salary as they went out the door. No where NEAR the "millions" being thrown at the executives at JCP. Jill Soltau, the CEO who is putting the last nail in JCP's coffin: Last year's base salary was a little over $400,000. Bonus was $6,000,000. That's right, bonus was 15X her salary. And then stock options worth $9,000,000 added on top of that. $16 Million dollar total comp (40X base salary), for sticking with a sinking ship...

In my best Justin Wilson voice: I GUARANTEE that no hourly employees will be receiving 40X their base annual salary for being a "good soldier" and sticking with the company until they are shown the door...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hearing a rumor that Amazon might buy them.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a brick and mortar stand alone JC Penny where I live. Wife ordered some stuff online for Christmas last year for store pickup. I went in with her and there were about 3 people in that whole store at Christmas time that didn't work there. I haven't seen more than a few cars in the parking lot of it for years and years. After being in there week before Christmas and it was a ghost town i figured it would close after the holidays but its still kicking. I think its a front for the mob or something.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
In the nearest town to have a JCP near me, they shot themselves in the foot. They totally forgot small town, rural America. "Our" store has NO work clothing, no boots, no durable outerwear.
I took the grandsons in there a year ago, and in the kids back to school clothes section, it appeared that JCP's decision makers decided that little kids need to wear gangsta threads to school. I ended up taking them to the Carhartt store. Let JCP die, and good riddance.

Our JC Penny is the exact opposite. They don't have a damn thing in the store anyone under 65 would be caught dead wearing.

Last edited by k20350; 05/18/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my wife is 5'10" tall and 145 lbs. JCP had a line of clothes for big/tall women. she bought most of her clothes there. the new ceo decided to get rid of that line and concentrate on goth or some such bs.
a tall woman has a hard time getting clothes that fit.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by k20350
We have a brick and mortar stand alone JC Penny where I live. Wife ordered some stuff online for Christmas last year for store pickup. I went in with her and there were about 3 people in that whole store at Christmas time that didn't work there. I haven't seen more than a few cars in the parking lot of it for years and years. After being in there week before Christmas and it was a ghost town i figured it would close after the holidays but its still kicking. I think its a front for the mob or something.

Originally Posted by flintlocke

Our JC Penny is the exact opposite. They don't have a damn thing in the store anyone under 65 would be caught dead wearing.
armpit trousers lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slum,

Is the Pennies where you get your Dickie onesies that have the built in built with metal clasps?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.