Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by 30338
I've had two tundras and have had excellent success with them. Did Chevy and Dodge ever move production out of Mexico?

No, but Toyota is making Tacos, Hecho en Mexico.

The Tacoma is made in San Antonio. But production will move to Mexico next year.

They have been making them down south since '16. Trust me, I looked at them for a couple of years, and the window stickers all said assembled in Mexico.

I am not anti-Toyota, so dont go taking it that way. You can google it and see they moved some of their Taco production south. We probably get them here, being so close to the border.

We definitely get Mexican Tacos here, and in a little over a year all Taco's will come from Mexico.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2022-toyota-tacoma-will-be-made-exclusively-in-mexico-140444.html

I believe my '14 is from Kalifornia

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by 30338
I've had two tundras and have had excellent success with them. Did Chevy and Dodge ever move production out of Mexico?

No, but Toyota is making Tacos, Hecho en Mexico.

The Tacoma is made in San Antonio. But production will move to Mexico next year.

They have been making them down south since '16. Trust me, I looked at them for a couple of years, and the window stickers all said assembled in Mexico.

I am not anti-Toyota, so dont go taking it that way. You can google it and see they moved some of their Taco production south. We probably get them here, being so close to the border.

We definitely get Mexican Tacos here, and in a little over a year all Taco's will come from Mexico.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2022-toyota-tacoma-will-be-made-exclusively-in-mexico-140444.html

I believe my '14 is from Kalifornia

nope

TX as per door tag

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Heym06

Originally Posted by duck911
Goldendoodle. Best dog we've ever had.

But does it hunt?

Unfortunately, like most of the forum members here, she suffers from gout, diabetes, rhematoid arthritis, and sleep apnea, so.......no.

Last edited by duck911; 05/18/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The emperor would appreciate buying a jap rig. They need the money over there.

A whole bunch of Americans are making a decent living building Toyota trucks here in San Antonio.

And the profits they make for the emperor go straight to Japan.....

Toyota is more America made than most domestic brands. I think the Tundra ranks number two for most American made truck at least it was the last time I checked. That is a out of American families earning a good income. Do you think the domestic vehicles tag are made in Mexico or Canada are feeding those families any better?

I know that American based companies are supporting this nations economy better than the companies that are not based in this country, without a doubt. To me, it doesn't matter how good they are...they aren't American and since I make my money here, I spend my money here whenever I can. Bragging about sending American dollars to a foreign land is like bragging about wetting the bed. And for the record my trucks are made in America.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Nissan is made in Tennessee. Non union.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Its probably a good thing that Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pick up. Because if they did, not many people would ever buy a Ford, GM or Ram gasoline powered HD pick up.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by 19352012
Any thoughts or opinions? I have the big three dealerships local but have always been intrigued by the Tundra. Willing to look at Nissan also. Thanks

I’ve had two Tundras, an ‘07 and a ‘10. For the most part they were reliable but both of them had issues with the emissions system air injection pumps and air injection valves. The ‘07was covered under warranty but the ‘10 was outside the warranty and it is a very expensive fix, so I traded it in on a new F150.

The ‘07 had the 4.7 V8 and the ‘10 had the 5.7 Other than the emissions issues, both were rock solid reliable and burned no oil between changes up to the 185,000 miles where I traded them in. Both got pretty abysmal fuel milage. The 4.7/got about 16 mpg and the 5.7 averaged about 14.7 for a mix of probably 25% in town and 75% highway. Both had pretty good power but liked to rev to get that power under a load.

I’ve only put about 5000 miles on the F150 and it is the first Ford truck I’ve owned. It has the 3.5 Ecoboost and I knew the advertised performance numbers were better than the 5.7 Tundra’s but I was skeptical until I drove one. I just didn’t think they could get that much torque out a little bitty V6. I was happily mistaken. The 3.5 ecoboost would absolutey embarrass my 5.7 Tundra. Very noticeable increase in seat of the pants feel during acceleration and has much more torque much lower in the RPM band.

My F150 also gets substantially better fuel milage, averaging 19.2 mpg for the 5200 miles I’ve put on it so far.

So far, I prefer the F150. The only thing the Tundra might have over it is long term reliability but I don’t know yet. I’ll let you know in 100,000 miles or so.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This...I had the same problem with my Tundra 2013......Smoked and shook like a diesel when I started it....Took it in 5 times to get fixed ...Finally gave up...My 2016 F150 3.5 EB has been flawless 55000 on the clock so far....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by MAC
Don't buy new. Buy one a year or two old and get the depreciation value out of the way. Every vehicle on the road is a used vehicle and so will a new one be as soon as the tires hit the pavement outside the lot. At that moment you just lost 25% of the value. Haven't bought new in decades for this very reason. You can get used with full warranties and save the 25% which on the price of new trucks is significant.

That used to be true, but recent years, it's just not anymore.

Do some looking.

A pickup...say an F150 Supercrew 4x4... say 2 years old an 20k miles on it.

Price it.

Then after dealer/factory incentives, price a brand new one.

The used one will be within perhaps a couple or three thousand dollars. And have less, or no warranty.

Clean, used, low mileage pickups bring a premium. If you can find one... It won't be significantly less than a new one, in my experience.

Been my experience as well, at least here in Texas.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The emperor would appreciate buying a jap rig. They need the money over there.

A whole bunch of Americans are making a decent living building Toyota trucks here in San Antonio.

And the profits they make for the emperor go straight to Japan.....

Exactly.

Like talking to a brick wall though sometimes. Yes, they employ U.S. workers, that's great. Even better when they are non-union. But ultimately where to the profits go? Who owns the company? I try not to support foreign companies when I can.

Others' mileage may vary.

MAGA
IC B3

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I bought this 2010 Frontier used in 2018. 40K miles always garaged. I got it from a used car lot for $16K. A new one is double that.
This seems like a new truck to me, I got such a good deal I should be locked up for stealing.
My brother bought the same truck, a 2014, bought it new and he loves it. He has 115K mile on it and never has had any work done on the brakes, mechanic told him last week the brakes needed no repairs. We love our Nissans.

Bought an 05 4.0/6spd new and drove it 10 years and 200K, had a leaking pinion seal, cam tensioners and the fuse box replaced under warranty.

I did cam chains and tensioners myself around 195K over a weekend.

I would buy another Frontier if I wanted to downsize from my 2010 2500HD 6.0/6L90 I bought in 2015 with 82K miles.

I would give a Taco a try after owning a 79 SR5 18R back in the 80's, beat it to hell and it always go me there.

Last edited by RDW; 05/18/20.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO depends on what you want to do with it. I have owned pickups all my life. I no longer pull an RV so do not need a diesel or 3/4 ton. I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra last year with the 5.3 motor and love it. 21-22 MPG highway 16-17 intown all day. Rides great. I looked at the Toyota Tundra. Biggest drawback is it only comes with .391 gears and gas milage is 17-18 max on a good day. They have not upgraded to the 8 or 10 speed trannies either. Good for pulling but how often will you need that. The new Canyon 3 cylinder diesel gets great milage if you are not needing a fullsize.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 05/18/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
John, I bet you have good long term luck with that Ford. My dad put 335k on an '03 Ford, and now has 254k on a 2010 model. My uncle in Louisiana has just turned 210k in his 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4. They have had no problems other than normal wear and tear maintenance. I bet you really enjoy it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by 19352012
Any thoughts or opinions? I have the big three dealerships local but have always been intrigued by the Tundra. Willing to look at Nissan also. Thanks
................Mid sized truck or full sized truck??

Tundras look like bigger and bulkier trucks to me. I could be wrong....Maybe a little wider than Ford F150s, Chevy Silverados or Rams? Imo, Nissan full sized trucks are the ugliest of the bunch.

I gotta Ram Hemi and love it. Loves to cruise down the road at 90 with RPMs at 2000. Effortless! Only do dat on long trips when well out of town in open country with little traffic on the interstates like on the 40 when I do round trippers to Texas...

This will come down to your gotta have preferences and gotta have quirks. Exterior styling, interior appointments, dash controls, engine sound (can't beat a Hemi with magnaflows lol), ride quality, seating comfort and on and on and on.....

IMO, over the last say 8 to 10 years, the Ram 1500s have made substantial and very significant quality improvements with their interiors and ride quality (coil spring-air ride suspensions). Don't have the air ride in mine but the coil springs in all 4 corners still give it an excellent ride with no complaints.

Have fun choosing!

We've had nothing but good luck with Ram trucks since 2011, both gas and diesel. Market share speaks for itself, Dodge lagged way behind, Ram has took a good chunk of the market front GM and Ford.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
IMO depends on what you want to do with it. I have owned pickups all my life. I no longer pull an RV so do not need a diesel or 3/4 ton. I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra last year with the 5.3 motor and love it. 21-22 MPG highway 16-17 intown all day. Rides great. I looked at the Toyota Tundra. Biggest drawback is it only comes with .391 gears and gas milage is 17-18 max on a good day. Good for pulling but how often will you need that. The new Canyon 3 cylinder diesel gets great milage if you are not needing a fullsize.

Amen to all of that. My current 2019 GMC Sierra replaced the '14 Tundra and I'm really liking it so far. Only 16,500 on the GMC, but the tripometer says avg of 18.1 overall.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good thread. I'll be truck buying this summer/fall/winter...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I lost my loyalty to American vehicles years ago. I grew up in Chamblee, a small town n. side of Atlanta. Just 3 miles from my high school was the giant GM plant, GM Assembly Plant Doraville. Half the guys at Chamblee had an uncle, or father who worked there. Huge plant probably 5,000 employees. Probably more than that.

I graduated in June of '68 and my buddy Jeff and I got jobs working as brick mason's helpers. We worked ourselves to death in the hot Georgia sun, 10 hours a day hauling brick and mortar. $2.25 an hour and that was great pay!

In July we ran into our buddy from the football team, Ricky H. Ricky's uncle worked at the GM plant and got him a job. He worked night shift, pulling parts for $5.45 an hour plus benefits. Construction workers got no benefits. Plus we didn't work if it was raining. Ricky was earning a pay to support a family. And Ricky was laughing about how easy it was.

Jeff and I ran into Ricky in August and he said he had gotten in trouble at the plant. And I said, "Well no wonder you said you were goofing off."
And Ricky said, "No, I got in trouble for working too hard! The union guy told me, no matter how much pull my uncle had I was going to be out the door if I didn't take it easy. He told me to get up on the second floor about 2 am where the pallets were stored, and take a nap from 2 am until 4 am or my ass was grass."

I knew then, something was rotten in Denmark.
In 1983, I was at a party in central Georgia, one of the guests was a guy from Atlanta named Jeff. He was working as a computer guy at GM Assembly Plant Doraville.
And he told, me the union workers all went out into the parking lot at noon for lunch and drank booze. He said management got fed up with having to pick up all the Budweiser and Jack Daniels bottles in the parking lot, so they put two 55 gallon drums at the entrance, so when the guys came back from lunch drunk they could throw their bottles in the trash. I told Jeff "Bulls***!! No Way that is happening."

Yet Jeff swore it was true. Met Jeff at a party a year later and he told the same story. I came to believe it was true, the union was so strong, it protected drunk workers at lunch.

Fifteen years ago, GM Assembly Plant Doraville closed down. And it got bulldozed. And I believe it was because of this fantastic corruption because of the unions.

So, I lost all affection for American built vehicles and their screwed up corrupt unions. I prefer to buy non union vehicles and I like it that Nissan is a non union shop in Tennessee. Profits go to Japan? Oh well the world is not perfect. Lots of American workers at the Nissan plants in Tennessee are making real good money.
I don't want to support the corrupt and rotten UAW.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love my GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. Lots of power, torque and 25 mpg on the highway.

JD338

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JD338
I love my GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. Lots of power, torque and 25 mpg on the highway.

JD338

Yep maybe after hitting the reset while going down hill on a 55 mph road and that would still be stretching it. GM Duramax looks good and rides better when the wife takes it grocery shopping, even then she needs to be careful not to overload it. But seeing how most Duramax trucks are short bed girls truck overloading might not be an issue.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are up for a road trip from NW Iowa, Lenz Truck in Fond du Lac, WI. has 600 late model used trucks on their lot. If you can't see the difference in a new one and a two year old one, why pay the difference? lenztruck.com Browse on line.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.