GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boy they're pretty buggers. Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That axis is a dandy! They are very handsome critters, well done!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Bucks, Congratulations on both of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tejano:

Thanks for the response.

1Minute
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I was finally able to get away from work for some long overdue social distancing and freezer filling. My stockpile of axis has been running dangerously low. I booked a guided axis hunt in June but we had talked about a particular deer for a few years

Two years ago he busted up pretty early in the rut. He was a giant last year but was a ghost. I got a few texts about a month ago saying the buck had been hitting a couple protein feeders a few times a week. As he kept growing and growing, we pushed up the date hoping he would still be in the general area and knowing the brows wouldn’t make it through the rut. There were some other nice bucks around that were already hard horned as well.

I left my house excited but with realistic expectations that even seeing this particular deer was going to be 50/50 at best. By this time, the buck was no longer showing up on camera . I asked for an extra day and hoped we would be lucky enough to get a glimpse of him. I planned on bringing home some meat and having a good time either way. On the second afternoon, we split up to cover more ground. About 7pm, I got a text that he’s here, he’s huge, and hurry. I ran about a mile, belly crawled a couple hundred yards and got set up. He was calmly feeding in a good size herd, which gave me a few minutes to catch my breath and settle down. A little while later, he and another buck happened to filter downhill in our direction. It was my first experience with 120 ballistic tips out of the 7mm-08 and performance couldn’t have been better. I’ll continue to hunt axis every chance I get but it’s unlikely I’ll ever come close to topping this one. An axis doe hunt the next morning turned into a stalk on a nice blackbuck. Every now and then, it just all works out

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hey dude where you hunting? That looks like around these parts. Live oak, mesquite and salt grass.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/19/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tx
Those are some amazing animals. You have every right to be proud of them. That Axis is a once in a lifetime trophy. Congrats.
GreggH

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Filaman, it was a good ways off the coast. The closest town would probably be Lampasas. There was plenty of oaks and cedars. I didn’t see any mesquites. Lots of hills, just not real rocky like allot of areas. The pics do like it could be down in the Victoria/Beeville area

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thats a toad. Congratulations!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
TXHunter,

Dude, you just killed the last living Irish elk! What a beautiful animal - Thanks for the pics!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.