Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Morewood
I paid into SS for decades. There was no alternative, you paid into SS every paycheck. I could've used that money to raise a family but I had no choice in the matter.

Now I'm going to apply for my promised benefits.

We'll see how that goes.

My first job my take home pay went up in May. Why? Because I had maxed out the Social Security tax for that year. I think it was 3%, expiring in May.

Now it's about 8% and never expires for most people. (Doesn't count the 8% your employer pays either--it's really 16% but they fool you to think of it as 8%.)

At age 75 I think I've already gotten more out than I have put in. The kids will get cheated. Congress should be put in the same cell as Bernie Madoff

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

When I retired and started consulting I found out really fast about “salary tax” ... where you pay tax on the Salary you are paying to yourself to cover SS....and such.

Then you get taxed on the income, just like a normal income from any job..

It just feels like it hurts more when you have to pay taxes twice on money you make.

I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Hastings
It is probably time to admit that Social Security won't work. When it started people weren't living much past 65 or 70 and each generation was figured to be larger than the preceding one. A major flaw was the exemption of state and federal workers along with railroad and many others. The whole deal was probably unconstitutional to start with. I think decreasing benefits 1% a year until the program disappears would be an equitable way to gently get rid of the program. Drawing a payment funded by our children is not a right if they get the political muscle to cancel it. We did not pay for ours. We payed for the previous generation.

Agree.

The reason they picked 65 in the '30s is that that was the age of the Railroad Retirement Act on 1920. The Railroad guys picked 65 because almost nobody lived that long. It was intended to protect the very few people who got too old to work. There was not supposed to be any such thing as "retirement."

Now we have a 30-year long paid vacation and it's going broke.

in 1983 they recognized people were living longer and raised the age, in increments to 67, or 70 if you wanted a fuller payment. Nobody complained because it exempted anyone over about 40, and the 40-yfear-olds were too stupid to know they were getting the short end of the stick. Too far in the future.

If they had just indexed the age for full benefits to life expectancy, it would probably be about 75 now and the system would not be running out of money. I'm not complaining personally but some of you younger guys have a problem. I worry about the future of my country.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
So many complaining about illegals working for cash, yet no complaining about who's paying them in cash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
So many complaining about illegals working for cash, yet no complaining about who's paying them in cash.

It is better to focus on the illegals themselves, or immigrants of certain ethnicities legal or not.

Eliminate them and there is no need to consider who pays them or how.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don’t see Big Daddy in his colonel sanders suit handing out cash to mexicans on his jobsite.

They work for themselves( some around here)A concept apparently very few people can grasp. I guess if all you’ve ever done is turn the crank on the machine at one’s job they won’t see it.

You get a crappy van for $600, a couple of ratty ladders and your cousin Pico and Armando and in one day, your in the remodeling business. Go knock doors and clean out gutters, fix leaks, patch jobs,...save all your cash off of that doorstep work. Get a little better rig, buy a trailer and a ratty mower, now you’re mowing grass.

Bubba the union ‘tard gets cockblocked from his weekend warrior ‘lawn service’

The guys are pretty enterprising, I was doing the same thing when I was 18,19,20 years old.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If the coloreds were as hardworking as Meskins, we would have a hell of a fine country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by hanco
Damn I just started getting mine!

Good thing you didn't earn it by being a door gunner on a Bell Huey, you'd be called a "Baby Killer".............

and by supporters of Planned infantcide!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by MAC
I am glad I set myself up so SS is the smallest part of my retirement portfolio. I'm going to retire with 2 pensions plus investments. SS will just be play money for me.

Not for long. Medicare payments are deducted from your monthly Social Security pay. Medicare costs are rising faster than Social Seurity. In a few years they will outstrip Social Security. Instead of getting anything from Social Security, you will have to pay into Medicare from your other savings.

If Medicare eligibility is lowered from 65 to 60 (a Biden campaign promise), this will happen sooner.

Nope. As retired military I get TriCare and I don't have to pay for that because it is my benefit, at 65 all I have to do is get Medicare Part B. There are a lot of perks for staying in the military long enough to retire.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.