Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Get rid of the muzzle brakes and you may get my attention................

The brake on the Mesa unscrews.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
Please correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is the muzzle break simply unscrews by hand. I believe they include a thread protector as well In the box

That is correct.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CarolinaPanther
I just called CA, and talked to them about the new LH line. They said they'll add more calibers depening on how the announced calibers do. I was inquiring about the 300 RUM, as it's my go to for elk, and they said no plans as of yet. I was kinda surprised that they went with the 300 PRC instead. That seems like a fad caliber, but who knows?

I think they at least got it right going with a faster twist-- I think they real question is did they go with a larger mag box or is the receiver already able to take a Wyatts box so the long heavy 30cals can be loaded out long.

CApanther- test one out for us! I bet that chamber could be cleaned up to 30 SM and that gets you realllllll close to RUM territory and some good brass being produced for it now (or fireform Hornady factory ammo)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of mag boxes.....
How long is the short action mag length ?

I'm sure the 6.5 CM will work just fine.
But how about the 7mm-08?

Can the bullets be seated out properly?
That may delegate what weight projectiles can be readily used.

As for what calibers announced that I'd be interested in, only the 6.5 prc…...maybe.
It's just more muzzle blast and recoil over the Creed and a couple of extra clicks on the elevation dial will get you the same results with less fuss.....imho.

BT53

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I believe the 6.5 prc mag box is 3.07 which should work fine

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Speaking of mag boxes.....
How long is the short action mag length ?

I'm sure the 6.5 CM will work just fine.
But how about the 7mm-08?

Can the bullets be seated out properly?
That may delegate what weight projectiles can be readily used.

As for what calibers announced that I'd be interested in, only the 6.5 prc…...maybe.
It's just more muzzle blast and recoil over the Creed and a couple of extra clicks on the elevation dial will get you the same results with less fuss.....imho.

BT53

And that's the way I see it too. It can be run hotter but when it is, it burns barrels. So the owners slow it down and now they are back in CM territory.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Pretty confidant in that? Not being an Azzz, but it makes a huge difference in my interest. That cartridge in a 2.800".....Pass

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well, I do not own one to measure myself but that is what I guy on long range hunting measured his at. Everyone that has a right handed one has no issue running factory ammo which is 2.95 inches long so I can’t imagine it would be 2.8 inches in the left hand version.

I’ll buy one when available and let you know

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m a “righty” and interested in the Mesa in either CM or 7-08.....
The mag constraints for the 7 would concern me with the heavies.
My current 7-08 is a Kimber Hunter, which I like a lot, but the magazine doesn’t give me any room to grow.
I’m assuming the 6.5 prc is on their short action?

BT53

BT53

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes

Pretty confidant in that? Not being an Azzz, but it makes a huge difference in my interest. That cartridge in a 2.800".....Pass

I have a right handed ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. Ive loaded to 3.03" and that feeds through the magazine fine. I will say, though, that I am not very happy with the accuracy I've gotten from mine. For my use, I want it to shoot the Nosler LRAB, preferably the 129s but the 142s would do. I've put a bit over 400 rounds through it and the only accuracy I've gotten that I am impressed with is from the 147 grain Hornady factory match ammo. That isn't what I bought it to shoot. I'm done with it, just gotta get it to the store to sell. I think for someone who wants to shoot different bullets it'll probably work fine.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
TOM, how hard do you push your loads?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
TOM, how hard do you push your loads?

And, on the mechanical side. Is the bolt lift similar to the 700's?
I've heard they can be tricky to mount a scope very low.

Sorry yours didn't work out for you. They're certainly an attractive option...

BT53

BT53

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The older I get the more I realize THIS ^^^ is an issue. For a Lefty.....I am always catching a power ring throw lever or speed bump. Or large ocular bells. Very frustrating. Many thanks for the clarification on the mag box dimensions. I know a Right hander that is boxing up a Ridgeline to go back. Seems every brand or company has Lemons now. CA gave him ZERO issues with accepting in back for non MOA though. Our Left Handed pool of cool factory stuff already extremely shallow. Sucks to have to sift and navigate through the few options we have hoping for a Gem

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How hard do I push them .. I don't truly know. I was setting up for an antelope hunt in late summer, now canceled. I wanted to shoot the 129 grain Nosler LRAB so that's where most of my focus was. There is essentially no data for that bullet. Hodgdon's site has some data for 130s but I couldn't get most of the powders they used. Hornady has data for 140s-143s for powders I could get but nothing for the 129-130 grain range. What I did was work with Hornady data for the 140-143s, start in the upper middle, and work up to 2 grains over the max since that seemed to be about the separation Hodgdon showed with their powder selection. I used H4831, IMR 7828, RL 25 and 26, and Retumbo. I also shot the rifle with 140 grain ballistic tips, 140 grain accubonds, and 142 grain long range accubonds. "No love." I didn't have any pressure issues and all 100 pieces of brass have been fired 5 times without any discernable loosening of the primer pockets.

Mechanically ...

Well, the bolt lift is a bit stiffer than a normal 700. Not bad, just "draggy". If I were shooting a 700 and got that drag, I'd back off on the loads, but it seems normal for the Christensen action. On the plus side, they use 2 plungers instead of 1 in the bolt face and it provides the best ejection I've ever seen from a 700-ish action. None of this BS about dropping an empty loose in the action, it **heaves** them .. several feet with authority. The trigger (Trigger Tech "Field") was around 2-1/2 pounds, quite decent as factory triggers go but not adequate for the purposes for this rifle IMHO.

Scope clearance ...

I mounted a Leupold 4.5-14X AO with a 40mm objective in Talley low ringmounts. It was CLOSE but it did clear by 1/16" roughly. The "spandex" smile Loopy scope cover would not slip between the barrel and scope though, so yeah, tight fit. Mediums would be better. Zero issues, or even hints of issues, regarding clearance for the bolt handle. Plenty o' room.

Other ...

The rifle did it's best, and most consistent, work with the 147 grain Hornady ELD Match ammo. I was not able to obtain any of those bullets nor did I try it with any of the other match bullets out there. I bought it as a hunting rifle for a specific hunt, nothing else, and didn't waste time or components with anything other than ammo intended for that hunt. It is quite possible it was a wrong choice of rifle / cartridge for my intended use though it sure looked good on paper.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hate to hear you've had accuracy issues. I have used Hornady's Precision Hunter ammo to great success in every 6.5 CM I've shot them through. It's the 143 ELDX bullet and has prevented me from loading for it because its so accurate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=T_O_M

Other ...

The rifle did it's best, and most consistent, work with the 147 grain Hornady ELD Match ammo. I was not able to obtain any of those bullets nor did I try it with any of the other match bullets out there. I bought it as a hunting rifle for a specific hunt, nothing else, and didn't waste time or components with anything other than ammo intended for that hunt. It is quite possible it was a wrong choice of rifle / cartridge for my intended use though it sure looked good on paper.

Tom

[/quote]

Tom,

On paper or in our own heads, that rifle should be the perfect antelope rig.
It was a major purchase and you obviously put a lot of time and money in trying to get your optimum load to work, or find one that would.

Thanks for the heads up on the mechanical observations. I think I’ll just stick with the Kimber’s for now and put the money towards a good hunt.

Hope you can get back to your antelope hunt soon.

BT53

BT53

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It has gone down the road to a new home and i hope it serves someone else well.

I picked the 6.5 PRC 'cause I sort of had an "anti Creedmoor" bug. I think my next bolt action will indeed be a Creedmoor ... I need to try it for myself. Yeah, Kimber I think. Sounds like it will be a while, I talked to one of the Kimber master dealers and he said they're basically shut down. Even their Alabama plant relies on parts made at the New York facility which is shut down 'cause of COVID-19.

Antelope ... 2021 probably.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
It has gone down the road to a new home and i hope it serves someone else well.

I picked the 6.5 PRC 'cause I sort of had an "anti Creedmoor" bug. I think my next bolt action will indeed be a Creedmoor ... I need to try it for myself. Yeah, Kimber I think. Sounds like it will be a while, I talked to one of the Kimber master dealers and he said they're basically shut down. Even their Alabama plant relies on parts made at the New York facility which is shut down 'cause of COVID-19.

Antelope ... 2021 probably.

My CM has been remarkably effective for me. It's not a "hard charger" and it doesn't need to be.

With only 6 preference points for Oregon lopes, it'll be a while before I hunt them here again - and I may just use my bow next time. But WY in 2021 is definitely on our calendar...…

BT53

BT53

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
325 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.