Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Are there any other options that will work with the factory rail other than Ruger, Warne & Leopold. The Ruger and others a very solid but not much for looks. I like the rifles I have seen milled for Talley's but Talley doesn't do this anymore. Conetrol or S&K are nice but I don't want to replace the rail.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to find and expensive, but if you can locate a set of early Ruger vertically split rings, they are very nice.

Probably the nicest looking, least obtrusive aftermarket rings for a No. 1 quarterrib are/were? made by S&K. They were one piece made of thin flexible steel that wrapped around the scope tube. A call or email to them will tell if they're still available.

Other than that, Conetrol would be my choice.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 05/20/20.
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, I will contact S&K and Conetrol as they only show the models for the varmint barrel with no rib. Probably would not be that expensive to modify the rib if it is deep enough. If not the Talley route will work.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a custom on a #1 action and had the quarter rib milled for Tally QD rings. It worked out nicely and will repeat the procedure on the current build.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a custom on a #1 action and had the quarter rib milled for Tally QD rings. It worked out nicely and will repeat the procedure on the current build.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a beauty. Do you know if there is enough metal on the factory rib for Talleys?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A bad picture, but just to give you an idea what the Conetrol set-up looks like.

Attached Images
Aftermarket stocks 2 (3).JPG (13.57 KB, 335 downloads)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
GSPfan, that is a beautiful rifle in a wonderful caliber.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Agreed. That #1 is pretty much perfect, and certainly deserves its own thread with lots of close ups.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when I was in business, I have fitted custom ribs to number ones and then milled it for talley rings. the factory rib is very hard, almost like a spring and I do think there is enough metal at the rear to be able to mill it for talley rings.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, GSPfan, that’s gorgeous. I too would like to see more of that rifle. Just stunning.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ok here are some more pictures.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]share image online free [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Last year the smith did a 38-55 on a High Wall action for me this year it's another #1 in 300 H&H. I'm hopeless wink

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Beautiful

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Alaska Arms makes excellent Ruger rings. I have their QD’s on my Ruger #1 in 300 H & H.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice rings. I don't really need QD and was looking for vertical split rings like the originals. I am going to mount the Ruger rings and then see if I feel like going for either the Evolution gun works picatinney rail or a custom later. But please keep the ideas coming.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
LOL, lucked into a set of Ruger vert splits today wink

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
GSP Fan - Oh my goodness! What a gorgeous rifle. Thanks so much for sharing the photos.

Guy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm glad you liked them. The smith is working on another #1 in 300 H&H and recently completed a Winchester High Wall for me in 38-55 which I think is a nicer rifle than this one.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wish Ruger did their rib w overhang ring location.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i had some custom picatinny scope rails made for a couple of Ruger #1`s work super for me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wish Ruger would come out with some off-set rings for their #1 because getting many modern scopes far enough back on the #1 is a problem.
Not just the typical 5/8 to 3/4 inch offset, but rings made JUST for the #1 that give about 1.5" of offset.

Another thing they could/should do is to make a quarter rib that is just for the #1 and comes all the way back over the top of the receiver, (like the one GPS Fan shows in his pics) so as to give us all more options to set our rings. The ribs they make now fit barrels in their M77 also, but don't give that extra length to the rear that is so helpful on a #1.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I would go with this rail before really long off set mounts. https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings-hd-ruger-no-1-picatinny-scope-mount

The Conetrol rail also goes over the action. On mine the Meopta scope had a long barrel to it so worked fine with the Ruger mounts. I don't like the sort of teeter totter look the long scope has with the short ring spacing but will live with it for now. But I may go with the Evolution picatinny and Talley rings which the single screw version looks similar to the original Ruger vertical split rings. I will see what I think after a season of use first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.