Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 303savage
I have had same issue, and just dropped a cleaning rod down barrel and it knocked bullet out.

I keep a brass rod in the truck that I take to the range...for situations like getting a stuck bullet out...
they cost about $2.00 at the hard ware store..

I figured that out AFTER messing up the end of a $30 clean rod...

per usual.. sizing issue at the load bench...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think i remember, recently, some idiots were saying you could just load to mag length and be perfectly fine.. hmmm... yeah, thats it.. and now you guys might think twice.

I load to mag length... but when I do, I first make a dummy round for such little hassles to avoid...
then I just ram it home in the action..that will adjust it to the chamber into the lands..

then the old dummy round is set back into the press and then I adjust the die down until it touches the bullet
take the dummy round out and turn the seater down a quarter turn.....

I personally think I know more about reloading than anyone else on the planet..

That is because I think I have exhausted every way known to man on how to screw up at the reload bench... multiple times
so by default, I've managed to learn a thing a two...

doesn't make me the best reloader.. just the most knowledgeable on screw ups... self taught will do that for ya...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Hornady oal tool is handy to set bullet seating depths.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I make a cut in the neck of the brass back to the beginning of the neck and then size it. Seat a bullet and chamber it with the bullet seated long. It automatically pushes the bullet back to where its just touching the lands. Then adjust the seating die. All set.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 05/19/20.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Black Sharpie method for me. Seat long, look for land marks on the bullet. When the mark in the ink is square, that’s kiss length.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Awful lot of stuck bolts on here lately.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Mad_Max Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Awful lot of stuck bolts on here lately.

I've used all of the techniques described in this thread for seating depth. I now normally use the Hornady set-up and really like it. In this case, apparently, I was using the but for technique. "But for" my head being up my butt, I would have done as I usually do and not had the stuck bolt problem. It seems I've become quite good at Seafire's technique above.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been using the Stoney Point OAL gauge with modified cases for years to measure case head to bullet ogive with the bullet just touching the lands, but recently started using the method shown below. It's very easy with Kimbers since the spring loaded ejector (not really fixed) isn't in the bolt face so nothing to remove. Simply put the safety in the middle position, unscrew the firing pin assembly from the bolt body and follow the instructions below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWmIwPwLyyg

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.