Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the same guys play in JW movies?

Seems the guys in the those pics played in Hellfighters, the safari movie and some westerns.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I watched this as a youngn' and thought it was a great movie, and still do, even for all the obvious political undertones. Thing is, the American people lost this war, by their lack of will to prosecute it as a WAR. Same as ever since, but we think that when the "real one" comes we'll be able to fight it for serious, you know, as if our very sovereignty and freedom depends on it. I wonder...

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 05/19/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw it when I was about 12 and liked it a lot. I was too young to notice or care about the political aspects of the movie, to me it was a cool action movie. Now that I'm older I still enjoy watching it, but I can now see where the pro war propaganda was a bit over the top. Watched it again last night and noted a couple of things I have questions about.

#1 I noticed in several scenes JW is holding his AR upside down with the carry handle toward the ground. Never seen anyone carry an AR that way. Was that a common way to do so back in the day? You can see an example of this in the photos back on page 1 of this thread.

#2 When looking up the names of actors I noted that Richard Prior had a role in the movie. Must have been a small, non speaking role because I couldn't find him.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw that movie decades ago, one of the very few 'Nam movies I can bear to watch. But looking at the outtake photos posted above, I laugh a bit. Because nobody who had been in country more than a month still had green uniforms. They had all turned a kind of orange//brown by then. The soil there is as good as RIT for dyeing clothes. With the very first laundering, they start coming out reddish, and it worsens with every wash - or without washing. Dust and humidity worked just as well.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

Aldo Ray (Sgt. Muldoon) was the real deal having served as a UDT (Frogman) in WW2 and politically a self described, "Arch conservative/Right Winger".

When Aldo Ray was born, he came out with a sticker that read "Military Career and War Movies".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duck911
Top 50 song of all time.

I always thought that the flip-side was just as good, if not better.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Point of Trivia: A guy with my cohort in the Peace Corps had been aircrew in Vietnam on a Puff gunship.

Two other guys were former Marines (too young for Vietnam), one of them former. Marines was a guy who rode his 125cc Kawasaki dual sport across the Sahara to Morocco at the end of his two years.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, you also know an honorary Green Beret of the 5th Special Forces. In fact, you drove him to and from PINS.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always thought Duke’s movies were entertainment and little more. Real deal sneaky Petes working the SEA landscape were some of the most perfect monsters in town and I was and remain humbled by their courage and ingenious ways.

FWIW, we didn’t lose the war. The North was forced to sign off on the Paris Accords because their ability to continue the fight had been destroyed. They signed and we left. They rebuilt their army and Congress cut off funding support for the South. That can be spun a number of ways but don’t waste you time telling Vets we lost. DIDN’T HAPPEN.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my favorite John Wayne movies. Refreshing change from the anti-war hysteria and plain lies going on at the time. Some great lines as well.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love the movie. It’s a movie, not a documentary. Don’t read too much into it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "Puff " attack was a feel good whipazz segment however not very realistic for those of us that flew those missions.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My favorite line is Bruce Cabot at the beginning talking about he can’t wait to get the extra pounds off he put on in the hospital! LOL! He’d been working on those extra pounds since he got kicked out of the Army Air Corps in North Africa (WWII) for smuggling schidt back home!! (Btw, look up his real name!).

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Birdie, you also know an honorary Green Beret of the 5th Special Forces. In fact, you drove him to and from PINS.

'Twas my honor Sir cool

...and I do recall, in the best tradition of donkey-screwing Bedouins everywhere, I also offered you the use of my tent, out there on the desert sands...... smile

Holy cow.... that trip was a fine occasion weren't it...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My favorite line is Bruce Cabot at the beginning talking about he can’t wait to get the extra pounds off he put on in the hospital! LOL! He’d been working on those extra pounds since he got kicked out of the Army Air Corps in North Africa (WWII) for smuggling schidt back home!! (Btw, look up his real name!).

Bruce Cabot's real name. Etienne Pelissier Jacques de Bujac.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My dad was a Green Beret, pre-Nam.

He didn’t care what the movie was, as long as The Duke was in it. The last movie we watched together was The Sons of Katie Elder.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was deeply grateful for that tent, too.

Back to the topic...

To anyone who has done them, no movie combat comes within miles of the real thing. Real missions are infinitely more complicated, more stressful...and a helluva lot louder. For starters.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The first time I saw that movie was at the 5th SPGA Headquarters in Nha Trang.
There were tooooo many bird colonels and the mortar fire sounded kinda hoakie. The rest was
entertaining as I remember it.
I do have a large poster of the Duke in his beret.
I think the only time you saw two birds there at a time was when there was a change in command.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When I went through IOBC at Ft. Benning in 1979 our Platoon trainers would tell us that "so and so" scene from the Green Berets was filmed wherever we were at. It was funny that the scene where they were giving the briefing to the reporters and the A team camp were probably only 100 yards from each other.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody but JW had the guts to do a Political Movie about Vietnam at that time. Showing Americans as the Good Guys.
Was it his best movie? No. But still a great JW Flick.

I was eight the year it came out and my favorite Uncle took me to see it. He joined the Marines the next year and headed to Vietnam.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/19/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.