Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've got to ask a question here....This has been on my mind for some time as I'm dumbfounded by the pussification of American men. How many of you don't have the mechanical aptitude to change your own oil in a piece of machinery or learn some new skill? The skill can be anything from carpentry, welding, reloading, etc. I know of some men that have no aptitude for learning for themselves and just lean on other. I just don't get it....

Mom and Dad always taught me to learn it myself if I didn't know how to do it. This seems to be a lost art anymore. To me, it's not a question of not having the money, it's about the journey of life and learning something new.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm currently working on a fourth language.

Interpreting Stick's posts.

Makes Japanese seem like child's play.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Different people have aptitudes for different skills.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
New cars these days don't have a spare. Millennials don't know how to change a tire they just call road service on their Iphone.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Good way to put it.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Willy G......

LOL!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I make sure my stuff is really broke before I'll bring it to someone to fix.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Today, I was reminded to rejoice in that fact that my aptitudes don't include the Pan Flute.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Very true.

After your doctor has put in a long day at the clinic, do you want him spending whatever spare time he may have reading to keep up with the latest research or techniques, or out in his shop making or fixing stuff, especially when he can afford to pay somebody who needs the work to do it?

Mechanical skills are worthy of respect, but no more than many other abilities.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good way to put it.

Well the first skills should be how to feed yourself and change a tire

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I make sure my stuff is really broke before I'll bring it to someone to fix.

I have a nephew like this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I can put plumbing and AC in a hundred story building, weld and build all kinds of junkie cshit, operate all kinds of excavators ( can’t do much with a dozer ), but I can’t do anything with computers. I don’t like small things with little parts. I soon take a hammer to something small if it give me trouble. Wifey puts all the kids toys or anything like that together, cause she likes it and I hate that crap.

It’s a good thing some people like the things I can’t do. I liked changing brakes and clutches at one time. I won’t hardly touch an automobile now.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The cardiologist that put in my heart stent loves to do plumbing. I walked into a Menards store, there he was laying out 4" plastic drain pipe fittings. My mouth must have fallen open, he looked, and said, "We're plumbers".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by devnull
I've got to ask a question here....This has been on my mind for some time as I'm dumbfounded by the pussification of American men. How many of you don't have the mechanical aptitude to change your own oil in a piece of machinery or learn some new skill? The skill can be anything from carpentry, welding, reloading, etc. I know of some men that have no aptitude for learning for themselves and just lean on other. I just don't get it....

Mom and Dad always taught me to learn it myself if I didn't know how to do it. This seems to be a lost art anymore. To me, it's not a question of not having the money, it's about the journey of life and learning something new.
Despite all the hollering from many about "dirty jobs" that pay a lot...the oil patch comes immediately to mind as something that pays relatively high wages for blue collar skills, what jobs pay the most? Mechanicking, oil patch, carpenter, etc. pay relatively high wages until they don't. Many require quite a bit of strength as well as skills and though the skills may or may not diminish, the strength always does. Unless you can move up into management or make a helluva lot more than most and bank it away, you are screwed when you get older. The jobs that pay the most are white collar and require college, not trades. Plumbing and electric, stuff like that...always have been in demand in the modern world and pay fairly well if you can avoid getting hurt.

Stuff that paid well and allowed you to have a modicum of being your own boss, like doctors and vets...even those have been herded into working for somebody else instead of yourself. We are seeing right now what the .gov and its owners think of small and medium businessmen.

All that said, if you don't make much money at your day job, you can save a lot by just being handy and smart enough to figure stuff out on your own.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not only men, women as well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Doctors only have two models to work on, which haven't changed in thousands of years, and they get to bury their mistakes. I definitely don't want my doctor messing with my car! He only gets the chance to kill me on the very rare occasions I get sick enough to visit his office- - - - -I'm betting my life on my mechanic's work every time I turn the steering wheel or step on the brakes. I just hope my mechanic doesn't find out that I'm sleeping with his wife! Wait a minute- - - - -we're both the same person! I've been doing my own car repairs for over 60 years!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good way to put it.

True. Some people are f.ucking idiots also.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every man should know how to;

Build a home
Rebuild an engine
Cook a meal
Process a deer, elk , cow etc...
Wire an outlet
Cut and chop wood
Built a fire in the rain forest
Shoot a rifle & handgun
Fix the plumbing
Treat a lady with respect
Treat a whore with little respect
Change a diaper
Read a contract
Negotiate a deal

These things aren't exclusive to the blue collar crowd.......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by devnull

Despite all the hollering from many about "dirty jobs" that pay a lot...the oil patch comes immediately to mind as something that pays relatively high wages for blue collar skills, what jobs pay the most? Mechanicking, oil patch, carpenter, etc. pay relatively high wages until they don't. Many require quite a bit of strength as well as skills and though the skills may or may not diminish, the strength always does. Unless you can move up into management or make a helluva lot more than most and bank it away, you are screwed when you get older. The jobs that pay the most are white collar and require college, not trades. Plumbing and electric, stuff like that...always have been in demand in the modern world and pay fairly well if you can avoid getting hurt.

Stuff that paid well and allowed you to have a modicum of being your own boss, like doctors and vets...even those have been herded into working for somebody else instead of yourself. We are seeing right now what the .gov and its owners think of small and medium businessmen.

All that said, if you don't make much money at your day job, you can save a lot by just being handy and smart enough to figure stuff out on your own.

You sound like a girl.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Probably like most here, I'm not dependent on others for most stuff I need to get done.

But, just because I've learned something and done it (at least well enough to get by), doesn't mean at 45 years old it's worth my time or aggravation to keep doing it.

I am NOT painting my own house exterior. Ever. Again. I have no desire to be 35 feet up on scaffold.

I also leave carpet to the professionals. Same, concrete.

Sometimes doing it myself and learning it is part of the challenge and makes a project fun. Other times, I just want it friggin' done, like, YESTERDAY, and I will pay to make the problem go away pronto.

(I do want to learn to weld though. I've never done it because I've just never had a need, but looks like fun.)

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,422
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.