24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I currently own a 2016 X900, it’s a workhorse never any problem. But I no longer need suck a beast, it’s main/only use is taking the dogs for a ride and some light yard work.

I’d like to replace it with a unit that would allow us to do light work, trail ride on our property and to go down the road a little in comfort. It’s just my wife and I and two little dogs so for us a bench seat is ideal and have a bed that dumps easily for my wife.

I’d ask on brand specific forum but not much objectivity on those.

TIA Gregg

GB2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A few questions to narrow down choices:
How fast do you want to go down the road? Stick with your current 22-25mph or a 40-50mph machine is preferred?

Do you consider your Kubota comfortable or do you want better suspension?
Is two finger easy steering required?
How wide of a bench seat do you need (how big physically are you two and your dogs)? A 2 person, a narrow 3 person, a full 3 person.
Is a quiet gas engine ok?
Do you need the option of air conditioning?

There are several lighter duty machines out there, ranging from utility golf carts to supercharged race models. Most of them will use a CVT transmission which will save money at your annual service and allow deeper water crossings.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
A few questions to narrow down choices:
How fast do you want to go down the road? Stick with your current 22-25mph or a 40-50mph machine is preferred?
25mph is fast enough.

Do you consider your Kubota comfortable or do you want better suspension?
A more comfortable ride would be appreciated.

Is two finger easy steering required?
Yes.

How wide of a bench seat do you need (how big physically are you two and your dogs)? A 2 person, a narrow 3 person, a full 3 person.
We’re normal sized and the dogs are 20# or so with the smaller of the two riding on my wife’s lap.

Is a quiet gas engine ok?
Gas would be my preferred.

Do you need the option of air conditioning?
No.

There are several lighter duty machines out there, ranging from utility golf carts to supercharged race models. Most of them will use a CVT transmission which will save money at your annual service and allow deeper water crossings.

Thank you for your response!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My first thought is “um, I don’t think that UTV exists.”
You’ll probably have to compromise or look at a different market like the Low Speed Vehicle and Neighborhood Electric Vehicle market. They are basically scaled up golf carts to be used as miniature cars at 25mph. UTV and recreational/sport SxS are built for heavier work/abuse and have powerful engines with heavyweight suspension. The sport SxS models will have much better suspension but engine/exhaust noise and vehicle egress will be less friendly. Most of the recreation and sport class also have locked rear ends instead of a turf option.

Of the UTVs, I’d look at the Arctic Cat Prowler Pro first. It is a 50hp, 50mph, quieter than a golf cart utility model. The extra power comes on smooth. You can set the speed limit down to 25mph ish(I don’t remember the exact number) through the dash console. You can leave the seat belt off and it will limit your speed down to 10 or 12mph. The bench seat is wide enough that both of your dogs can sit in the middle. The power steering is light and the wheel tilts. The ride will only be a little better than your Kubota. The box bed is flat for buckets and pallet loading. The box is higher to avoid using wheel wells, this is becoming common industry wide. The tilt bed is large and requires assistance to dump heavy loads but will dump light yard trimmings on its own. The door opening is generous and the dash layout is ergonomic.

The Kawasaki Mule Pro FX EPS would be runner up and the direct competitor to the Prowler Pro. An advantage of the Mule Pro FX is the storage behind the seats within the ROPS. It stays contained and flat while dumping the box, great for separating yard tools from the dumpable debris in your bed. It is big enough for small dogs when you have a third person on the front seat. The dump boxes themselves are basically the same. Power is slightly lower and top speed is 43ish. The door was harder to get my size 13 boots in. The seat back ends at the bench, it does not have the whiplash head pad that the Prowler Pro does. The suspension is just slightly rougher in the Mule Pro FX.

Both the Prowler Pro and the Mule Pro FX EPS have the selectable open or locked rear end. So your yard is safe. There are many models with better suspension that cone with more aggressive tires and locked rear ends that rio up the grass during tight turns. The best ride probably being the hold over Arctic Cat Havoc X with the King shocks. This is a 70some mph, 100hp, loud exhaust, decent size dump box machine but it offers excellent adjustability and ride comfort. This mode and several others were ruled out because they lack a turf safe rear end and exhaust noise.

There are smaller/lighter duty models like the John Deer XUV590M, Polaris Ranger 500 or 570. The exhaust is louder and ride is rougher but these do have the selectable rear end. For the purchase price, you could go with an aftermarket suspension valved and set to your liking. I’ve never had good results with modifying UTV exhausts to be substantially quieter.

I do not have enough seat time with the John Deere XUV825 or XUV 835, Polaris Ranger 570 Fullsize to give you valuable opinion. If the 570 Fullsize is like the other 570, it is louder but the turf mode works well. The 1000 Fullsize is louder. I prefer a Double A arm front suspension but it doesn’t sound like you’ll push the machine hard enough to notice.

Another option for added comfort is to have the seat portion of the bench seat modified by an automotive upholstery shop. This usually runs about $300 and can give a cushier ride. Play with your tire pressure to find the best compromise for you between ride quality and vehicle handling.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
My first thought is “um, I don’t think that UTV exists.”
You’ll probably have to compromise or look at a different market like the Low Speed Vehicle and Neighborhood Electric Vehicle market. They are basically scaled up golf carts to be used as miniature cars at 25mph. UTV and recreational/sport SxS are built for heavier work/abuse and have powerful engines with heavyweight suspension. The sport SxS models will have much better suspension but engine/exhaust noise and vehicle egress will be less friendly. Most of the recreation and sport class also have locked rear ends instead of a turf option.

Of the UTVs, I’d look at the Arctic Cat Prowler Pro first. It is a 50hp, 50mph, quieter than a golf cart utility model. The extra power comes on smooth. You can set the speed limit down to 25mph ish(I don’t remember the exact number) through the dash console. You can leave the seat belt off and it will limit your speed down to 10 or 12mph. The bench seat is wide enough that both of your dogs can sit in the middle. The power steering is light and the wheel tilts. The ride will only be a little better than your Kubota. The box bed is flat for buckets and pallet loading. The box is higher to avoid using wheel wells, this is becoming common industry wide. The tilt bed is large and requires assistance to dump heavy loads but will dump light yard trimmings on its own. The door opening is generous and the dash layout is ergonomic.

The Kawasaki Mule Pro FX EPS would be runner up and the direct competitor to the Prowler Pro. An advantage of the Mule Pro FX is the storage behind the seats within the ROPS. It stays contained and flat while dumping the box, great for separating yard tools from the dumpable debris in your bed. It is big enough for small dogs when you have a third person on the front seat. The dump boxes themselves are basically the same. Power is slightly lower and top speed is 43ish. The door was harder to get my size 13 boots in. The seat back ends at the bench, it does not have the whiplash head pad that the Prowler Pro does. The suspension is just slightly rougher in the Mule Pro FX.

Both the Prowler Pro and the Mule Pro FX EPS have the selectable open or locked rear end. So your yard is safe. There are many models with better suspension that cone with more aggressive tires and locked rear ends that rio up the grass during tight turns. The best ride probably being the hold over Arctic Cat Havoc X with the King shocks. This is a 70some mph, 100hp, loud exhaust, decent size dump box machine but it offers excellent adjustability and ride comfort. This mode and several others were ruled out because they lack a turf safe rear end and exhaust noise.

There are smaller/lighter duty models like the John Deer XUV590M, Polaris Ranger 500 or 570. The exhaust is louder and ride is rougher but these do have the selectable rear end. For the purchase price, you could go with an aftermarket suspension valved and set to your liking. I’ve never had good results with modifying UTV exhausts to be substantially quieter.

I do not have enough seat time with the John Deere XUV825 or XUV 835, Polaris Ranger 570 Fullsize to give you valuable opinion. If the 570 Fullsize is like the other 570, it is louder but the turf mode works well. The 1000 Fullsize is louder. I prefer a Double A arm front suspension but it doesn’t sound like you’ll push the machine hard enough to notice.

Another option for added comfort is to have the seat portion of the bench seat modified by an automotive upholstery shop. This usually runs about $300 and can give a cushier ride. Play with your tire pressure to find the best compromise for you between ride quality and vehicle handling.

Wow, lots of useful information thank you!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.