Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am gonna build another ar15, looking to build it light as I can within reason. I am looking at the criterion 16 inch pencil barrel with mid gas for $289 or the Faxon mid gas pencil barrel for $175. The criterion is 1-8, wylde chamber, I believe the faxon if 1-8 w/5.56 chamber. The faxon is lighter and is $100 less. Anyone recommend either barrel? The use of the gun is general toting, hunting, lots of target practice and to repel boarders...

GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had dealings with 3 Faxon barrels, the first light weight shot really well. Second light weight had a rough chamber. Supposedly, bad nitride coatings (salt crystals embedded?) causing the issue. Third barrel was a Gunner and had the same problem. My buddy stuck it out and they replaced his. The new barrel doesn't shoot as good as the light weight. I got a refund on mine.

No experience with Criterion but have heard no bad reports.

I'm still happy with Sionics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Criterion, hands down, their barrels are lapped; ODIN makes a lightweight pencil barrel too in stainless & they guarantee 1.5 MOA, I don't have one but have heard good things.

Lowest price I've seen........................

Odin Ultralight Barrel

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or if you want to go a little heavier, (32 oz) CMC is now making a really nice barrel with very tight specs for tolerance, end to end, same as Douglas specs & air gauged.

I'm building several uppers right now & might just give one a try..............they guarantee 1 MOA or less.

And it's CrMoV & nitride with the same process that Rubber City Armory uses...........I'm guessing that RCA is likely doing the nitriding for them as they do contract that service.

Much longer life than bare stainless.

MM

CMC Barrel

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have two uppers and built a third with Criterion barrels.

An 18" rifle gas hybrid,

16" government contour, mid gas

and an 18" ultra light, rifle gas.

Criterion started as a spin of from Krieger, making button barrels for Krieger at a time when Krieger couldn't make single point rifle cut barrels fast enough. That right there should tell you everything you need to know about Criterion, and why I have three of their barrels. All three are button rifled, chrome lined, and as MM mentioned, hand lapped, and look beautiful under a bore scope.

The 18" Hybrid is my goto for accuracy and longer range shooting. It hold inch 5 shot groups with most hand loads I throw at it, and 1/2 to 3/4 with a few select loads. Inch and a quarter is a "bad load" for it, and they typical group with Norma Tac 55gr FMJ's. It wears a BCM Mod 0 muzzle device. We have a Cabelas 6" chain swinger, and at 100 yards, from a bench with rapid fire, I can walk that place off the chains.

My 16" in gun didn't shoot as well, until I changed the Muzzle device, and now it's a new gun. I went from a standard A2 bird cage to a VG6 Precision Epsilon Compensator. This made a huge difference not just in handling, but also in group size. Aero Precision will earn more of my business as a result.

I made the 18" ultra light for a relative. It's seems to be a little finicky in what it like, but so long as you feed it a steady diet of W748 its 3 rounds on top of each other. I can't report on 5 or 10 shot groups groups, because, boomers.

Between the two, Criterion, hands down. Since I built mine they've greatly widened their offering, and now even make nitrated barrels to their high standards.

If I was building a light weight 16" are today, I'd try Criterions new Core Series. It comes in at 1.7 pounds, but moved the material back toward the chamber, where you need to extra material, and with a continious taper, moves the balance point back as well.

Here's their flashy marketing video on it:

If weight is a greater concern, their 16" Pencil barrel comes in at 1.45 pounds.

Optics planet has them for $269.00:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/criterion-barrels-ar-15-pencil-mid-length-gas-system-barrel.html

Either way, Faxon is not in the same class.

It terms of what you pay for what you get, Criterion's a good value.

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/chrome-lined-vs-salt-bath-nitrided-barrels/

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Criterion that was an HBAR profile & chrome lined that was KILLER!

Politics is War by Other Means
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TWR
I've had dealings with 3 Faxon barrels, the first light weight shot really well. Second light weight had a rough chamber. Supposedly, bad nitride coatings (salt crystals embedded?) causing the issue. Third barrel was a Gunner and had the same problem. My buddy stuck it out and they replaced his. The new barrel doesn't shoot as good as the light weight. I got a refund on mine.

No experience with Criterion but have heard no bad reports.

I'm still happy with Sionics.

does sionics make their own barrels?

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm sure they use a blank from someone else but I don't know who.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.