Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW

How do you analyze buying toilet paper at the store prior to purchase?

The most important characteristic for me is that the TP be septic system safe. And I prefer two-ply to single ply.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

"Prior knowledge" of what - and how gained? You bought the 28 Nosler perhaps just because you like the name? Never saw ANY ballistic info on it prior to your purchase? Had no idea if it was a fast flat shooter or slower than a 7mm Waters?

Nice selection, BTW. I have a Savage action awaiting a decision on a barrel and the 28 Nosler and .375 Ruger are both candidates.
..........How about doing some reading (like only 5 seconds) without looking at or pondering over ballistic tables??.... After the 28 Nosler was intro'd, all I did was look on the Nosler site..... Well well!!....3125-50 fps using a 175 grainer. That was all I needed to see before making my purchase of a 28 Nosler. Already had common knowledge of 7mm BCs. Did not need to compare the 28 Nosler to any other 7mm round including the Remington, Waters or Weatherby because it was not necessary, nor necessary to consult any ballistic tables.....Same holds true for my 300 WSM, 375 Ruger and (da beast) 338-378 Bee........

Sorry, but "3125-50 fps using a 175 grainer" constitutes ballistic information. Skimpy, to be sure, definitely not a table, but ballistic information nevertheless.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Moses
Many of us have been reloading, hunting, shooting, and craving rifles for 40+ years. We have read/learned ballistic coefficients/sectional densities/ft pounds,wind drift, drop, MOA. The only really big advancement in my 40yrs seems to me is twist rate. Most of us probably already have enough ballistic knowledge to not have to consult much of anything to determine whether a particular cartridge is viable. In the end I guess it is necessary to know some data (even from trial and error experience). In the end it is just for fun.

I agree completely. While I started out in 1982 knowing next to nothing about external ballistics, I've learned a lot about bullet weights, B.C. values and relative velocities for a lot of bullets and cartridges since then. It would be impossible for me not to apply that knowledge, even if subliminally, when evaluating a cartridge. It's in my head and I can't really turn it off. When Hornady announced the 6.5PRC all I was interested in was the M.V. as I know from experience what 6.5mm bullets can do. Turns out the M.V is basically the same as my heavy-barrel 6.5-06AI with similar weight bullets - which is why I was immediately interested in the 6.5PRC in a sporter-weight.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

"Prior knowledge" of what - and how gained? You bought the 28 Nosler perhaps just because you like the name? Never saw ANY ballistic info on it prior to your purchase? Had no idea if it was a fast flat shooter or slower than a 7mm Waters?

Nice selection, BTW. I have a Savage action awaiting a decision on a barrel and the 28 Nosler and .375 Ruger are both candidates.
..........How about doing some reading (like only 5 seconds) without looking at or pondering over ballistic tables??.... After the 28 Nosler was intro'd, all I did was look on the Nosler site..... Well well!!....3125-50 fps using a 175 grainer. That was all I needed to see before making my purchase of a 28 Nosler. Already had common knowledge of 7mm BCs. Did not need to compare the 28 Nosler to any other 7mm round including the Remington, Waters or Weatherby because it was not necessary, nor necessary to consult any ballistic tables.....Same holds true for my 300 WSM, 375 Ruger and (da beast) 338-378 Bee........

Sorry, but "3125-50 fps using a 175 grainer" constitutes ballistic information. Skimpy, to be sure, definitely not a table, but ballistic information nevertheless.
.........Yeah true and very skimpy......However what I will do for any future hunting using any one of my 4 cartridges, is that after a scope zero is determined then access a drop chart and wind chart and apply that info to whatever bullet I am using... 350 to 400 yard zeros for the 28 Nosler and 338-378 Bee. A 300-350 yard zero for the 300 WSM and a 200-250 yard zero for the 375 Ruger........I have never fired at any animal beyond 500 yards anyway.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After having read the OP and all 3 pages, I'd like to expand upon my initial post. In my initial post I was thinking of a hunting rifle, as were some others.

How I choose a cartridge: Usually I stumble on to one I haven't worked with or don't have. First of all it has to be obsolete or at the very least obscure. Secondly, after 30 years of working with old, obsolete and usually unavailable American cartridges anything new, (old), to me is nearly always British or German. Thirdly, it has to be chambered in what think is a nice rifle. Old, obsolete and obscure cartridges that are chambered in double rifles, combination guns, drillings, stalking rifles or Schuetzen rifles I find of particular interest. One I would like to have in my battery is old but is far from obsolete and that is the 9.3 X 74R and I want it in a pre-war double rifle. That would kill two birds with one stone. I'd have the 9.3 and almost any double you find it in will be nice.

Ballistics have absolutely no influence on whether or not I will make the purchase. Once I have it I'll develop my own load and run it across my chronograph and calculate my own ballistics. There won't be any reason to consult anyone else's ballistic tables.

Last edited by sharps4590; 05/20/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
sharps4590 -

Good post.

Ballistics entered into my thinking when I bout my first center-fire and rejected the ..356 Win and .375 Win that Dad recommended. They also had a strong influence on my choice of 7mm RM.
Fast forward 19 year later to 2001 and ballistics essentially played no part in my decision to purchase a Marlin in .375 Win or a Marlin .45-70 in 2002 or a Marlin .30-30 in 2005.

What counted was they were lever guns. I knew they all had rainbow trajectories compared to my 7mm RM, but lever guns can't be beat for fun. The .375 Win has taken antelope and coyotes and the .45-70 has accounted for deer and elk. HAve hunted elk wiht the .30-30 but never had a shot opportunity, let alone one in range.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What's the best round for gut shooting elk along a fence line?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the average person, picking the rifle is far more important than picking the cartridge.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Evaluate the cartridge by its ability to do the intended job of the bullet you have chosen to work with. Choose the bullet first....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.