Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
hard to understand why people chose to live in flood prone areas.... Then they come crying to the govt for help when their homes get wet!

Usually, it's because the price of the land is "right". Louisville, KY is built partly in a flood plain, and it's usually those houses that are most "affordable" to struggling families. They have gotten flooded out regularly over the years, due to unscrupulous builders who are supposed to disclose if a house is in a flood plain.

I grew up in rural Missouri, just uphill from a creek that flooded a lot (and it still does). Our house was up on the hill, as the bottomground was too valuable for farming to simply build a house there. In fact, NO ONE built their houses on good bottomground, and no one's houses flooded. But rural Missouri's population is pretty sparse, not like Michigan's, or Kentucky, where I live now. Sometimes, there's no other place to build a house, period.

My dad once worked for a US Senate Committee that legislated relief for areas that had been flooded - frequently along the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. He'd visit the areas and help assess the amount of flood relief funding necessary. He often suggested that the displaced take the Federal money and relocate to higher ground and was angered by the "good" folks in Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, etc. who would joke that if they moved, they couldn't afford new furniture and carpeting every 6-7 years.

And, these were people who considered themselves conservative and resented government!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Folks wanting to fug with Ma Nature need to do their homework first, but often do not.

I present you, the Everglades.

Don’t get me started on that, please.

Ok. smile

And, I hear ya. Believe me.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn dams...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

One of the dams, which the National Weather Service said saw “catastrophic” failures, had been under scrutiny by federal regulators since 1999.

The Edenville dam, where there is a hydropower project, is about 140 miles north of Detroit and was built in 1924. Federal regulators revoked the project’s license in 2018, after warning for two decades that it was vulnerable to significant flooding.

Say's quite a bit right there!

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
hard to understand why people chose to live in flood prone areas.... Then they come crying to the govt for help when their homes get wet!

Figure it out, idiot.

I don't mean to be a jerk but he's right. Town I live in half the town is down the hill and considered flood plain even though it hasn,t flooded in a century. Guess which side of town I didn't look at houses in. Same as the guy on The weather Channel in LA and had his third house lost from hurricanes and flooding. At some point its your fault.

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
That [bleep] storms runs right through the heart of Dow chemical. If Dow has a breach...kiss the Great Lakes good bye. Their silence is deafening. That would be major issue

Last edited by Quak; 05/20/20.

GOD Bless America
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Did not know that there were earthen dams still in use.

Might be a good time after this is sorted out to get it built better.

Hope no more folks lose their homes or lives.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by k20350
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Figure it out, idiot.

I don't mean to be a jerk but he's right. Town I live in half the town is down the hill and considered flood plain even though it hasn,t flooded in a century. Guess which side of town I didn't look at houses in. Same as the guy on The weather Channel in LA and had his third house lost from hurricanes and flooding. At some point its your fault.

Well, there is that. Wisconsin has had something a little north of 40" of rain this year to date. I lived thru 50" in 2 weeks some years ago, nobody drowned or lost their houses/huts. Denial is a poor premise for site selection for a home or business. 100/500 year storms do not arrive on any particular schedule. Back in 1950 Hurricane Easy dropped a hair shy of 40" of rain on Yankeetown, FL in 24 hours. Chitt happens, be prepared or move somewhere else. And don't trust engineers with your life and welfare re: dams.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
every 10 or 20 years there's an unexpectedly heavy rainfall somewhere around the state, no warning and random location, 6-8 inches. in this case, it happened to be around a couple dams, which would not have been designed or maiintained to withstand this kind of rain. Regardless, this event would cause flooding, dam or no d_mn dam

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

In a previous post I mentioned that flooding is an annual spring event in this watershed and every year it’s handled very well by the residents and businesses. This is being called a 500yr-type event based on the water levels achieved and it’s the result of two dams breaking which have never broken before. If they hold, no one is affected just like every spring.

And of the hundreds of people that I personally know up and down the river, nobody is crying for the government to save them.

With the numbers of rivers in the US susceptible to flooding like this at some point in their history, you’re suggesting we not live within 20mi of them to avoid a once-every-half-millennia scenario? Curious where your nearest river is.

I feel for them and pray for a speedy recovery. My property floods all the time but fortunately i live on top of a hill, while my land goes scuba diving, my house is dry.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Quak
That [bleep] storms runs right through the heart of Dow chemical. If Dow has a breach...kiss the Great Lakes good bye. Their silence is deafening. That would be major issue

Dow chemical is fine. The plant was successfully shut down, rail cars are secured and non-essential personnel were evacuated. The brine pond and a waste water pond was breached by Titabawassee river floodwaters and the Coastguard is on scene. Only one dam is gone, the Sanford dam is still intact but the structure is questionable. There hasn't been any concern about the Dow dam. Water level peaked around 3:00pm and are receding. Floodwaters were 3' over the max which was in 1986.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
GREAT NEWS!

Thanks for the update

GOD Bless America
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That is good news. Lots of customers calling today to see how bad it was, if the people they work worth were doing okay, and if there would be a gap in their ability to get product after this.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456

The Pebble Project near Lake Illiamna in western AK plans to build the largest dam in the World for a copper and molybdenum mine. Not only are they planning on using earth they plan to site it on a 2,500' deep( thick) tundra sponge.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Dow chemical is fine. The plant was successfully shut down, rail cars are secured and non-essential personnel were evacuated. The brine pond and a waste water pond was breached by Titabawassee river floodwaters and the Coastguard is on scene. Only one dam is gone, the Sanford dam is still intact but the structure is questionable. There hasn't been any concern about the Dow dam. Water level peaked around 3:00pm and are receding. Floodwaters were 3' over the max which was in 1986.

You good?

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by plainsman456

The Pebble Project near Lake Illiamna in western AK plans to build the largest dam in the World for a copper and molybdenum mine. Not only are they planning on using earth they plan to site it on a 2,500' deep( thick) tundra sponge.

You send Splatter his stock back yet?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

The country needs to come together to save Dow Chemical. The company has done so much for society. They gave us the silicone breast implant. We need to keep that plant running and expanding!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

You good?

Yup. I'm a mile from the river and about 35' above its high datum level. All of the road bridges that cross the Tittabawassee have water flowing over them and are closed. We can't go west unless we take I75 south down to 69 and then west.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MM879

The country needs to come together to save Dow Chemical. The company has done so much for society. They gave us the silicone breast implant. We need to keep that plant running and expanding!

Dow Corning is NOT Dow Chemical. Do pay attention.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I bet nobody in those areas is concerned about the Bologna Virus any more.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.