Print Thread
Hop To
N
NoPa Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Anyone here have any experience with the Case IH Farmall B Series Tractors with the CVT transmission? I am considering bidding on one at a local auction but when searching the tractor classifieds I am finding quite a few low hour machines for sale which gives me reason to wonder why. I checked several tractor forums but did not find much info on them and what info I did find was mostly second hand and mixed. I also noticed that Case IH no longer offers a CVT in the compact Farmall series.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We have one at work, 40 or so HP. Use it for brush hogging and light loader work with a bucket and pallet forks. So far it seems decent but we don’t have a lot of hours on it.

I may be a dinosaur but I still prefer a dual range manual transmission setup in a small tractor. Probably because that’s what I came up on and old habits die hard but I prefer a clutch.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TheKid

I may be a dinosaur but I still prefer a dual range manual transmission setup in a small tractor. Probably because that’s what I came up on and old habits die hard but I prefer a clutch.
I'm right with ya, Kid....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NoPa
Anyone here have any experience with the Case IH Farmall B Series Tractors with the CVT transmission? I am considering bidding on one at a local auction but when searching the tractor classifieds I am finding quite a few low hour machines for sale which gives me reason to wonder why. I checked several tractor forums but did not find much info on them and what info I did find was mostly second hand and mixed. I also noticed that Case IH no longer offers a CVT in the compact Farmall series.
Talk to Rocknbbar. PM him. I don't think he has one that size but he probably knows.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by TheKid

I'm right with ya, Kid....

Yeah, me too. I grew up in my Dad's garage working on everybody's old farm equipment. Splitting a tractor and installing a dual clutch once or twice in the life of a tractor is no big deal. Every Hydrostatic lawnmower I have ever owned, the hydro was the first thing that showed signs of wear, noise, leaks etc. No big deal, got good service out of them anyway and handy in a zero turn mower. I just prefer a manual clutch in a small tractor. Getting where I don't like working on stuff anymore.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would ask the question on the the Tractorbynet forums. I recall there were some issues with the CVT tractors.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by NoPa
Talk to Rocknbbar. PM him. I don't think he has one that size but he probably knows.

I'm not sure I'm much help with a CVT transmission in a small tractor.

I have a Case Farmall, but it's 100hp, and has the Powershuttle transmission. It's a bit more advanced. You don't even have to push a clutch in when you go from forward to reverse. Just throw the lever, and it slows, stops and reverses direction.

My tractor has had an issue with the front redaction hubs with the 4x4 system, but the factory fixed that, and it's been a good tractor since.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not Case IH but germane to CVT tractor transmissions,
Our neighbor had a 45+- New Holland with the CVT. We push a lot of snow around here and he only kept his a couple of years because it would not push or drag a load, especially up hill. He likened it to operating it with the park brake set. It did not do the job as well as the 40 hp tractor it replaced. Went to trade the CVT on a new tractor and found out they quit making the CVT. Had a slight problem trading it in. There is a reason.
I would not recommend a CVT in a tractor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AutoshopTeacher
Not Case IH but germane to CVT tractor transmissions,
Our neighbor had a 45+- New Holland with the CVT. We push a lot of snow around here and he only kept his a couple of years because it would not push or drag a load, especially up hill. He likened it to operating it with the park brake set. It did not do the job as well as the 40 hp tractor it replaced. Went to trade the CVT on a new tractor and found out they quit making the CVT. Had a slight problem trading it in. There is a reason.
I would not recommend a CVT in a tractor.

That's what I've heard as well. But I guess for some applications a CVT, if done right can work.

FWIW, a New Holland and Case are the same tractors, made in the same factory, by the same parent company. About the only difference is one is blue, and the other is red. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
NoPa Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Appreciate the information gents, looks like I should steer clear of this one.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.