Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Howa ceasing the manufacturing of the Alpine was a bummer. I don't know if it was a bad business decision or not; but, it was a bummer.

I heard on another forum that it was an issue with the supply of the Alpine stocks. It appears they are searching for a replacement stock.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If someone wants a Howa rifle that's a little lighter, the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness or Backcountry are always a choice. They are still heavier than a Tikka T3 Lite, however. The stock is kind of clunky as well, not in the same league as the Howa Alpine stock. But I like that the Vanguard has a 24 inch barrel as opposed to 20.

It's funny that Howa replaced the Alpine with the HS Precision model, which might actually be heavier than the normal Hogue-stocked model.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
At least Bansner is back in business and now has stocks for Rem 700 and Win 70. As time goes on I’m sure they will offer more action inlets. They are start priced at $425. Another option is Pendleton through Oregunsmithing. They make some real nice stocks starting at $650. They don’t mention Howa inlets, but do list Weatherby. Gotta think Vanguard is in the mix as Weatherby sells quite a few more Howa based actions then Mark V.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Easy to make a "budget" rifle not so "budget"! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rossimp
At least Bansner is back in business and now has stocks for Rem 700 and Win 70. As time goes on I’m sure they will offer more action inlets. They are start priced at $425. Another option is Pendleton through Oregunsmithing. They make some real nice stocks starting at $650. They don’t mention Howa inlets, but do list Weatherby. Gotta think Vanguard is in the mix as Weatherby sells quite a few more Howa based actions then Mark V.

My Old Goat hunting partner just put a Pendleton on his Mashburn and it seems to be a darned nice stock. No clue on weight though.

Semper Fi
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

I have $365 in mine total😉

Found a steal on a lightly used Alpine and sold the barreled action. Bought a 6CM package gun and sold off the stock and scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wesley2

Found a steal on a lightly used Alpine and sold the barreled action. Bought a 6CM package gun and sold off the stock and scope.

Nice work!

Darrik has a couple Alpines in 6.5 YouKnowWhat for a good price, but after a little vacillating, I decided to pass. On the other hand, I can pick up a LW barreled action from Brownells for about half the price of a complete rifle and do a switcheroo as "needed".

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Wesley2

Nice work!

Darrik has a couple Alpines in 6.5 YouKnowWhat for a good price, but after a little vacillating, I decided to pass. On the other hand, I can pick up a LW barreled action from Brownells for about half the price of a complete rifle and do a switcheroo as "needed".

I was just looking at them on Brownells myself and it looks like McMillan will fit any of their stocks they do for Sako's to the action. Their 26" semi heavy barreled 6mm CM might be a champ if you chopped it down to 22" and added a Sako Classic EDGE fill stock to it.. Pretty slick combo if it all just bolts together!

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I call them "stone soup" upgrades, in that you upgrade them a little at a time until you have more money into them than you ever intended.

That is why I struggle a little when deciding between buying Howa 1500s in lieu of Weatherby Vanguard 2s. I really dislike the stocks that come on the basic Howa 1500s, so I know that I'm going to have to install a new/different stock and I try to factor that into the purchase price if I'm considering one or the other of those two rifles.

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So...since I have an alpine stock, does anyone know where I might find one of the other models that uses the cerakoted, lwt action? The kuiu rifle is one for sure...or a barreled action? Or mebbe a vanguard compact? I want a 6.5 cm, just becz I have never tried one. Also might go std stainless. Looking to put a reasonably lit rifle together without breaking the bank.

I do have a compact vanguard 243 in the stock now...

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Legacy Sports puts a lot of things in the Howa catalog that aren’t always available for purchase. All their lightweight 20” barreled actions are available cerakoted, according to the catalog. Good luck finding them in stock somewhere. If it was me, I’d buy one of the newly available stainless Howa 6.5 standard weight actions and open up the barrel in the stock. Or you could sell your stock to me!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JRK
So...since I have an alpine stock, does anyone know where I might find one of the other models that uses the cerakoted, lwt action? The kuiu rifle is one for sure...or a barreled action? Or mebbe a vanguard compact? I want a 6.5 cm, just becz I have never tried one. Also might go std stainless. Looking to put a reasonably lit rifle together without breaking the bank.

Impact Guns and Midway show the .308 LWT in stock, they are about $150 more than I paid for my daughter's.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up an as-new Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 Greed that came with a set of Talley lightweight scope mounts out the door for $325. Like the stock much better than the Hogue that comes on the Howas. Really like the Bansner stock though, sweet looking and light! Too bad the Talley mounts were 30mm, I need a scope that'll fit!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Where can I get a std weight stainless? I could maybe pay the wt penalty for that...

Last edited by JRK; 05/20/20. Reason: Can't spell
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
z1r, there's Durlin/plastic bushings so you can use a 1" scope in 30mm rings. I use them, they work great and also protect the scope finish.

JRK, Brownels carry's them, I picked mine up from Whittakers Guns. But I did just have to keep looking until I found what I wanted in stock.

Picked up the Bansner stock here, in the free classifieds.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JRK

Not cerakote but lightweight...Here you go:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/barreled-receivers/1500-barreled-action-lightweight-blue-6-5-creedmoor-1-prod94589.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=BCC_6xzzx5%2bCreedmoor

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks. That is an option

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Be nice to get it in cerakote though. And the stainless idea would be awesome, although I understand that howa isn't making them, but I see above someone mentioned newly available...

Last edited by JRK; 05/21/20. Reason: Double post and added content
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JRK
Be nice to get it in cerakote though. And the stainless idea would be awesome, although I understand that howa isn't making them, but I see above someone mentioned newly available...

They had one in .223 in cerakote for $469 I believe.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,068
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.