-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a request for advice concerning a scope for shooting hogs at night. The situation is that we have educated our feral hogs to a point where they are totally nocturnal and extremely wary. In other words we only have the smartest ones left but there are plenty still around. Our method of late has been to dig post holes and put corn in them to make them work for the bait and stay in place a while. In the past I've used solar driveway lights to let me know they are present and a motion detector green light by Elusive Wildlife Tech. to provide light enough to shoot a hog at 200 plus yards in the dark. That coupled with a Leupold VX-R 4-12 firedot has worked fine. We have to stay across a wide bayou to keep the hogs from coming in downwind and can only hunt when the breeze is favorable, their main protection is their nose. The hogs we have left are completely allergic to light so now the plan is to put up a camera that will notify us when animals are present and show on a smart phone whether they are deer or hogs. All of this is background that leads to the question of what sort of night vision scope is available that will definitely clearly identify a target as a hog at 250 yards, will hold zero, and will not put me into bankruptcy. I can claim it as a business expense but 4 or 5 thousand dollars is not acceptable. Under a thousand would be nice.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Check out posts by BobbyTomek. He’s had loads of experience doing just that.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Look at Behrig I have a buddy who sales them. They are a lot more reasonable then reaprs or pulsars and have all the same benefits for a thermal scope. That’s all we use here on my stuff.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Weissman4
Look at Behrig I have a buddy who sales them. They are a lot more reasonable then reaprs or pulsars and have all the same benefits for a thermal scope. That’s all we use here on my stuff.

Link?

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here ya go we use the hogsters.

https://beringoptics.com/

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm still using feeder lights and scope lights but one guy that hunts with us has ATN Thor witch is a nice rig. Another guy has a Pulsar Thermal. I like the ATN because it mounts on 30 mm scope rings . Either way they both say it is not very comfortable to to sit behind the scope scanning for hogs hours at a time.

Kirk Furniss
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by blackpowder72
I'm still using feeder lights and scope lights but one guy that hunts with us has ATN Thor witch is a nice rig. Another guy has a Pulsar Thermal. I like the ATN because it mounts on 30 mm scope rings . Either way they both say it is not very comfortable to to sit behind the scope scanning for hogs hours at a time.

Bering does the same thing. Or you can mount them to your regular scope and have a thermal scope as well and a traditional scope.The creator was one of the lead engineers for pulsar. Don’t get me wrong I loved pulsar and even some of my ATNs, but why spend 5k - 8k.

Last edited by Weissman4; 05/21/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blackpowder72

I see an ATN Thor for $1199. We can wait for the camera to tell us a hog is there. I'm wondering about out to 250 yards and ability to hold zero. Will be studying for reviews. Don't need recording or bells and whistles, just need to see without light. We've got smart hogs. About the only way to kill them is from a distance at night without a light. They are very trap shy and I don't use snares or poison.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We have 2 Thor thermal scopes in service and they will get the job done.

They did not break the bank,for the money it's a good deal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The ones we use are the 3x6 power.

They are not that heavy.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
All hogs are jumpy as hell! That’s why you run thermal and suppressed equipment. I’ve waited all night in corn fields before just trying to kill one monster boar that’s to smart for his own good.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at the ATM THOR LT on AMAZON. The reviews are mixed. I have a Remington 700 with a #4 Douglas barrel 25 inches long. It already has 30 MM rings and is an accurate rifle. It could become my dedicated night rifle as I have a Jap Weatherby Vanguard2 that is my favored .30-06 for daytime also very accurate. No telling how many predators and depredators it has killed including over 100 hogs and maybe 2 dozen pit bulls. I wonder about the ATN THOR LT holding up to .30-06 recoil but I don't like the idea of 200 Yards plus on hogs with .223.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Weissman4
All hogs are jumpy as hell! That’s why you run thermal and suppressed equipment. I’ve waited all night in corn fields before just trying to kill one monster boar that’s to smart for his own good.
When one gets hard to kill I'll go exclusively after him. When Louisiana had almost non existent trespass laws the Cajuns kept the hogs killed out.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Hastings
I'm looking at the ATM THOR LT on AMAZON. The reviews are mixed. I have a Remington 700 with a #4 Douglas barrel 25 inches long. It already has 30 MM rings and is an accurate rifle. It could become my dedicated night rifle as I have a Jap Weatherby Vanguard2 that is my favored .30-06 for daytime also very accurate. No telling how many predators and depredators it has killed including over 100 hogs and maybe 2 dozen pit bulls. I wonder about the ATN THOR LT holding up to .30-06 recoil but I don't like the idea of 200 Yards plus on hogs with .223.

If that’s your daytime rig to then just get a clip on thermal objective for your scope. I’m not real sure about the 30-06 thats why I would look at a Bering clip on thermal objective. Then your not worried about your internal reticle on a thermal scope. 200 yards on a pig with a .223 is average. If you want more then look into a 350 legend. That’s what I have now. Here’s a little clip of the Bering hogster we use for coyote / pig hunting trips here in OK.

https://youtu.be/ux6GkIvK6jc

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Armasight Vulcan 3.5-7, 5/6 year old technology, may be better out there cheaper, don't know, don't keep up with every new offering, but they work damn good.

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Can you trap them?

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
The LT is serviceable to maybe 100 yards. ATN's customer service is horrible. Pulsar Core rxq30v is really nice, just sold mine and ordered a hogster 35mm though. Sounds like for what you're doing a Sightmark Wraith would be perfect. I hunt with a few guys that have them and they're very impressive, they work really well together with someone using a thermal scope to scan or a hand scanner.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Can you trap them?
Very smart and trap shy. Snares would work but I'm not willing to risk the by-catch. The ATN THOR_LT is the only one near my price but it has too many bad reviews and probably won't work at the range I need it for. I guess we'll try to acclimate the hogs to a dim 12 volt light bulb and continue to weed out the dumber ones.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (06hunter59, 1lesfox, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.