Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I sold off most of a 25 year collection of military surplus weapons to start to accumulate some nice hunting guns a while back and although I do regret it some times I get more use out of the shotguns.

AWESOME GUNS, ALL !!!!

It's priceless when you can still go and make memories with them. I'm on the cusp of deciding to liquidate some rifles I've accumulated and buy some higher end shotguns. ............. I am 90% a bowhunter........and 10% a flintlock hunter. I like looking at my rifles. But that's about all I do.................look at them. There's virtually no upland hunting to be had here, anymore. Pheasants are put & take and my pointing dogs have been gone for over a decade. Grouse......which were THICK here 30 years ago.......... are now statistically extinct. But there's always sporting clays. Always wanted to try that.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1912 Charles Daly 16ga with 28" barrels weigh in at 5#7oz. My sweet little bird gun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wow !!!!!

Love the engraving. Very crisp for a gun approaching 110 years old. 👍👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow!!

A nice Daly like that is on my bucket list. Just have never been in the right place at the right time with the right amount of $$$.

That is a beauty for sure, outstanding condition too!

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dukxdog
1912 Charles Daly 16ga with 28" barrels weigh in at 5#7oz. My sweet little bird gun.

Lindner?

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Merkel box lock side plated post war gun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Only two 16 gauges at my house.................and NOTHING like what's already been posted. But, thought it'd be neat to post my late father in law's 37 Featherlite on, this day, what would have been his 80th birthday.

6 1/4 lbs of pure, simple, carry-all-day, small game joy.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

And then, my own post-war Winchester 21. 6 3/4 lbs of American cool.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by dukxdog

Lindner?

Yes it is.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Alright here are mine

Auto 5’s

BPS Grade 3

525 Grade 3 sporting

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1955 win M12 28" mod vr, b carved w/ custom inlays.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Model 12:

Parker:

Which has a 3inch chamber:

Last edited by battue; 06/08/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Battue...........you've been holding out on us! Where did you find a Parker with 3" chambers AND antique 3" 16 gauge shells? I'm gonna have to Google that one. Found a professionally refinished Parker Trojan not too far away. What are your thoughts on this as a first SXS gun for a newbie like me? Just started loading for the 16 and in a modern gun have you tried TSS yet? Good looking 4 legged buddy you got there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bartman.....

That Parker came from a friend of my Fathers by the name of Bardwell....he was an entusiastic Pheasant hunter and used to show the old reel movies of his Pheasant hunts in S.D. Wild Birds in numbers we can only imagine. I don't know what the limit was back then, but it must have been generous or none cared all that much.....That shotgun has killed a lot of Pheasants. The shells came with the shotgun when my Father bought it from him....There was also a hang tag that indicated 3inch chambers along with the pattern percentages of the barrels.... It has unfortunately crumbled apart years ago....I questioned the 3 inch chambers to those on the Parker Gun Collectors forum and it didn't cause them to get too excited. They knew about them, but said it did little for rarity....

My Father bought it from Mr Bardwell and used it during the good times of Pheasants here in Pa, and then it passed to me.

For some odd reason, I tend to use a gun with a Dog...That black Cocker was Toby and I used the Parker and the Model 12 with him mostly...those or a Model 59 if I was feeling evil..Toby passed two years ago and for the most part have used an Ithaca 37 28 Gauge with the new guy Merlot....Although, I'm thinking it is time to bring the SxS's back out.

A professionaly restored Trojan would be a better than good shotgun....And a lot better than most of what we see used today....It would make a great gun for a newbie or experienced SxS user....Have used 9 shot TSS in the 28Gauge....It's it no longer your Grandfathers 28 when one does so....

Addition: I have had Dukxdog's above posted 1912 Daly Lindner 16Gauge SxS in my hands.....Nothing posted here is it's equal for quality, balance and looks when it comes to a field shotgun....

Addition 2: Looks like back then you could also get a Winchester Model 21 in a 3 inch 16 gauge....

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=127864

Great forum on Parkers:

http://parkerguns.org/

Last edited by battue; 06/09/20.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful guns there battue... I remember Maj. Charles Askins writing about a 3” 16 ga.. No sure now the brand, but Ithaca was a favorite of his.. Nice stuff... But I don’t think I ever owned a 16 ga... That was my dream gun when I was 12 years old.. A model 12 16 ga. 28 “ mod. Choke.. I begged my parents for one for Christmas... No luck.. I is a wonder I never bought one as it was a favorite of two of my favorite writers, Maj. Askins and Elmer Keith... Enjoy!!!!!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Ithaca 16ga
I got the Ithaca at a great price because of the Polychoke.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, mine aren't real fancy, but do have a couple of Ithacas - a Model 37 and a much older SXS. The 37 is a King Ferry production gun from the 90's. Came with a 26" IC barrel (shown), also picked up a 28" with choke tubes. The SXS is a gun that my father had since the 50s, don't know enough about these to tell you what model it is or when made - can't make out the serial #. It's choked IC/MOD. Still haven't mastered getting the @#$% pics from the gallery to a post! HA - got it!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/132133.jpg
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/132134.jpg

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeL2; 06/18/20.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Well, mine aren't real fancy, but do have a couple of Ithacas - a Model 37 and a much older SXS. The 37 is a King Ferry production gun from the 90's. Came with a 26" IC barrel (shown), also picked up a 28" with choke tubes. The SXS is a gun that my father had since the 50s, don't know enough about these to tell you what model it is or when made - can't make out the serial #. It's choked IC/MOD. Still haven't mastered getting the @#$% pics from the gallery to a post! HA - got it!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/132133.jpg
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/132134.jpg

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Any of you more knowledgeable folks want to take a stab at the model - is this SXS a Flues?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This one just showed up today....1930 Parker....28 inch....Mod/Mod....Miller trigger....

Last edited by battue; 06/22/20.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dang, but that's a nice gun !!!

👍👍

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Very nice Battue!! I would bet that you and Merlot just can't wait until the leaves turn orange. What kind of loads do you recommend in vintage shotguns? I have looked at the RST, what are your thoughts? I ask because one of these is going to show up at my house next week and as a new guy I need to know what to feed it.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.