Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/economy/washington-adds-more-than-145000-weekly-jobless-claims-as-coronavirus-crisis-lingers/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BNA_052120213842+BREAKING+Scam+steals+%e2%80%9chundreds+of+millions+of+dollars%e2%80%9d+in+Washington_5_21_2020&utm_term=

Washington has lost ‘hundreds of millions of dollars’ to unemployment fraud scheme amid coronavirus joblessness surge

By Paul Roberts and Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporters
Washington state officials have acknowledged losing “hundreds of millions of dollars” to an international fraud scheme that stung the state’s unemployment insurance system and could mean even longer delays for thousands of jobless workers still waiting for legitimate benefits.

Suzi LeVine, commissioner of the state Employment Security Department (ESD), disclosed the staggering losses during a news conference Thursday afternoon. LeVine declined to specify how much money was stolen during the scam, which is believed to be orchestrated out of Nigeria. But she conceded that the amount was “orders of magnitude above” the $1.6 million that ESD reported losing to fraudsters in April.

LeVine said state and law enforcement officials were working to recover as much of the stolen money as possible. But she declined to say how much had been returned so far. She also said the ESD had taken “a number of steps” to prevent new fraudulent claims from being filed or paid but would not specify the steps to avoid alerting criminals.

Thursday’s disclosure helped explain the unusual surge in the number of new jobless claims filed last week in Washington. For the week ending May 16, the ESD received 138,733 initial claims for unemployment insurance, a 26.8% increase over the prior week and one of the biggest weekly surges since the coronavirus crisis began.

That sharp increase came as the number of initial jobless claims nationwide fell 9.2%, to 2.4 million, according to data released earlier in the day by the Labor Department.

Indeed, the surge in claims made Washington the state with the highest percentage of its civilian labor force filing unemployment claims – at 30.8%, according to an analysis by the Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan Washington, D.C., think tank. Nevada, the next-highest state, reported claims from 24.5% of its civilian workforce.

The disclosures come as the state was already struggling to process an unprecedented wave of legitimate jobless claims amid one of the worst economic crises in U.S. history. Some additional delays in benefits payments to legitimate claimants are likely as the ESD subjects all claims to more scrutiny.

“This makes me the most angry, and the most upset,” LeVine said. “That we need to delay payments to Washingtonians who need the benefits, but we need to also build in more time for analysis. So going forward, we want to set expectations that we will add an additional one to two days to our processing time.”

That delay follows a decision last Thursday to temporarily suspend benefit payments for two days. The delay came after the ESD disclosed that it had seen a surge in bogus claims reportedly filed by identity thieves who appeared to be targeting the extra-generous benefits available under federal pandemic relief legislation.

That same day, the U.S. Secret Service issued an alert describing Washington as the top target so far of a Nigerian fraud ring “exploiting the COVID-19 crisis to commit large-scale fraud against state unemployment insurance programs.”

On Wednesday, the state’s monthly employment report for April showed Washington with a seasonally adjusted unemployment rate of 15.4%, up from 5.1% in March. The national unemployment rate for April stood at 14.7%, seasonally adjusted.

Last edited by Lennie; 05/21/20.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yep, I received a letter last week from the WA. Employment Securities Department stating that if I wanted to keep receiving my unemployment benefits that I must go to job seminars, look for work, etc. My claim number and date of initial claim was provided. THe letter was definitely from the State. I work for a regional government agency & could tell it looked legit.

The problem is that I am still employed and have been with the same employer for over 31 years.

I went on-line and filled out a fraud report.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure WA is not the only state, and not even by Nigerian scam artists either. With many people getting an extra $600 a week for unemployment, there's not a desire for many to go back to work. That's what happens when you live off the government teet. Heck, even my buddy's daughter that's in high school and works just a few hours a week at the local swimming pool in their town is drawing unemployment while the pool is currently closed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Might they notice if a few thousand checks were all going to the same address/bank account?

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Preview of how well “vote by mail” will go.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nigerians....rrrriiiiggghhhtt.
State paying out with bitcoin?
Doesn't pass the sniff test.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Naw, it wouldn't, would it?...................say it ain't so.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vote by mail is a vote for democrats.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Vote by mail is a vote for democrats.

Yep we are fuuucked if that is allowed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No Federal bailouts......let stupid hurt.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No chit ..who didn't see it coming......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
beats sending it to africa

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Yup.
I still get ballots for my married daughter under her maiden name who re-registered under her married name, 8 years ago!

And my deceased mother!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Redistribution amigo. Get your ass to work. There are people in Minnesota counting on you.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Illinois, but still ain’t going back to work.

Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Redistribution amigo. Get your ass to work. There are people in Minnesota counting on you.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just checked the bank and my unemployment check didn't go in from last week yet so I went to the unemployment web site and read about the delay because of the web site hack and all the fraud investigations. I've only been off a week and have a few bucks in savings so I'm fine but folks that have been off a while and depend on that check showing up on a certain day might have a problem. I remember not so many years ago when I lived check to check and a few days could make the bill collectors start calling.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Serves the democrap cesspool right.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.