A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 280shooter
This will take the edge off of the price:

Komodo Kamado

That would be a tough pill to swallow when you look compare it to the BGE and the like.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I finally ended up placing my order. Decided on one of the brand new SS versions of the MAK 2 Star General. They don't start shipping the first units until tomorrow.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been considering the Jim Bowie from Green Mountain Grills, there's a place down the road from the last job I ran that stocks them...they are built stout as hell far as I can tell.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Green Mtn Daniel Boone. It works great. In very cold weather, it eats pellets like crazy so I I finally bought an insulated blanket for it. It reduced pellet usage in cold weather dramatically. It also helps some in hot weather. There's no need to remove it in the summer.
I've had it several years. Last fall I did have to get a new drive unit for the auger as a gear wore out. It's an easy fix once you get the part.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I just got the smoker today and I cant even believe how well built this thing is. I honestly don't know if I've ever owned anything built this well. They didn't skimp on anything on this. Even places where they didn't need to use as heavy of steel they still did. All in I think it's over to 250 lbs of stainless steel. It was very expensive, and still exceeded my expectations by a mile. Now I just need to wait for some help so I can lift the smoker onto the cart and finish assembly.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just in time for the weekend.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Just in time for the weekend.

Yeah. I'm hoping to properly break it in the next few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used a Weber Smokey Mountain for so long that it’s allowed me to change my fantasy smoker 3 times.

The value of a BGE is the insulation. That damn thing is so efficient, you virtually never have to add charcoal. That’s one thing about my WSM that makes me want to move on. Depending on the outside temp, I may have to refill twice when I’m smoking a butt. That’s 3 fills. I even made a mini-smoke house for it in the winter. I have a Digi-Q that keeps it rock steady at any temp I want, but it’s still no BGE.

After seeing a friend’s puck smoker, I considered that, but those pellets and pucks seem proprietary to me. I’ve never used anything but lump, but if lump isn’t available, I could use briquettes.

The one that currently has my eye is the offset. No bowl to clean and you don’t have to worry about fat dripping on the coals and making the meat bitter.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone know where a Tip Top Temp Control be purchased?

Website says Unavailable.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by hanco
What is a pellet smoker?

I had rather have one of those Hanco cookers. They are really made in USA and heavy duty.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by RayF
I’ve used a Weber Smokey Mountain for so long that it’s allowed me to change my fantasy smoker 3 times.

The value of a BGE is the insulation. That damn thing is so efficient, you virtually never have to add charcoal. That’s one thing about my WSM that makes me want to move on. Depending on the outside temp, I may have to refill twice when I’m smoking a butt. That’s 3 fills. I even made a mini-smoke house for it in the winter. I have a Digi-Q that keeps it rock steady at any temp I want, but it’s still no BGE.

After seeing a friend’s puck smoker, I considered that, but those pellets and pucks seem proprietary to me. I’ve never used anything but lump, but if lump isn’t available, I could use briquettes.

The one that currently has my eye is the offset. No bowl to clean and you don’t have to worry about fat dripping on the coals and making the meat bitter.

Wow, my 18” WSM will rock on for 8-10 hours no problem at 250-275 without me ever touching it. I usually put one chimney of unlit Kingsford charcoal in it, make kind of a hole in the middle and put 25-30 lit briquettes in the hole, throw a few chunks of wood on top in different spots, assembly it and let her rip. It’s ready for meat 10-15 minutes. I also never use water in the pan but always wrap it in foil and leave it in.

Thought about a BGE many times but really just don’t see the need. My only complaint with the WSM is its too small sometimes and 3 racks of baby backs is all I can fit on the top rack. Don’t the lower rack much.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ray, FOGO charcoal is the cat's meow!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

I bought mine on Amazon

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Side note, BGE makes a wifi/bluetooth enabled "bellows" that fits into the bottom of the BGE:

https://biggreenegg.com/product/egg-genius/

It gets great reviews - set a temp and it maintains it, reports temp back to your phone or laptop. 16+ hour smokes +/- 2 degrees with ZERO intervention.

I only mentioned it for reference. Although I am a BGE fan, I don't own one of these (and likely won't), but there are other similar products on the market for other brands, FWIW.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by 700LH

I bought mine on Amazon

Thank you, one is ordered.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
Wow, my 18” WSM will rock on for 8-10 hours no problem.......

Do you use a Texas Crutch? I’ve never had a smoke less than 15 hours and it usually goes to 18 or more at 210 degrees.

Original fill of lump coal around 10:00pm. Refill at 6:00am and another around 2:00pm.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I ordered a RecTec 700 last Sunday. Supposed to be here in a week.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
Wow, my 18” WSM will rock on for 8-10 hours no problem.......

Do you use a Texas Crutch? I’ve never had a smoke less than 15 hours and it usually goes to 18 or more at 210 degrees.

Original fill of lump coal around 10:00pm. Refill at 6:00am and another around 2:00pm.

Not usually on a butt unless I'm in a hurry. But I cook a bit hotter than 210, usually around 250-275, wherever it settles in. I also try to use butts that are around 7-8 pounds. They'll usually run around 9-10 hours until they hit 198, which is when I usually pull them.

I use to fight the thing hard, trying to maintain 225 and such, but I can't really tell any difference in meat done at 225 versus 275, so I quit fighting it.

I almost always use a texas crutch on ribs though, just because they seem to turn out better that way. Did 4 racks on it yesterday that turned out pretty good.

I hardly ever do brisket, so it suits my needs. Still wish I had gotten the bigger one though.

Last edited by KoolBreeze; 05/26/20.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Just did my first smoke on the new smoker over the weekend. It was a 17 lb brisket that I'd guess was about 13 trimmed. Might have been the best brisket I've ever eaten.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/130865.jpg

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/130866.jpg

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/130867.jpg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by duck911
Side note, BGE makes a wifi/bluetooth enabled "bellows" that fits into the bottom of the BGE:

It gets great reviews - set a temp and it maintains it, reports temp back to your phone or laptop. 16+ hour smokes +/- 2 degrees with ZERO intervention.

I only mentioned it for reference. Although I am a BGE fan, I don't own one of these (and likely won't), but there are other similar products on the market for other brands, FWIW.

Originally Posted by duck911

I have had one of these for about a year, the Egg Genius. Works like a champ. Can make a 16 hour brisket smoke super easy. Set the pit at 225 and I will pull the brisket when the meat probe hits 204.

I am a massive fan of the BGE, have owned mine for at least a dozen years. But admit if money was no object I’d also own a MAK 2 star.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
359 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.