Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ok fellers, I know this may sound ridiculous to many, but I’ve had enough of this Fort Knox Packaging [bleep].

So, I had to go to Lowes today to pick up some items. One of those items was a clunky, mostly plastic, Lufkin L1016C tape measure to replace my 35+ year old, nice, slim, all steel, made in USA, Stanley 16-footer that was recently stolen. The packaging Lufkin designed for this tape measure is, by far, the most difficult to deal with of any of the packaging I have ever encountered in my life. I tried industrial shears, a shop knife, and diagonal cutters to extricate the tape measure from the packaging. I finally had to result to brute force to remove the tape from the packaging, which of course, destroyed the tape measure clip. Not only that, but once removed from the packaging, the clip had adhesive residue all over it from the back label of the packaging. Now go ahead and tell me how much you love spending your hard-earned cash to purchase a product only to find out that 1) Godzilla would scarcely have better luck separating the product from the packaging, 2) there’s label adhesive is all over it once you finally remove the item from the packaging, which must be removed, and 3) you then put your reading glasses on and take a closer look at the packaging only to see the small print in the bottom left corner: “Made in China.”

So, what happens when some old-timer deeply gashes himself with a knife or other tool and bleeds out as a direct result of the incredible forces required to remove his new Chinese tape measure from it’s ridiculous packaging? I'm willing to wager that the savings and increased profits Lufkin realized from moving production to China will be substantially impacted.

I cannot express the profound disappointment and frustration I experienced trying to remove something as simple as a Lufkin the tape measure from its infernal packaging. There is absolutely no reason in the world to design packaging that is so difficult to open. For F*cks Sake, it’s a $10.00 f*cking tape measure! Hell, I'd pay twice that for a proper American made all steel tape without any packaging at all.

Why can’t a guy just go the hardware store and purchase a proper steel, Made in America tape measure and immediately start using it? They don’t even sell tapes like that anymore – today, they’re all Tactical Chinese tape measures with 3 or more different types plastic that have “cool” designs molded in, finger grooves, auto-locking, double end hooks and all different colors. They’re all about 3” wide and weigh about as much as a cinder block and they’re all packaged to a ridiculous level. & that f*cking tactical plastic case won’t last 35 years, I’ll tell you that. This tape will be going back to Lowes and I’ll look on flea-bay for a proper vintage tape.

End rant.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/21/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup. Kid bought something and it was packaged beyond ridiculous.

Scissors aint got enough oomph.

Pocket knife....could get expensive

Think straight cut tin snips the cure

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
... as far as I can tell, the reason that the tape was so difficult to remove from the packaging is b/c the genius who designed Lufkin's packaging decided that it would be a good idea to put not only a little step on the packaging for the clip to slip over, but also to inject mold the packaging plastic into a hole that's located directly in the middle of the steel clip. There's simply no way to get a tool in there to cut away the plastic that's been molded through that hole, which essentially "welds" the tape measure to the packaging.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/21/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a 4" scar on my arm from opening a blister wrapped POS. Knife slipped and cut the artery in my wrist. Almost bled out! Went to the fire station nearby and when I took my finger off the cut I shot blood on the firetruck.

I don't understand why any manufacturer thinks packaging like that is ok.

LOL
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I love when you need a damn knife to open the packaging that a knife comes in. I think it's a sinister trick they are playing. They know you don't have a knife on you or you wouldn't be buying the knife. A beaver couldn't chew through some of these plastic contraptions that they put stuff in.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Younger brother works a HD, dept mgr...single most stolen item in the tool section...yep you guessed it TAPE MEASURE....after inventory a few years back, the details came back that almost exactly half of the tape measures that 'came in the through the back door", left without being paid for...

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny, had the same running gun battle just last weekend with an overpriced pos ace hardware tape, but it being the only one on the rack smaller than an 80’s walkman, bought it for glovebox. The packaging however, same as yours, was surreal.

Hope jeff o never needs to buy a tape measure.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Younger brother works a HD, dept mgr...single most stolen item in the tool section...yep you guessed it TAPE MEASURE....after inventory a few years back, the details came back that almost exactly half of the tape measures that 'came in the through the back door", left without being paid for...

Maybe the solution is to just give the cheap chinese tape measures away for free? Loose leader so to speak.

Packaging sucks. If an item I buy has a plastic safety seal around the cap (think spices, vitamins and such), why the heck does it need some little foil/paper/plastic seal over the top of the bottle that requires the cap to be taken off, after removing the first safety wrap, then try to pull the liner good off, which tears in pieces, which then requires a knife to go around the rim to remove the rest of the dang thing before one can use the contents????

And, this makes sense too, open the little cardboard box on your toothpaste, remove or flip the lid, squirt some toothpaste right on your brush. I guess they're not concerned with toothpaste contamination, which goes directly into your mouth???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Seriously, a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel would make quick work of it.

LOL
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Genius at work!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two thoughts:
1) Some prick will be along to say that he wishes getting a package open is his biggest worry.
2) As is so often pointed out on the 'fire (especially in the optics forum), manufacturers always produce what the buyers want.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Genius at work!

Pretty good for the third dumbest guy on the fire huh? Course I had to go to the emergency room first, but hey, who's counting?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ha

I had to employ my Knipex channel pliers to get a Gatorade open. I keep that set in my nightstand.

I always ask, what the hell do old people do? Some stuff I have opened with tin snips.

Had to practically squat down with most of weight on a pickle jar, lol. I thought is was going to break before it finally let loose. Course then pickle juice all over myself and the floor.

First world problems but, for real.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Maybe the solution is to just give the cheap chinese tape measures away for free? Loose leader so to speak.

Nice tribute. Lol

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston

Nice tribute. Lol

Then just put them in a locked case like they do for those incredibly expensive Commie, socially engineered, whiz-bang, tactical, 6-blade, lubricating stripped, jack-off Gillette razor blades.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My nemesis are cold cereal inner package. By the time i get them open the bag is torn clear to the bottom or the cereal is all over the counter.
I refuse to buy anything packaged in a molded package. I strive to watch my language and try not to use profanity. Those things make me sound like a CPO or a 60's DI!

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/21/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

Nice tribute. Lol

I figured WTF, maybe someone would correct me!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deerstalker
My nemesis are cold cereal inner package. By the time i get them open the bag is torn clear to the bottom or the cereal is all over the counter.
I refuse to buy anything packaged in a molded package. I strive to watch my language and try not to use profanity. Those things make me sound like a CPO or a 60's DI!

After an attempt or two doesn't open my bag of Cheerios, the scissors come out.

That and the dang boxes with so much glue the tops tear before they separate into two part. I've been opening cereal boxes for over 5 decades, one might think they'd have that issue solved by now. But, as long as they can still use the tooling, they'll run it into the ground before they even attempt a fix.

fugginpackagingcompanies fugginupeveryfugginthing

In it is contentment

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Surgical scissors work great for this crap. I have a few sets around the house.

Also "Vintage" Stanley tape

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Have you considered scissors?

- Del Gue
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.