Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pahntr760: Thanks for the link. NOS like that is probably hard to find.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/21/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Hard-ish to find, but quickly becoming my preferred wat to acquire tools.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way back in the '70s in marketing class the subject of the American proclivity for overpackaging was touched on. Pick your rationale but Americans seem to think you get more value the more the packaging. And of course there's shop lifting., a major cost these days Much easier to slip a Lufkin in your pants if you take it out of the package. (Not sure I'd want a Lufkin in my pants without sufficient drinks first.)

I have a pair of cheap aviation snips on the peg board that ghave gotten used on plastic armor packaging more than sheet metal.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Agreed. Unless you want to pay Snap-On or MAC money for tools, it's difficult if not impossible to find American made tools in any store. You pretty much have to find vintage American made tools somewhere online.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Agreed. Unless you want to pay Snap-On or MAC money for tools, it's difficult if not impossible to find American made tools in any store. You pretty much have to find vintage American made tools somewhere online.

All too true. I am having a very hard time finding socket sets made in the USA that are not cost-prohibitive.

Otherwise, pliers, screwdrivers and such can still be found made in current production. ie; Channellock, Bondus and some others.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good, vintage American socket sets come up on flea-bay on fairly regular. Keep your eye out & create and then save your search parameters, then you'll be notified one's posted for sale. I've found many hard-to-find items that way.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We still need that tool forum I suggested.

- Del Gue
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
We still need that tool forum I suggested.

That would be one of two ways, I see it.

Good advice or a constant pizzing match. Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ha

I had to employ my Knipex channel pliers to get a Gatorade open. I keep that set in my nightstand.

I always ask, what the hell do old people do? Some stuff I have opened with tin snips.

Had to practically squat down with most of weight on a pickle jar, lol. I thought is was going to break before it finally let loose. Course then pickle juice all over myself and the floor.

First world problems but, for real.

Cheap strap wrench. Brookstone back when they were good sold a pretty version with a hardwood handle. Looked at it, faced palmed for one of those "Doh!" Homer moments. But did buy one for my parents.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just showed this to my 9 yr old granddaughter and she asked, Grandpa, is that guy not any smarter than the packaging?

Kids say the darndest things.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Interesting, a hunting forum where nobody carries a pocket knife.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, good thing it wasn't a box of bullets....... wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hell, I'd pay twice that for a proper American made all steel tape without any packaging at all.

This tape will be going back to Lowes and I’ll look on flea-bay for a proper vintage tape.

End rant.

I suggest you get a Stanley "Fat Max" tape. They do cost about 20 bucks but they are made in the U.S. with "global materials" and are an excellent tape. The markings on them are very easier to see for us "middle aged" guys.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Tool...atmax+tape&qid=1590142299&sr=8-1

Can't say as I remember any issues defeating the packaging it came in...... laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never had a 25' tape measure I really like until last year when I found a Milwaukee tape measure on sale. It's all I'll buy now on sale or not.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RJY66
Hell, I'd pay twice that for a proper American made all steel tape without any packaging at all.

This tape will be going back to Lowes and I’ll look on flea-bay for a proper vintage tape.

End rant.

I suggest you get a Stanley "Fat Max" tape. They do cost about 20 bucks but they are made in the U.S. with "global materials" and are an excellent tape. The markings on them are very easier to see for us "middle aged" guys.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Tool...atmax+tape&qid=1590142299&sr=8-1

Can't say as I remember any issues defeating the packaging it came in...... laugh

Just bought a two pack of those about a month ago.

They had the plastic clip hole packaging as well. But I won that contest, thus proving that I was indeed smarter than the packaging... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This has become my second favorite pet peeve, my first being bad grammar, unless its me doing the bad grammar of course. I keep a pair of scissors in strategic places for that dumb Chit. I don't get it. I can see the reason for food items or toothpaste or medications but why do they think they need "people proof" packaging on items not meant for consumption? It's like they do it for kicks. I can just see the guy who designed it laffing his ass off. I want to punch him out and I don't even know him.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/22/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lol, good thing it wasn't a box of bullets....... wink

Come to think of it, I've never seen Ammo stupidly packaged like that.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Filaman
This has become my second favorite pet peeve, my first being bad grammar, unless its me doing the bad grammar of course. I keep a pair of scissors in strategic places for that dumb Chit. I don't get it. I can see the reason for food items or toothpaste or medications but why do they think they need "people proof" packaging on items not meant for consumption? It's like they do it for kicks. I can just see the guy who designed it laffing his ass off. I want to punch him out and I don't even know him.

They engineer retail packaging like that to make it harder and more time consuming for in store thieves.

Can't say as I blame them for that. You and I absorb the losses due to shoplifting...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Go to your Wifes knife blocks in the kitchen, mine has a couple pairs of heavy duty scissors, she uses them to cut/snip veggies from the garden, I use them for that "straight from hell" plastic clamped/melted packaging, slices that chit with ease.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.