Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm trying to pick a scope for my Ruger 77/357. I am leaning toward one of the older Burris 4x Compacts because of it's size and lightness (if I can find one in matte black) and because I think they just look right on a small carbine (small scope, no objective lens bell), But these days there are all kinds of 1 - 4x scopes with newer lens coatings that might (or might not) be a little brighter than the Burris, I can't especially come up with a reason to want variable power. I think 4x will give me a few minutes of low light shooting more than a 2 /12 or 3x, but I'm not at all certain that I would notice the diffeence.

Apart from being fun to shoot, it's my short-range Ohio deer gun. I appreciate your thoughts; thanks in advance.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Weaver V 1-3x20 Bright, good FOV, good adjustments, small, very light weight, inexpensive, more than enough magnification for the cartridge and would look superb on the 77/357. RJ

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A month or so ago I moved a Sightron 2.5x32 shotgun/ML scope to mine. I really wish I could find a few more of those scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have trouble getting scopes where I want them on that family of rifles. Long ER and straight objectives help.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I recently bought a Ruger 77 .260 RSI. I put a Leupold Freedom 1.5-4X20 pig plex on it with low rings. Sighted it in 1.5' high at 100 yds. Lots of eye relief. Clear. Bright/sharp enough for carrying around in the woods deer hunting. Looks good on the short rifle. I would highly recommend it for the 77/.357. I posted a pic of it on another thread.

Last edited by Moses; 05/21/20.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll start researching them. The Leupold Freedom 1.5-4X20 with the duplex reticle is one of the ones I've been looking at.

Edit: What benefit is there to a variable for short-range hunting? I almost never get a shot on deer more than 100 yards.

Last edited by Steven60; 05/21/20. Reason: question
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Little benefit from variables at close range. Pic below is a Leupold compact M8 2.5. They aren't making them in this form anymore but they can be found on the used market. I purchased 2 for $75.00 each.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another good one is the El Paso Weaver K2.5

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The advantage is being able to access a huge FOV. Now if your shooting deer out of a fixed blind/stand it isn't that big of a deal but if your a tracker or still hunter having a large FOV gives you faster target acquisition and to be able to see openings ahead of a moving critter for a shot. Then if you have a longer shot where you have to make a precise shot or thread one through the timber you have the ability to turn up the power. I don't hunt big game much anymore, but when I did my rifles wore Weaver V-3's, V-4.5 and Leupold VariX 1-4's. Now I hunt called coyotes and my coyote rifles wear Leupold 1-4's on the combo guns and 1.5-6 on the rifles. "There is always time to turn the power up, never time to turn it down" so mine stay on the lowest power all the time.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best thing to buy would be a burris full field 2 in 2-7

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by rj308
Weaver V 1-3x20 Bright, good FOV, good adjustments, small, very light weiound onght, inexpensive, more than enough magnification for the cartridge and would look superb on the 77/357. RJ

Found one vendor that still has these. The stated eye relief is 3". Does that sound right?

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

3” sounds a touch short but I could be wrong. I’ve had mine on a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, an H&R 30-30 and something else and I’ve never gotten bit. The V3 is a good little scope.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steven, if scoping your 77/357 is like my 77/22 on low Ruger rings, I have been pleasantly surprised that I can fit my Leupold 3-9x33 EFR Rimfire and still clear the barrel. Fact is that when I measured the objective lens diameter on my Vari-X lll 2.5-8x36 that objective is even smaller than the EFR Rimfire 33 and that would fit in the low rings as well. Ruger ships medium rings with those 77/22's and I assume the other 77's as well. I have a round shaped face and since the distance from my eye to my cheekbone is less, a low scope mount has always fit me the best. Most guys never even consider the shape of their face and mount big objective scopes too high on the rifle. I'm a woods hunter and deer appear fast and not for very long. I want a low mounted scope with a huge exit pupil so that precise eye positioning isn't necessary to get the full field of view. Big deer are paranoid and mine are in or very close to cover. Often as not I need to pick apart the brush with a good scope to get a bullet through holes in the cover. I've had straight power and compact variables and never again. Having some variable magnification to help see brush that can deflect your bullet is an advantage. I'll never get to Africa hunting, but I read a lot of gun and hunting magazines and lots of guys who scope their dangerous game rifles scope them with that 9 ounce Leupold 1.5-5x20 scope. My 99 .300 Savage wears one and you could choose far worse for a woods rifle. A 2-7 or 2.5-8 would probably fit too, but measure first.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Keep an eye out for quality 1-4 or similar On here

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Windfall
Steven, if scoping your 77/357 is like my 77/22 on low Ruger rings, I have been pleasantly surprised that I can fit my Leupold 3-9x33 EFR Rimfire and still clear the barrel. Fact is that when I measured the objective lens diameter on my Vari-X lll 2.5-8x36 that objective is even smaller than the EFR Rimfire 33 and that would fit in the low rings as well. Ruger ships medium rings with those 77/22's and I assume the other 77's as well. I have a round shaped face and since the distance from my eye to my cheekbone is less, a low scope mount has always fit me the best. Most guys never even consider the shape of their face and mount big objective scopes too high on the rifle. I'm a woods hunter and deer appear fast and not for very long. I want a low mounted scope with a huge exit pupil so that precise eye positioning isn't necessary to get the full field of view. Big deer are paranoid and mine are in or very close to cover. Often as not I need to pick apart the brush with a good scope to get a bullet through holes in the cover. I've had straight power and compact variables and never again. Having some variable magnification to help see brush that can deflect your bullet is an advantage. I'll never get to Africa hunting, but I read a lot of gun and hunting magazines and lots of guys who scope their dangerous game rifles scope them with that 9 ounce Leupold 1.5-5x20 scope. My 99 .300 Savage wears one and you could choose far worse for a woods rifle. A 2-7 or 2.5-8 would probably fit too, but measure first.

Thank you. I probably should have mentioned that the whole rifle (S/S) is getting reworked. The metal is out for salt bath nitriding, including the lowest Ruger rings. I've got a pattern stock (mannlicher style) almost finished (from a 700 ADL donor) with the comb raised (so I can look through the scope AND have a good cheek weld) to be copied in walnut this summer. I like the 1" objective on a carbine (i.e. no bell), because I saw a picture of Francis E. Sell's 6.5 x 55 mannlicher stocked rifle and have liked it ever since.

I hunt my own place almost exclusively and am getting to the point of needing to sit in a blind because my knees are telling me my still-hunting days are past (unless I'm on flat ground, which I hardly have any of). I tend to let the bucks go by because I just hunt for the " dinner table trophies". So the shots will probably be close and slow (although I practice my offhand snapshot religiously). I figure the habitat improvements I've got underway will give me more opportunities since the hardwood canopy is taking the edges away. I actually prefer the kind of hunting you do, but am having to make adjustments for age. I haven't gotten a deer for two years now, so I'm taking the hint about creating cover and food plots, which I never had before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steven60
Weaver V 1-3x20 Bright, good FOV, good adjustments, small, very light weiound onght, inexpensive, more than enough magnification for the cartridge and would look superb on the 77/357. RJ

Found one vendor that still has these. The stated eye relief is 3". Does that sound right?

From my experience that is correct. Great glass on the little Weaver, but crappy eye relief and bad tunnel vision effect on anything over 1X. I greatly prefer the Leupold 1-4x20 or 1.5-5X20 scopes in their many V and X and Roman numeral iterations.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Midway shows eye relief of the Weaver V3 at 4.13" https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009768280?pid=183610

I have one and I would have to agree with them when set to the 1X setting. It is a little less at 3x, but definitely not 3". RJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

From my experience that is correct. Great glass on the little Weaver, but crappy eye relief and bad tunnel vision effect on anything over 1X. I greatly prefer the Leupold 1-4x20 or 1.5-5X20 scopes in their many V and X and Roman numeral iterations.

In fairness, I have not purchased a new Weaver 1-3 in likely 10 years. Things made have changed since then.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have one of the recent Weaver K-4's on my 77/357. It makes a dandy combination in my experience.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

In fairness, I have not purchased a new Weaver 1-3 in likely 10 years. Things made have changed since then.

TnBigbore, that may be the case. I bought mine about 2 years ago and it appears to have the advertised 4.13" eye relief on 1x and about 3,75" on 3x. No tunnel vision from 1x to 3x. RJ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK, just to make sure I was not hallucinating about the eye relief on the Weaver V3, I just had my wife measure the eye relief on this one while I held the rifle steady on a rest and got a perfect sight picture through the scope on 1x and 3x. She said, without actually touching my eye with the scale, it looked like "4 and one fourth inches", on 1x and "3 and three fourths inches" on 3x. So I think the 4.13" spec is right on for 1x and damn near 3.75" on 3x. Also there is no tunnel vision at 1x on up to 3x and the image is crystal clear all the way to the edges. IMHO this is probably THE best value in a low powered variable rifle scope. And if I am correct, Weaver has discontinued production of this model. RJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.