-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the craftsman tape measures at Lowe’s are made in good ole USA.

Prolly rebranded Stanley’s.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just another example of the negative impact thievery has on everyone. Higher prices, Eyes-in-the-Sky everywhere, ink bombs and anti-theft devices on clothing (ever have to remove one of those when the store clerk fogets?), higher prices for everything, and of course, this.

My ex worked in a chain hardware store, and the amount of theft and fraud that goes on would astound you. Two solutions come to mind: end self-service and set up like an inner-city convenience store, or simply ask the service desk to open the package before you leave. The second would require surrendering your man-card of course.

I use a big pair of tin snips or game shears to open stuff; sometimes I have to make a pilot cut with my knife.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/22/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Filaman
This has become my second favorite pet peeve, my first being bad grammar, unless its me doing the bad grammar of course. I keep a pair of scissors in strategic places for that dumb Chit. I don't get it. I can see the reason for food items or toothpaste or medications but why do they think they need "people proof" packaging on items not meant for consumption? It's like they do it for kicks. I can just see the guy who designed it laffing his ass off. I want to punch him out and I don't even know him.

The time you spend here must be filled with anguish and rage.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Younger brother works a HD, dept mgr...single most stolen item in the tool section...yep you guessed it TAPE MEASURE....after inventory a few years back, the details came back that almost exactly half of the tape measures that 'came in the through the back door", left without being paid for...

Maybe as part explanation, I've seen tape measures sprinkled all over my local HD store. I'll guess that people decide they want to measure something while in the store and just go over to the tools section and grab a tape measure. I've seen the HD associates do this even. Once they measure the item, they just leave the tape measure where they put it. This doesn't explain how the tape measures then migrate to outside of the store, but at least its one data point.

This might also explain why they make the packaging so hard to extract the tape measure from: not to protect the product itself, but to protect the sku or chip that comes on the wrapping at least until its out of the store....

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by High_Noon
ok fellers, I know this may sound ridiculous to many, but I’ve had enough of this Fort Knox Packaging [bleep].

So, I had to go to Lowes today to pick up some items. One of those items was a clunky, mostly plastic, Lufkin L1016C tape measure to replace my 35+ year old, nice, slim, all steel, made in USA, Stanley 16-footer that was recently stolen. The packaging Lufkin designed for this tape measure is, by far, the most difficult to deal with of any of the packaging I have ever encountered in my life. I tried industrial shears, a shop knife, and diagonal cutters to extricate the tape measure from the packaging. I finally had to result to brute force to remove the tape from the packaging, which of course, destroyed the tape measure clip. Not only that, but once removed from the packaging, the clip had adhesive residue all over it from the back label of the packaging. Now go ahead and tell me how much you love spending your hard-earned cash to purchase a product only to find out that 1) Godzilla would scarcely have better luck separating the product from the packaging, 2) there’s label adhesive is all over it once you finally remove the item from the packaging, which must be removed, and 3) you then put your reading glasses on and take a closer look at the packaging only to see the small print in the bottom left corner: “Made in China.”

So, what happens when some old-timer deeply gashes himself with a knife or other tool and bleeds out as a direct result of the incredible forces required to remove his new Chinese tape measure from it’s ridiculous packaging? I'm willing to wager that the savings and increased profits Lufkin realized from moving production to China will be substantially impacted.

I cannot express the profound disappointment and frustration I experienced trying to remove something as simple as a Lufkin the tape measure from its infernal packaging. There is absolutely no reason in the world to design packaging that is so difficult to open. For F*cks Sake, it’s a $10.00 f*cking tape measure! Hell, I'd pay twice that for a proper American made all steel tape without any packaging at all.

Why can’t a guy just go the hardware store and purchase a proper steel, Made in America tape measure and immediately start using it? They don’t even sell tapes like that anymore – today, they’re all Tactical Chinese tape measures with 3 or more different types plastic that have “cool” designs molded in, finger grooves, auto-locking, double end hooks and all different colors. They’re all about 3” wide and weigh about as much as a cinder block and they’re all packaged to a ridiculous level. & that f*cking tactical plastic case won’t last 35 years, I’ll tell you that. This tape will be going back to Lowes and I’ll look on flea-bay for a proper vintage tape.

End rant.
I hear ya re: packaging.. Ya risk slashing a wrist or finger amputation just trying to get these G$!#^!n things open...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lol, good thing it wasn't a box of bullets....... wink

Come to think of it, I've never seen Ammo stupidly packaged like that.

A member here did, he couldn't get a box of Noslers open.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Funny, had the same running gun battle just last weekend with an overpriced pos ace hardware tape, but it being the only one on the rack smaller than an 80’s walkman, bought it for glovebox. The packaging however, same as yours, was surreal.

Hope jeff o never needs to buy a tape measure.

laugh laugh laugh

Dave

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh hell................

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Dave

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Packaging is my #1 gripe...look in your garbage...90% of it is nothing but packaging .

And yeah, its always Ft. Knox style.

If the package says " Easy Opening"...get out your knife.

If to says " Easy Opening, Reclosable" get out your knife AND scissors...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
On the other side of packaging, how about the resealable food packages that don't reseal? We don't fight them. We just keep a supply of old fashioned spring clothes pins in a kitchen drawer to close packages, bread loaves, etc.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ha

I had to employ my Knipex channel pliers to get a Gatorade open. I keep that set in my nightstand.

I always ask, what the hell do old people do? Some stuff I have opened with tin snips.

Had to practically squat down with most of weight on a pickle jar, lol. I thought is was going to break before it finally let loose. Course then pickle juice all over myself and the floor.

First world problems but, for real.

They sell a lid remover to open them dam pickle (and other) jars, makes it easy.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Fed up with the plastic packaging. Doesn't matter if it's Lowe's or the auto parts store. I always ask someone behind the counter to open the dam thing after I paid for it. Put the item in my sack. Oh-you can keep the packaging.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A couple of thoughts:

As others have noted, the main reason seems to be to discourage theft, aka inventory slippage in bizspeak.

We are a retired couple who live modestly, not big consumers. Yet, the big trash can dedicated to recyclables like paper and plastic fills up at an astounding rate.

Finally, hell for a packaging engineer should be to spend eternity opening the stuff he has designed. No tools allowed. Right next to the cubicle for the owners and managers of telemarketing outfits.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
This has become my second favorite pet peeve, my first being bad grammar, unless its me doing the bad grammar of course. I keep a pair of scissors in strategic places for that dumb Chit. I don't get it. I can see the reason for food items or toothpaste or medications but why do they think they need "people proof" packaging on items not meant for consumption? It's like they do it for kicks. I can just see the guy who designed it laffing his ass off. I want to punch him out and I don't even know him.

The time you spend here must be filled with anguish and rage.

wutz, gramer' meen !anyhowl

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Designing packaging is an industry in China. We dont get it for free

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bought one Fat Max tape measure and found it folds like a cheap hooker. Much prefer my old Stanleys.

Vintage American wrenches and sockets can be found at pawn shops by the bucket. Build your own sets. Also yard sales. Couple years ago I bought a bucket of ratchets and extensions in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" for less than $20. Threw three away that had no warranty, Sears replaced 2, and ended up with a dozen and a half good vintage ratchets, plus many extensions. Still haven't made it to a pawn shop myself to complete some sets. And the best part, NO PACKAGING!

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/22/20.

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All steel. No metric scale.
You can thank me later. 😁

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Interesting, a hunting forum where nobody carries a pocket knife.

I've kept an old stag handled hunting knife on my work bench for decades. One early morning, with my first cup of coffee, I went to open a new aquarium air pump wrapped in that hard plastic. Working my knife and cutting into the hard plastic my knife slipped and I accidentally poked a can of spray paint sitting on the work bench.

I hit that can of white spray paint perfectly square and I was suddenly blinded in the face with spray paint hissing and spinning paint everywhere. Went to grab the can and get a finger over the knife hole and dropped it spraying myself again. Finally got ahold of it and threw it in the trash can still spraying and hissing.

Walked in the house to take a shower and wife says, "what happened to you?"

"Don't ask."

To this day my workbench and vise and garbage can all have white paint all over it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mrchongo
All steel. No metric scale.
You can thank me later. 😁
Steel's good. However, with so many things being metric anymore, a metric scale is very useful. It is nice being able to read inches on both sides of the tape, though.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Redneck

I hear ya re: packaging.. Ya risk slashing a wrist or finger amputation just trying to get these G$!#^!n things open...

Damn right! I sliced a good pair of jeans and almost cut my leg open when the knife slipped a couple years ago. I generally use a heavy duty pair of shears now. It is mainly to reduce theft which wouldn't be a problem if there were some punishments for theft, but that isn't PC these days. F'ing losers should have a finger cut off for each offense.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.