Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I also have been looking at .204 Ruger in a CZ 527. Maybe save about $400 over the Winchester.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own several model 70's in Classic configuration as well as two pre 64's. The Portugal versions are very well put together with good fit and finish. The Portugal version I own has a Timney trigger and all seems excellent. I bought it used with the trigger installed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To configure the action so the old style trigger cannot be retrofitted was a big error in judgement.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
To configure the action so the old style trigger cannot be retrofitted was a big error in judgement.

DF

Amen. I have a new 325 WSM and it's going to likely get a Timney before I am through...

The old trigger just made life easy...

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I believe it was BobinNH who said a NH M-70 was a “project in a box” or something to that effect. The later ones, for sure.

I’ve never fooled with an MOS trigger, but some say with some tweaking, spring swaps, MOS can be about as good as a Timney. Think I’d rather have the Timney or a Trigger Tech.

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I believe it was BobinNH who said a NH M-70 was a “project in a box” or something to that effect. The later ones, for sure.

I’ve never fooled with an MOS trigger, but some say with some tweaking, spring swaps, MOS can be about as good as a Timney. Think I’d rather have the Timney or a Trigger Tech.

DF

Yup, it was Bob who said that, and he wasn't wrong. I have some good Classics but they have been far away from perfect outta the box.

Agreed about the MOA, if Trigger Tech made a trigger for them, it'd be on order.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I typed MOS instead of MOA. Not sure if that was an accident or a spin off of POS... blush

laugh

I have an early NH, .375 H&H. It did need some tweaking, but is a pretty nice shooter. Barrel was too heavy, but a flute and chop job helped. Those barrels shoot too good to discard.

And, the old style trigger, as noted by others, can be tuned into a really nice, crisp pull. I did mine and it's great. And, about as bullet proof as any trigger.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I typed MOS instead of MOA. Not sure if that was an accident or a spin off of POS... blush

laugh

I have an early NH, .375 H&H. It did need some tweaking, but is a pretty nice shooter. Barrel was too heavy, but a flute and chop job helped. Those barrels shoot too good to discard.

And, the old style trigger, as noted by others, can be tuned into a really nice, crisp pull. I did mine and it's great. And, about as bullet proof as any trigger.

DF

HA! It could have been a slip I guess! I'd agree with it.

Yeah, the old trigger is a danged good hunting trigger, but I have even seen Classic triggers that were crap and just needed to be replaced. Sloppy tolerances and the MIM sorta metal just didn't do much for them. I have adjusted a few myself, Kevin Weaver has done a few, but the best I have ever felt to date with the Simillion reworked and thinned trigger shoes.. My God are they sweet.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

laugh

DF

HA! It could have been a slip I guess! I'd agree with it.

Yeah, the old trigger is a danged good hunting trigger, but I have even seen Classic triggers that were crap and just needed to be replaced. Sloppy tolerances and the MIM sorta metal just didn't do much for them. I have adjusted a few myself, Kevin Weaver has done a few, but the best I have ever felt to date with the Simillion reworked and thinned trigger shoes.. My God are they sweet.

Nothing like the touch of a master...

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Are we ragging on the old M70's or loving the new M 70's?????

I am confused.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cisco1

Are we ragging on the old M70's or loving the new M 70's?????

I am confused.

Hmmm ...

By “old” you mean NH? If so what era, as quality varies. I assume you’re not including Pre-64.

By “new” you mean SC or BACO?

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Well ,

I know every Pre-64 , that I scoped , had to have the bases shimmed. There are quite a few.

I still have them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cisco1

Well ,

I know every Pre-64 , that I scoped , had to have the bases shimmed. There are quite a few.

I still have them.

I’ve had to do the same myself. They aren’t infallible either.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by beretzs

Agreed about the MOA, if Trigger Tech made a trigger for them, it'd be on order.
That... IIRC, I contacted TT a few months ago and they indicated they're working on it...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's good to hear. Might just spring mine for now and wait a bit to see if TT releases one. I have nothing but praise for their 700 triggers.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm confused. I thought the primary complaint regarding the MOA trigger is that it is "enclosed" and therefore more subject ot getting clogged by dust, ice, WD40, etc.

Looking at the TriggerTech website, it appears that their trigger is enclosed, also. I have found the BACO triggers to be good out of the box and very good with a new Ernie spring. Not sure I understand the desire to switch.

Not trying to start anything, just trying to learn....thanks

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
ST, I don’t particularly care that it’s enclosed but it has a pile of parts in there that could get gummed up much easier than a TriggerTech. None of them are horrible but I’ve just never gotten an MOA down to 2.5lbs which is where I like my bolt gun triggers. This new one is pretty heavy but I’ll try a spring and see what happens first before investing in the TriggerTech or Timney.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ok, thanks for the clarification!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I feel the same here. I have 2 South Carolina Featherweights that are far and above much better than my New Haven Featherweight. Better tolerances, very smooth bolt movement. The New Haven gun is a 6 digit gun bought new in the mid 90's and the action is very sloppy, lots of tool marks and of course the POS OEM trigger is floppy side to side like all of them are, giving you varying weights of pull. The BACO guns are the best M70's ever made. RJ

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I don't have any M 70's after NH production.

No bias .....and would have some if I was in the right place at the right time.

But, I am pretty full of M 70's.

I really was filled up when I was in a little GS in Northern WI. and the owner had the opportunity to buy out his distributor's inventory of M 70's , just when NH went tits up.The GS often had a lot of deals that his distributors came to him with.

So I poked my head in the door......it wasn't long until I bought a bunch of them . As if M 70's come in bunches.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.