Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
There's a lot of really good documentaries on tonight on the National Geographic channel. One in particular is "Hero's of the Sky's. The Mighty 8th Air Force" a new one that I've not seen before which says it was first shown last week. A 2 hour documentary that covers the 8th from conception. Starts again at 1 am Pacific Time. Its the best I've seen on the air battle over Europe. Mentions the orders and cover-up of deliberate bombing of civilians pretty good also.

Phil

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Mighty 8th Air Force museum is about 5 miles from my house.
Some of the vets are volunteers at the museum, though fewer and fewer as time goes on.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Very cool museum.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Mighty 8th Air Force museum is about 5 miles from my house.
Some of the vets are volunteers at the museum, though fewer and fewer as time goes on.

Close by to me as well. I’m near Pooler (Where it’s located) everyday.Taken my kids a few times and used to have an lot of functions there from where I work.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Greyghost
There's a lot of really good documentaries on tonight on the National Geographic channel. One in particular is "Hero's of the Sky's. The Mighty 8th Air Force" a new one that I've not seen before which says it was first shown last week. A 2 hour documentary that covers the 8th from conception. Starts again at 1 am Pacific Time. Its the best I've seen on the air battle over Europe. Mentions the orders and cover-up of deliberate bombing of civilians pretty good also.

Phil

Yep.
It was quite a presentation.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wish that was there in the mid 80's when i was stationed at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah ,would love to seen that

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad went to England with the 8th. He worked for the civil service as a airplane electrician. When he returned to the US he was drafted into the Army. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The 8th was used as a terror force. The commanders were war criminals responsible for more civilian death and suffering than the SS.

My Grandpa was in the 8th though...a navigations officer on a 17 and later 24. Brave bunch of guys...it’s a shame they were used the way they were

Last edited by Quak; 05/22/20.

GOD Bless America
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Quak
The 8th was used as a terror force. The commanders were war criminals responsible for more civilian death and suffering than the SS.

My Grandpa was in the 8th though...a navigations officer on a 17 and later 24. Brave bunch of guys...it’s a shame they were used the way they were

They didn’t start it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
26,000 KIA. That's more than the Marines in the Pacific.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by viking

They didn’t start it.

And they were doing what it took to finish it.

Civilians do bear responsibility for the actions of the government they select and support.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebombing

...Although simple incendiary bombs have been used to destroy buildings since the start of gunpowder warfare, World War I saw the first use of strategic bombing from the air to damage the morale and economy of the enemy, such as the German Zeppelin air raids conducted on London during the Great War. The Chinese wartime capital of Chongqing was firebombed by the Imperial Japanese starting in early 1939. London, Coventry, and many other British cities were firebombed during the Blitz by Nazi Germany. Most large German cities were extensively firebombed starting in 1942, and almost all large Japanese cities were firebombed during the last six months of World War II...

...Early in World War II many British cities were firebombed. Two particularly notable raids were the Coventry Blitz on 14 November 1940, and the blitz on London on the night of 29 December/30 December 1940, which was the most destructive raid on London during the war with much of the destruction caused by fires started by incendiary bombs. During the Coventry Blitz the Germans pioneered several innovations which were to influence all future strategic bomber raids during the war.[2] These were: The use of pathfinder aircraft with electronic aids to navigate, to mark the targets before the main bomber raid; The use of high explosive bombs and air-mines coupled with thousands of incendiary bombs intended to set the city ablaze. The first wave of follow-up bombers dropped high explosive bombs, the intent of which was to knock out the utilities (the water supply, electricity network and gas mains), and to crater the road — making it difficult for the fire engines to reach fires started by the successive waves of bombers. The follow-up waves dropped a combination of high explosive and incendiary bombs. There were two types of incendiary bombs: those made of magnesium and iron powders, and those made of petroleum. The high-explosive bombs and the larger air-mines were not only designed to hamper the Coventry fire brigade, they were also intended to damage roofs, making it easier for the incendiary bombs to fall into buildings and ignite them. As Sir Arthur Harris, commander of RAF Bomber Command, wrote after the war:

In the early days of bombing our notion, like that of the Germans, was to spread an attack out over the whole night, thereby wearing down the morale of the civilian population. The result was, of course, that an efficient fire brigade could tackle a single load of incendiaries, put them out, and wait in comfort for the next to come along; they might also be able to take shelter when a few high explosives bombs were dropping. ... But it was observed that when the Germans did get an effective concentration, ... then our fire brigades had a hard time; if a rain of incendiaries is mixed with high explosives bombs there is a temptation for the fireman to keep his head down. The Germans, again and again, missed their chance, as they did during the London blitz that I watched from the roof of the Air Ministry, of setting our cities ablaze by a concentrated attack. Coventry was adequately concentrated in point of space, but all the same, there was little concentration in point of time, and nothing like the fire tornadoes of Hamburg or Dresden ever occurred in this country. But they did do us enough damage to teach us the principle of concentration, the principle of starting so many fires at the same time that no firefighting services, however efficiently and quickly they were reinforced by the fire brigades of other towns could get them under control.
— Arthur Harris, [3]...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

They didn’t start it.

Civilians do bear responsibility for the actions of the government they select and support.

Does Quak even realize he just called his grandfather a terrorist?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
My Grandfather is the one who told me about what they did. The airmen were not terrorists...they had no idea what they doing to the people 10000ft below

Blame those that gave the orders and picked the targets. Absolute war criminals

FYI...Hitler was not elected

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

They didn’t start it.

The 8th didn’t finish [bleep]. German production ramped up all the way until the end. Russia did what it took to finish the job make no mistake

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
US “Jabos” on the other hand were highly effective

GOD Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Until one has actually been in combat, it would be wiser to with hold judgment.
My father was with the 8th AAF as a bombardier on B-24 heavy bombers.
Thirty (30) missions over Germany. He saw many of his friends shot down and lost.
The 8th AF Museum at Barksdale AFB, LA. now holds his uniforms, escape maps, and cold weather gear.
Barksdale is the home of the 8th AF current Global Strike Force-(B-52s).

Whether "Bomber" Harris or Curtis LeMay, the idea was to crush the enemy
and force a settlement or surrender. Ask the Belgians what they think of having to endure German
troops raping their women for two separate wars-or the Russian women.
Most Americans have not endured combat, and are not up on their own history
much less WWl or WWll in-depth military history.
Truman made the right decision to finish Japan's war fighting capability. A pox on those who think that
an invasion of Japan would not have cost a large number of American lives.

Lt Col HR Marriott
Vietnam 71-72
MACVSOG 5th Special Forces Gp(ABN)
NRA-Life

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".- Plato

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
How many Belgian civilians did the Wehrmacht Intentionally kill?

For the last time...I’m not blaming the airmen. The murder of civilians falls on the part of command.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes those poor Germans, they would never bomb civilians.
Ever hear of the blitz? 40k to 43k civilians killed by the Germans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
So that makes it ok for us to do it? Seems it initially was a mistake of bomb scuttling by a German pilot that led the Brits bombing german cities...it escalated quickly.

The German mistake to bomb the cities likely cost them the war imho. Had they have destroyed the RAF and taken England...they would have been a stronger position to confront communism.

GOD Bless America
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.