-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How many of you anneal your bottle neck rifle brass that you use for big game hunts. How often do you anneal if the same brass is fired in the same rifle and minimally sized for that rifle? Do any of you anneal 45-70 brass? After all these years and reading about it I am going to try MD's candle annealing.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I anneal every firing. I use the Annealeez machine so it takes a couple minutes. I figure it keeps everything the same each time.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every 4 reloads. Second reloads for hunting.

Last edited by Bob338; 05/22/20.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by beretzs
I anneal every firing. I use the Annealeez machine so it takes a couple minutes. I figure it keeps everything the same each time.

PSA: Do not confuse Annealeez with Analease. They are not interchangeable.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hookset
Originally Posted by beretzs

PSA: Do not confuse Annealeez with Analease. They are not interchangeable.

Thank you for the warning! grin

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
PSA: Do not confuse Annealeez with Analease. They are not interchangeable

Oh crap!

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just may experience a burning sensation..

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[quote=Vic_in_Va]You just may experience a burning sensation..[/quotto e]
I try not to think of such things.

Seriously, there's a time to anneal but I don't think it's every firing. The old standard guide line was every ten reloadings. Just my honest opinion.

I guess it depends on what you're doing with your rifle. But for a hunting rifle (That's what I do) unless you're a prairie dog hunter and shoot 300-400 rounds an outing, I doubt you'll shoot enough to do it more than a couple times a year, IF you have any amount of brass. I've got enough .270 brass to where I don't need to anneal more than once a year.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/23/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks to mule deer, I also candle anneal, every other loading, and I have implemented his tricks to reduce case neck run out/ seated bullet run out. Both, steps have aided my load development for my 308. I am now fine tuning an accuracy load for my Tikka TAC T3X3.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
How many of you anneal your bottle neck rifle brass that you use for big game hunts. How often do you anneal if the same brass is fired in the same rifle and minimally sized for that rifle? Do any of you anneal 45-70 brass? After all these years and reading about it I am going to try MD's candle annealing.

I do.

I prefer a propane torch with a very low flame....no soot. For jacketed bullet loads, about every 3-4 load cycles. Cast bullet cartridges get the torch every 2d load cycle. That includes such things as the .38-55 and .45-70.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two machines, an Anealeez and a Benchsource. Both work great.

I anneal every 3rd loading. That has extended the life of the cases for for my Garand by quite a bit. I would typically get 8 to 10 loadings before the necks started splitting, now 20+ is possible and the condition of the extraction groove usually dictates case life. With my hunting rifles, the feedback from sizing/seating is much more uniform.

As for .45-70, with Starline brass and loaded to low pressure, the cases would soot up for their entire length. After annealing, the seal was much better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I anneal, but have not been doing so long enough to be able to give solid data from my own experiences. I have a good friend that's a very competitive F-Class shooter and he anneals (with the AMP machine) every loading. I have been following the "every 3-4 loadings" guidance, using the candle method.
My two big lessons so far:
1) Don't use a candle - make (or buy for about $5) a denatured alcohol lamp. It burns a little hotter (seems to me) and leaves no soot at all on the case.
2) I bought some 750 degree Tempilaq. I've watched some videos on its use but I can not perceive a big change in its appearance before the case becomes too hot to hold. So I am at least pretty sure I am not hurting my case heads. I'm open to advice on the Tempilaq and using it in conjunction with DNA lamp annealing. Right now I'm painting a stripe from the shoulder to the mouth and letting it dry, then annealing. Since there is no soot I can view its behavior well.

Cheers,
Rex

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
TRexF16, thanks for the tip on the alcohol lamp! I will look into that.You tube has some vids on that process. I like the idea of no soot to deal with, one less P.I.T.A. step in the process. Time saving here and there is a good thing. I could just be me, but the feel of bullet seating in annealed cases is more consistent and seems easier. Blue

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every third loading with a small torch. Once you get the touch for the right temp it goes really quick with no soot.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's also really easy to do it with a propane (or natural-gas) cookstove.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I pickup an Anneal-rite that I saw MD post about. Got tired of burning my fingers.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a small propane torch and anneal every 2 or 3 firings.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

555 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.