Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
#2 and #3 son came down the farm for the holiday. They invited all their friends for a campout. They've got a bunch of cars up here at the house. I suspect there is over a dozen 20-somethings down at the campsite. I'm staying at the cabin up by the road to catch the latecomers and get them to stay put until the one vehicle with 4-wheel drive can come and retrieve them. The campsite is out back more than a 1/2 mile away.

So far, I've got a good 30 years on the oldest that's shown up. It's a nice bunch. One chick showed with a Queen T-Shirt. I commented on it. It turns out it was her parents'. (Sigh!)

The back bedroom is filled with gun cases and ammo. Moose bought himself a new industrial-strength clay thrower, and I suspect everyone is going to want to have a go at the 200 yard gong tomorrow. The bedroom looks like the onset of Armageddon, and the Living Room is stacked waist high with clays. I look around the cabin and realize I've raised my sons right.

I think we can expect a good time to be had by all this weekend.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sounds like fun!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I keep Narcan and ipecac at the house.

just in case

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
I keep Narcan and ipecac at the house.

just in case

These are a far more sedate bunch than that. The drug of choice seems to be beer. They're having fun for sure. I heard them until I drifted off. They probably won't make a peep until 0930 or later. I plan on hiking down and seeing what they serve for breakfast.

One very lovely lady was introduced to me. She was wearing a Queen T-Shirt. She was having trouble figuring out who I was and how I fit into things. I explained that Queen became popular the year I graduated high school. Were I to be doing the same-- wearing a shirt from my parents' generation, my T-Shirt would be showing the Glen Miller Orchestra.

They're a nice bunch. It makes me feel good that my sons have picked these kind of people. It also makes me feel good that we've got a bunch of largely conservative gun-loving folks coming up in the world. I'm also happy that I can get along with them. The farm has become a nexus for my sons' social life. I suspect I'll be seeing a lot of these people in the years to come, and they sure beat the hell out of the band of misfits I brought around my parents at this age.

I especially remember this one chick I used to bring around that used to set them off. She was an art major. She was about 5-foot-nothing with a chin and nose that nearly met. She had frizzy dark brown hair that surrounded her like a halo. She wore a black overcoat and a derby, and she looked like a rabbi. We didn't date; we just hung together. My folks never could figure that one out. Strange thing: if you talked to that woman, she had the keenest insight into fashion I've ever seen. For instance, remember the painters' pants craze in the late 70's? She predicted it a good 5 years before. She also predicted harem pants for men. She now makes hats somewhere out in the Pacific Northwest.

Truth be told, I started camping in order to get away from that crowd. I'd gotten everyone so used to hanging out at my place, that if I wanted peace and quiet, I had to go somewhere else for the weekend. That also led to hanging with my gun nut friends. Here it is 40 years later, and my sons are all big on camping and guns. Go figure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like your chaperone days are over. Ya done good. 😎

Sam......

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds like folks are going to have a great weekend,
just make sure the shootins over before the "shine" comes out. grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I know the satisfaction you feel when you are able to quietly sit back and survey what you’ve created. When we’ve done it right, as it sounds like you have, we feel the nostalgia of passing a little bit of our childhood down to our kids, along with the simplicity and innocence that accompanied those simpler times. We get a chance ourselves to look back and be thankful for the opportunity to be boys that were raised by real men and a loving mother.

If we’ve done our jobs as fathers correctly then we get to sit proudly at that campfire and we should thank God that our children want to be around us and that they’re compass always points to the safety and comfort of home.

It sounds like you guys have done it right! Enjoy the weekend surrounded by your success.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
UPDATE:

It was wet when the weekend started, and it got wetter as it went. It has been clouding up every day and we've been getting pretty good thunder-bumpers in the late afternoon and into the evening. Most folks parked up at the house. #2 son, Moose has been ferrying stuff back and forth in his S-10. One fellow decided he was cool and drove a 2WD Suburban out to the campsite. Yesterday afternoon, about half the crew decided it was time to blow. Mister Suburban got it in his head he'd drive the extra 500 yards through the woods so he could park right in the middle of camp to pack up. This time of year, we park vehicles in a pasture and walk in-- it's only about 20 yards. There's another way through a logging road, but it's a hairpin turn on a muddy track and you need 4WD. I was just lying down for a nap when the phone call came. Mister Suburban had buried it up to the axles.

I had driven my Dad's old Caddy down, because the Silverado was in the shop. The Silverado is a 4X4, and it goes just about anywhere, anytime. The problem was that the S-10 I use at the farm for this sort of thing died last fall, and the fellow as moving the winch over to the Silverado-- that's why it was still in the shop. I called him up. He said he had everything ready to go, except the power connectors to the winch which was now mounted on the trailer hitch. He said he'd rig it temporarily to a loaner battery and it would be ready within the hour. I took off with Angus for the trip over.

Long Story Short:

We got the Silverado out to the Suburban just as it was clouding up for the daily monsoon. Mister Suburban had not only buried it up to the axle but slid it behind a tree. I got it out of the rut by rigging a snatch block to a tree and pulling at a 90-degree angle. That way I could keep the Silverado out in the pasture on more solid ground. I then did something similar, rigging the snatch block to trees and pulling the Suburban from the front to get it back on the track and up to where the Suburban could get traction. I had #2 and #3 doing all the grunt work to give them some training. At some point Mister Suburban said he could take it from there and managed to spin the tires and get the Suburban going sideways again. It's hard to tell a grown man he can't drive his own vehicle, but I got Moose back in the driver's seat and off we went.

Oh, one more stop! Everyone that was leaving decided to pile all their stuff in the Suburban. That took a while, and meanwhile the clouds were getting darker and we were hearing thunder. I took point on the way out and Moose drove the Suburban and we made it out before the clouds opened up.

I have to drive by the garage on the way out and return the battery.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks a lot, Mr Suburban guy!
I’ve known a few of those guys

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 05/25/20.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.