Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Camp can sleep 25 Im hoping to find out this weekend, about making it, if my old Bud Jerrys up for the trip!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlering
Camp can sleep 25 Im hoping to find out this weekend, about making it, if my old Bud Jerrys up for the trip!

Hope you guys can make it!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For anyone wanting to see some beautiful Savages (the rifles, not the participants) I'd encourage you to go. If I could make it I'd be tent camping out there on that beautiful green grass under the trees. Gorgeous setting. It was fun sharing rifles and everyone that wanted to shoot had plenty of rifles to choose from. Really enjoyed meeting all of you guys.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As a matter of record, a buddy and I just put 40 rounds through that same 303 rifle smacking rocks at 150 yards. Deadly as heck.

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by topnotch99
I would drag brother LOGGAH out but hard to get him out of town .And i'm not sleeping with him in the back of my pickup !!! and would love to get in on a shoot off . 5 shot group might be better

[b]

Sounds like a bit of fun sport. But, it should be decided, 1895/1899/99 only, 1 cold shot closest to X, or tightest 3 shot or 5 shot group. Also, 50 yds or 100 yds? In the spirit of these fine vintage rifles, I think optics should be excluded. Irons, receivers or tangs only. Just my personal thought...

At the risk of sounding like a sandbagger or a ringer, ( certainly neither of which, am I ), maybe the pot could be sweetened a bit to make it more interesting. Say 10 or 20 bucks a man, winner take all?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B2

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I like those thoughts.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I haven't been to a fest since Jed's in 2007. Temped to show just to meet all those that weren't at the first. Maybe even bring my swiss cheese rat of an HP 22 and some hand loads...

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a work weekend for me, so can't make it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by topnotch99
I would drag brother LOGGAH out but hard to get him out of town .And i'm not sleeping with him in the back of my pickup !!! and would love to get in on a shoot off . 5 shot group might be better

[b]

Sounds like a bit of fun sport. But, it should be decided, 1895/1899/99 only, 1 cold shot closest to X, or tightest 3 shot or 5 shot group. Also, 50 yds or 100 yds? In the spirit of these fine vintage rifles, I think optics should be excluded. Irons, receivers or tangs only. Just my personal thought...

At the risk of sounding like a sandbagger or a ringer, ( certainly neither of which, am I ), maybe the pot could be sweetened a bit to make it more interesting. Say 10 or 20 bucks a man, winner take all?

So that begs the question of is it a contest of the best rifle or the best marksman?

All shooters should use the same rifle and the same ammo.

Just sayin....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
you guys need to work on LOGGAH he sure wont listen to me. Only thing in my way would be fishing trip at one of my camps in Canada if the border opens

IC B3

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Probably be the biggest gun show since March

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

99guy, the same question could be asked of any shooting competition, correct? I'm not sure I understand your point. Is there something in my suggested, (and that's all they are, suggested), parameters that raised an eyebrow?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
August 21,22,23- the good lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.

A reminder to change those penciled-in dates to permanent ink instead. Pack those takedowns into your valises, board the train, and get thyself to the Pennsylvania Gathering of the Faithful, in Beautiful Downtown Noxen.

Y'all know what I'm talking about, but for those who don't it's code for a gay old time (not in the LGBTQ sense) of camaraderie in the highlands of NE PA- a time of Fellowship under the Savage banner. Three days of gunnery, Savagery, eatery, BS-ery, and drinkery (if inclined). Reference the pre-Covid threads on the subject, or post your questions/thoughts here.

Be there or be square.

Where are the festivities happening in Noxen?

Born and raised there and family settled there centuries ago working as loggers when downtown was actually beautiful and prosperous, Armor Tannery, businesses on main street including food markets, Medical clinic, opera house, movie theater, etc...that all faded away over the years.
When I go back now to see family it's seems to be barely hanging on.

Ted
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
It's actually halfway up the mountain on the outskirts of town. Triple deuce will be along sooner or later and can provide a more accurate location. I have to get new directions from him every year as it is.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

99guy, the same question could be asked of any shooting competition, correct? I'm not sure I understand your point. Is there something in my suggested, (and that's all they are, suggested), parameters that raised an eyebrow?

Just merely pointing out that a good gun can make a bad marksman look good and a bad gun can make a good marksman look bad.

I might be able to shoot your gun better than you and you might be able to shoot my gun better than me.

So what does everybody shooting their own gun really prove?

Does it prove they are a good shot or that they have a good gun?

Nothing more, nothing less. wink

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy

Just merely pointing out that a good gun can make a bad marksman look good and a bad gun can make a good marksman look bad.

I might be able to shoot your gun better than you and you might be able to shoot my gun better than me.

So what does everybody shooting their own gun really prove?

Does it prove they are a good shot or that they have a good gun?

Nothing more, nothing less. wink

grin

Spoken like a guy that can't get it done! Whoa!

It proves that this vvvvv will never be bested. smile Not this year, not any year. Book it! grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You guys need to put your heads together and cook up some elaborate ruse to unseat the reigning champ.

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nah, we'll just throw as much lead as you did and sooner or later we'll get one there too. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old Willys, the cabin is called the Elrancho. Im sure you heard of it or been to one of the clambakes they have every year.

Joe

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It won't prove anything, but it will be a good time, we'll have a few laughs and in the end, somebody (who was lucky that day) will walk away with the pot.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/22/20.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.