Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by woods_walker
tikkanut,
You are a fortunate man Sir.. That is awe inspiring country.

yes sir.......I realize that & never take it for granted.......

trip planned for Wednesday........

these pics.....Utah's well known but remote Henry Mtn's...last range in lower 48 to be surveyed

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have been considering a sxs. From what I gather, those RZRs are great when they are running but have reliability issues. Honda has a great reputation for reliability. I owned a small honda ATV and never has a problem. It seems that Honda is sometimes lacking in performance.

Right now, I have a 2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. It is fast and powerful. It’s reliability has been okay, but not great. I am having problems with it now and have thought about replacing it instead of fixing. If I do, it will be for a Yamaha or Honda.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Basically.......what will fit you or your family the best......

2 seater ? 4 seater ? 6 seater ? Your usage ? balls out Dunes.......Trails......hunting/camping/farm-ranch ??

All the big three build good machines........Honda......Yamaha......Kawasaki......

OK........Polaris.........Big 4......... cry

All have good points.......bad points.....

I've had Honda......Yamaha....now Kawasaki......

Features.......pricing........warranty......reviews.......mainly........R E L I A B I L I T Y.....

Me ? loading Kawi for another 80 mile loop adventure in the morning........

Last edited by tikkanut; 04/21/20.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Basically.......what will fit you or your family the best......

2 seater ? 4 seater ? 6 seater ? Your usage ? balls out Dunes.......Trails......hunting/camping/farm-ranch ??

All the big three build good machines........Honda......Yamaha......Kawasaki......

OK........Polaris.........Big 4......... cry

All have good points.......bad points.....

I've had Honda......Yamaha....now Kawasaki......

Features.......pricing........warranty......reviews.......mainly........R E L I A B I L I T Y.....

Me ? loading Kawi for another 80 mile loop adventure in the morning........

It is very good to see you posting RELIABILITY for that area that you ride in Tikkanut. That said I'm remembering that saying that if it has tits or tires, sooner or later you will have trouble with it. There seems to be a logical explanation why those Henry mountains were the last area to be surveyed, they are remote and there is not a lot of traffic back there. And probably why you like it in the first place. There were days that I rode a dirt bike a hundred miles in a day, but that was Wisconsin where I could at least walk out to civilization. Going out there in that remote an area with just you and your UTV is kind of risky imo. Do you carry a satellite phone because I don't imagine cell service is available. That was the epiphany for me when I went out west on my Harley. The wife asked me what if you get in trouble and I told her that I'd just walk to the nearest farm house! That was Midwest thinking. Where I was you could see the curvature of the earth before you would see a farm house. You keep yourself safe out there and maybe think about bringing another buddy with another UTV.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

no Sat phone.......been ridin' with a bud or two lately.......

Do carry a GPS ResQ Link devise.......emergency use only.....

Basically a life or death situation to call EMS or Search/Resque

purty big empty country out there.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, those helicopter rescues get kind of expensive, but I suppose when you get to that point, you don’t care much. What about the dust riding with some other guys? The first guy gets a great view and the back guys just get dirty. Even on a dirt bike, the dust was always an issue where we rode.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Dust.........yes......oh yea......

Utah ...April 2020........

prob go down as one of the driest months on record.....

Our high desert riding area is no exception...

Even for the lead dog.....its dusty...sometimes the wind is generous and blows dust away before next machine

Smart riders space themselves apart to stay out of dust

pic file.......feast or famine.......flash floods or dust....take your pic

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had a Polaris 20 or more years ago. Pure junk. A friend of mine works on atv's/utv's. Fixes Polaris 10-1 over everything else combined. Still won't have one on the place. That being said,I know a lot of people have good luck with them.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Whelenman
My son, who is a ATV mechanic, says Honda is what I would buy. Most reliable by far.

Except for their electric shift. Give me a toe shifter or CVT anytime over that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Dust.........yes......oh yea......

Utah ...April 2020........

prob go down as one of the driest months on record.....

Our high desert riding area is no exception...

Even for the lead dog.....its dusty...sometimes the wind is generous and blows dust away before next machine

Smart riders space themselves apart to stay out of dust

pic file.......feast or famine.......flash floods or dust....take your pic

Do you run the factory air intake and filter system on your XTX in all that dust?

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Factory air box

keep a spare clean filter on hand

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yeah, those Rangers sure do suck..........my 2006 500 has probably carried out more dead animals than most people have ever seen.

I’m with JG my older Polaris Ranger has never given me any issues. The only issue I’ve had is the plastic getting busted when I steal mama cows baby calves to band and they ram it. I’ve hauled hay with it, dirt, calves, dead deer, and pigs as well as fencing tools and chainsaws. No ISSUES...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yeah, those Rangers sure do suck..........my 2006 500 has probably carried out more dead animals than most people have ever seen.

First Ranger I ever bought was a 2006 Polaris 500.
And one of the best I ever owned. Tried to wear it out. Never could!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Polaris is not reliable in my experience. Yamaha and Honda are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not a fan of Polaris

Here in southern Ohio, the Japanese ATVs command a premium in the used market, Polaris are significantly less in resale value

I've had a couple of Polaris, the '96 Sportsman 400 4X4 and a 2003 Explorer 250 4X4. I did not like the brake system on them, and the combination of belt and chain . and IIRC, the SAE and Metric mix? maybe I'm confused on that, just seemed odd to me . I did like the higher stance, larger footprint and ground clearance they offered - but I'd still go with a Honda/Yamaha

I think Polaris is much more appreciated as an ATV in snowmobile country, but outside of that, my perception is they are a lesser quality alternative.

I've only had a Prairie 650 4x4 in Kawasaki. It was nice, no complaints. Not a fan of Suzuki ATVs mainly because my experience has been temperamental fuel pump/carbs, but I've only had older models.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/22/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[YamahaThreadJack] Just picked up a Grizz 700 EPS today, 37 miles so far.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[/YamahaThreadJack]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just returned from Moab, UT, after a few days of riding the trails. Our Polaris General is the perfect machine for this kind of venture- it handled deep, dry sand and slickrock trails with ease. Did not see a lot of other riders- the virus has kept most people away. We had the trails to ourselves in the morning, with most coming out to ride in the afternoons. Saw two Can Ams, every other side by side was a Polaris, mostly RZRs. Weather was fine except for wind. Scenery is nothing short of spectacular!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

ahhh Utah.........

Sounds like you had a nice trip......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a lot of room between Honda and POS. I'd put Polaris well above POS but a little below Honda. There are a lot of them out there that have been highly reliable.

What are those Trackers like that Cabelas is selling now? Modified golf carts? Service? Parts? I'm highly suspicious that they're junk.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
my 2001 polaris 500 has 4100 hours on it. I did redo the suspension recently. and I use it on our property 5-6 times a week.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
489 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.