-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was going through some old pictures I hadn't looked at in a long time and came across this one of my great aunt and her car many years ago, taken in Malibu Canyon, Calif. She was Edith Thornton Hutchison, wife of Charles "Hurricane Hutch" Hutchison, both silent screen stars of the silent swashbuckling, cliff hanger movies in the early days of Hollywood.

Do any of you who like old cars know what company manufactured her car??

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for any info.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Google "1927 Dodge coupe"- - - - - -the pictures my search pulled up are almost a dead ringer for the car in the pic., particularly the shape of the rear window.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty neat picture, I agree with the 26 ish Dodge based on the radiator emblems.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks for sharing!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great picture

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool picture, Leanwolf. Looks to me like there is a the year "20" on that old California license plate.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Man, how cool is that? Thanks for sharing... smile

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Leanwolf ,

You should have got involved in some of the hollywood movie stuff since you had family in the industry ... smile Maybe do some screen writing or some such .?.

Cool old car from a very different era thanks for sharing it .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen, thank you for your information. Bristoe, thank you for that poster of "death defying Hutch." Back in the day, he was an actor, did his own stunts, writer, and director. Kinda did it all in those silent flicks of the time. I had a whole bunch of studio advertising posters, scrapbooks, pictures of Hutch and Edith, etc., as Edith had asked me to be her executor. (Hutch died in 1949, and Edith in 1984. No children .)

When my wife and I moved from Los Angeles to Idaho, I donated almost everything to the Hollywood Museum and the Hollywood Stuntman's Association, although kept certain nostalgic items.

Just some trivia here. A picture of Hutch and his good friend, John Barrymore, in the driveway of Hutch's and Edith's home in the Hollywood Hills above Sunset Blvd.

Long ago and far away.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Leanwolf ,

You should have got involved in some of the hollywood movie stuff since you had family in the industry ... smile Maybe do some screen writing or some such .?.

Cool old car from a very different era thanks for sharing it .

grin wink

L.W.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that is a 1923-ish Star.
why it would have 1920 cal plate is puzzling.can someone see it better ? could it be 28?

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/22/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude your great aunt was a Sheba.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Pretty cool family, and why would you leave LA, lol.....

I found this
https://youtu.be/DRs646hfbXY

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy cow, Leanwolf's great uncle was a badass. Nice find, hemiallen. Here it is:

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Pretty cool family, and why would you leave LA, lol.....

I found this
https://youtu.be/DRs646hfbXY

Thanks for that video. Charles Hutchison was a superb athlete and so was Edith. In that video one of his most famous stunts was being chased by the bad guys, a moving train blocks his escape, and Hutch then rolls underneath the moving boxcar between the wheels to make his getaway.

He was the only person who ever did that in a flick. I do not think it has been duplicated today, other than with special effects.

He did amazing stunts long before Yakima Cannutt came along ... and Cannutt was extraordinary.

As for leaving L.A., my wife and I both wanted out for a number of reasons, not least the Marxist takeover of Calif., and the movie business becoming more and more controlled by the far left. I could write from Idaho and send my work to my agents in Hollywood.

Not once did my wife, when she was alive, ever regret our move, nor did I.

Hutch died in 1949 when I was a boy and Edith's career was over 35 years before I arrived in Hollywood. But I would often sit with her and listen to her fascinating stories of making those silent movies, the early days, and the people they knew. Interesting times.

Fat City 67, yes, Edith Thornton Hutchison was very pretty.

L.W.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very Cool LW! Thanks for posting that and some of your Family History. Always enjoy your posts!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Morewood
Holy cow, Leanwolf's great uncle was a badass. Nice find, hemiallen. Here it is:

That was incredible!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Way cool, LW!

Thanks for sharing.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.