Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
The latest issue of Rifle has a write up on the Ruger Hawkeye Hunter. John Haviland quoted the action screw torques and tried the mid screw set at snug and then set to 60 in/lb and the rifle shot better. I'm not doubting Mr Haviland but has anyone else here found their 77s shoot better with the mid screw tight?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No, usually the middle screw should just be snug. Not real tight per se. Similar to the model 70. This is on my glass bedded 77's. I also don't torque to the suggested 90 inch pounds on the front action screw either. When they are properly glass bedded, you don't need to torque them that tight. Front about 60 inch pounds and rear about 45...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Middle screw just barely touching in all mine, front at 65 and rear at 50 post bedding.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With MkII’s and Hawkeyes, front angled screw farmer tight (my torque driver only goes to 60), rear screw set at 40, middle screw barely snug. Tightened in that order. Has worked on all such rifles I have owned and I’ve never needed to bed one set up in this manner. I’m a big fan of Ruger Mk II’s, and this works for me.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do the same with my Rugers. 60-55 in/lbs front and 45 rear, Barely snug for the middle screw and the mag box free floating.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I do the same with my Rugers. 60-55 in/lbs front and 45 rear, Barely snug for the middle screw and the mag box free floating.

Originally Posted by lastround
With MkII’s and Hawkeyes, front angled screw farmer tight (my torque driver only goes to 60), rear screw set at 40, middle screw barely snug. Tightened in that order. Has worked on all such rifles I have owned and I’ve never needed to bed one set up in this manner. I’m a big fan of Ruger Mk II’s, and this works for me.

You may not "have to" bed them, but once you start, you'll find your rifles shoot more accurately, more consistently and don't change poi over time. I'll generally cut the group size in half after properly glass bedding a 77... Also, you are risking cracking your stock, if you do not glass bed them. Especially the heavy kickers...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,
You are right on with the free floating mag box.

BSA,
Thanks for the tips, but all my Rugers have had and currently have Ruger synthetic stocks so I haven’t worried too much about cracking the stock. And I no longer shoot “hard kickers”. I don’t have the need for anything bigger than .308 Winchester or 7mm-08.

Last edited by lastround; 05/26/20.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info....thx for sharing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a 77 that came from Ruger whose front screw was set to either a gazillion pounds or loctited Red. I had to send it back. Last few synthetics were just tightened normally and all shot well.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Loose front screw will act as a slide hammer and break stock. Which is why I glass bed my Ruger 77,s, and keep the front screw tight. Had several that quit shooting well and front screw had loosened. Noticed some Ruger 77,s had a dimple on screw threads, perhaps to keep them tight?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 70 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.