Print Thread
Hop To
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Put 4 cages for poultry together today along with 4 for rabbits. I've had the cages sitting around for a long time. Thought I might start with a few quail hens and a rooster.

Anybody have experience or advice they want to offer up?

GB1

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'll bump it for morning and let it die I guess. Figured there were more of you guys raising quail, pigeons, rabbits, and the like.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spect Jim might be along directly, give it some time and bump it one more time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought some late last fall to do some remedial dog training. I still have a half dozen on hand that will be going away once the bag of food is gone. I knew going in that this breed of quail sucks for dog training but that was all that was available at the time.

I keep some barn pigeons for dog training too. I catch or buy some in the winter and keep them penned until May. They readily home back to the coop from the training field. Once they prove themselves to return, I leave the door open and they fend for themselves. I have a couple that have been around 3 years and it is not unusual for a stray to join my flock. I've had two flocks abandon my coop, I'm pretty sure a hawk or owl visited and spooked them off. I had to start over afterward but one of the escapees from the last flock still visits but will not go into the coop.

Don't bother with rabbits, I don't like cleaning up after them and free ranging them would not work as the wife has enough problems with wild ones in here gardens. I don't care to clean them anyways and am not particularly fond of eating them.

We have a few chickens, they seem to keep the bugs down and are just enjoyable to have around. The egg production is nice but not a priority. They are also great waste food disposal units and that feature has helped keep garbage smell down a bit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.