Print Thread
Hop To
M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just got a phone call from someone at PCH (at least that's what he said) advising me that I had just won $1,000,000!!!! grin
All I had to do to collect was to pay him, via debit/credit card, $9200 for taxes.
Oh, he was calling from Jamaica

Did I screw up by calling him a lying cork sucker???. whistle

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pay those taxes! For most of us the tax would be around 35 to 40% depending on state. You're getting by cheap.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You know someone will fall for it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I’ll split it with ‘yu.

Where do I send the $4600?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Just got a phone call from someone at PCH (at least that's what he said) advising me that I had just won $1,000,000!!!! grin
All I had to do to collect was to pay him, via debit/credit card, $9200 for taxes.

Probably, he probably does the corks from a variety of positions, lieing, seated, prone...

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some fine African American, oops I mean, African Jamaican fellows down there...

"NEWS
STORIES
Search FBI
Search FBI

NEWS

Stories

Foiling an Elder Fraud Scam
Former FBI Director Webster Assists Investigation

Former FBI Director William Webster and his wife were the targets of a Jamaican lottery scam in 2014. They assisted in the FBI's investigation, which led to the arrest and conviction of Keniel Thomas, who was sentenced in February 2019 to nearly six years in prison.
Transcript / Visit Video Source

The heavily accented caller who promised William Webster a grand sweepstakes prize of $72 million and a new Mercedes Benz had done most of his homework on his potential fraud target.

“I know that you was [sic] a judge, you was a lawyer, you was in the U.S. Navy,” the caller told his elderly mark. “I do your background check. You are a big man.”

What the caller, Keniel Thomas, 29, of Jamaica, missed was possibly the most salient detail about his intended victim, who was 90 years old the time: William Webster had served as director of both the FBI and the CIA, and so had a pretty good radar for pernicious criminal schemes—in this case, a Jamaican lottery scam.

Thomas’ persistent calls in 2014 to Webster and his wife, Lynda, followed the familiar arc of scams that target the elderly: The caller promises riches but requires some form of payment to move the process forward. The caller demands more and more, and then resorts to intimidation when the cooperation tapers off.

In the Websters’ case, the former judge was told he had to pay $50,000 to get his prize. When the money wasn’t forthcoming, the frequent calls escalated to scary threats, which led the couple to contact the FBI.

“I don't know how the conversation turned sour,” said Webster, 95, director of the FBI for a decade beginning in 1978. “But it did. And at that point, he shifted gears. Instead of sweet talk, he began to threaten her.”

In one expletive-filled recorded message left on the Websters’ phone, Thomas threatened to kill them and burn down their house if he didn't get what he wanted. “You live at a very lonely place,” he said. “And the moment you arrive, I’m gonna put a shot in your head.”

Special agents from the FBI’s Washington Field Office enlisted the Websters’ help in nabbing the caller by recording their phone conversations to build a case and develop a clear picture of the scheme. The legwork ultimately led to Thomas’ arrest in 2017 and his sentencing last month in federal court in Washington, D.C., to nearly six years in prison. It also revealed that Thomas and his relatives in Jamaica had successfully scammed others in the U.S. out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I need a bassboat.

'Just so you know. Buddy.

LOL
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tell him to bring you the 6 foot long check with the balloons, and you'll give him the money right after you cash it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Great!! We got another fugging Millionaire that doesn't want to pay his fair share of taxes............

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kroo88
I’ll split it with ‘yu.

Where do I send the $4600?

Sounds good!
Send it to me, I'll see that he gets it.😁

Last edited by MickeyD; 05/23/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Prolly a lying Norwegian.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought that I was the only one who won. The guy called me day before yesterday and identified himself as the manager from PCH, but he kept talking after I told him that I didn't believe him. He said that they don't like to surprise people, so they call them first and I told him that I wasn't aware of that. Then all he needed (for now, I'm thinking) was my e-mail address. Not going to happen I told him, but since they had my cell phone number, they must also have my address and that they should send me a letter instead. Watching the mail today in anticipation of the van, balloons and big check. I just knew that my Guns & Ammo paid subscription would pay off one of these days.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The wife always tells those clowns to deduct the taxes from her winnings and send her the remainder. They always hang up on her, no wonder why.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 15 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,459
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.