Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a shot at a 2011 KLR650 that a good friend crashed for not much money, I am thinking less than 1,200.

To be original it needs a front fairing, side fairings, one crash bar, headlight, cluster, turn signals and a carb rebuild.

I was thinking it may be a decent and cheap ride with just a headlight and turn signals and use it for commuting and keep some mileage off my Ninja 1000.

I have no experience with dual sports, only moto-x bikes from 50 years ago.

What do ya'll think?

Dave

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a shot at a 2011 KLR650 that a good friend crashed for not much money, I am thinking less than 1,200.

To be original it needs a front fairing, side fairings, one crash bar, headlight, cluster, turn signals and a carb rebuild.

I was thinking it may be a decent and cheap ride with just a headlight and turn signals and use it for commuting and keep some mileage off my Ninja 1000.

What do ya'll think?

No need to buy a crashed bike IMO. Buy something cherry.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Cheapasser tip.

Amazon up your chain size and longer (428 122 links).

Wishlist it.

Watch for used (open box/damaged packaging) to show up.... Buy when cheap. Thank me.

Bullshit..... these low horsepower bikes don't eat chains or sprockets.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Son crashed my 2011 KLR a couple of times.Things will get bent beside things getting broken. With carb issues then the tank is suspect as well. It's been sitting I would guess.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cheapasser tip part duex.

For example. 122 links ready to go. $77.94
https://www.amazon.com/DID-X-Ring-428x122-Yamaha-1995-2018/dp/B0787DP6Y8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=XJ06SPTUN2KN&dchild=1&keywords=428+x+ring+chain&qid=1590203359&sprefix=428+x+ring+chain%2Caps%2C896&sr=8-2

A few seconds on a grinder, 126 links, $68.68
https://www.amazon.com/chain-428-VX-126-links-Open-Ring/dp/B0081HRN0E/ref=sr_1_4?crid=XJ06SPTUN2KN&dchild=1&keywords=428+x+ring+chain&qid=1590203520&sprefix=428+x+ring+chain%2Caps%2C896&sr=8-4

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Son crashed my 2011 KLR a couple of times.Things will get bent beside things getting broken. With carb issues then the tank is suspect as well. It's been sitting I would guess.

Yes, two years.

Dave

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They should have got a TW!

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
smile wow , talk about needing new parts .
Never saw that vid before .

I grew up just a few miles from Devils Staircase in Oregonia , Ohio .
Old farmer named Noelly Powell owned it - i use to help him bail hay for pocket money .

These hills are way steeper than they look on camera .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim, good purchase for you it reads like. Better suspension on those larger bikes which makes a long ride less tiresome. I'd suggest a GPS in your kit somewhere if you plan to get pretty far back into the hinterland. You aren't lost until you are out of gas and the only direction that you know is up and down. On the carrier. Get the best set of tire-downs that you can find. You are not going to have a lot of angle on a bumper rack to secure a bike real well. If your Honda has a roof rack, maybe a safety rope or two over the back end to the bars and rack. I welded some rings onto the hinges of my K5 Blazer for upper tie points when I carried my 250 Bultaco on a bumper rack. I'm reminded of my buddy when he bought a new Lazy Boy recliner. Heavy enough not to need to tie it down in the bed of his pickup, right? Nope. Looking in the rear view mirror seeing it bouncing down the highway behind him depreciated it some.

Crashing was the reason that I got off my fast bikes and onto slower ones. I was having a great time on the forest roads up north on my full race Husqvarna until one day I was doing one of those all crossed up skid turns on a dirt corner when it turned into blacktop halfway through the turn. High sided it down the hill and into the woods. The bike was on top of me and there was warm blood I thought from a head wound running down my face. This must be the way it feels to die I remember thinking to myself. Nope, not yet. It was gear oil from when I punched a hole in the gear case when I'd hit a rock. Brought it home, fixed it and sold it for a third of what I'd bought it for.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDW

What do ya'll think?

They are the AK-47 of motorcycles. The plastics will cost more than it's worth. I ought an '08 with the 685 kit already installed for $2,400 with good side and tank bags.
Stay away from the '08 and early '09 unless you're a sharp mechanic. The early Gen II bikes had wiring and piston issues.
I put around 8,000 miles on mine in 3 weeks when I went to Tuktoyaktuk.
Great bikes for long legs but price plastic before considering the purchase.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I hope so. wink

Seriously, it shouldn't be that hard with a 278 pound bike. I just measured and the hitch would be about 16" off the ground. With a 6' ramp - 72" - if I remember my geometry that's a slope of 16/72 or 22% which is somewhat steep but manageable. The handlebars will only be some 5' off the ground when it's on the ramp.

I'm not in a big hurry to buy my carrier, I think I'll wait and see how you like the aluminum one you are looking at.
The ramp on the steel one I been reading up on is a foot shorter coming in at 5ft.
I like the idea of the lighter aluminum and if it pans out well for you I might get one, keep us posted on the loading thing..

But all that is kind of moot. The plan is to get a good head of steam up, hit that baby in a wheelie and set'er down right across the front wheel chocks.....

Be sure someone is videoing when you do this the first time....we'll all wanna see that maneuver too!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
...Crashing was the reason that I got off my fast bikes and onto slower ones. I was having a great time on the forest roads up north on my full race Husqvarna until one day I was doing one of those all crossed up skid turns on a dirt corner when it turned into blacktop halfway through the turn. High sided it down the hill and into the woods. The bike was on top of me and there was warm blood I thought from a head wound running down my face. This must be the way it feels to die I remember thinking to myself. Nope, not yet. It was gear oil from when I punched a hole in the gear case when I'd hit a rock. Brought it home, fixed it and sold it for a third of what I'd bought it for.

Thanks, stories like this give me a warm feeling of confidence. wink

Got a standard issue license plate yesterday but am really thinking of getting a vanity plate for it that reads EZDZIT (easy does it) or TKITEZ (take it easy). Had a Greeves Griffon for a very short period of time in the early 70's and I could hurt myself on that faster than you could say Jack Robinson, so now it's definitely going to be slow and easy going. I'll break it in as ol_mike recommended - some other folks on youtube have recommend that as well - but after that this bike will probably spend most of its life chugging along in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Going to get a receiver hitch carrier that will mount on the back of the car and carry the bike sideways.

Just curious of which carrier you plan to use?

I've gone from a 4500.00 hydraulic unit to this one, still undecided.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

The bike is so lite I am having a hard time popping for the hydraulic unit but want it to be simple to load and unload for one guy...

Versahaul for the win. The extendable four point tie down really holds the bike on. I use mine to haul my Rokon around.

[Linked Image from oi723.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you ride it up there or push it?

About how far away from your toppers window is that handle bar?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
JLimbo,

Nice sticker!

LOL.

And awesome rig.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by deflave
JLimbo,

.....awesome rig.

You should ask your wife for one.....

--- Kid Rock 2022

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Cheapasser tip.

Amazon up your chain size and longer (428 122 links).

Wishlist it.

Watch for used (open box/damaged packaging) to show up.... Buy when cheap. Thank me.

Since you mentioned it. While watching your vid the other day, I was pretty sure I heard a tired chain or sprocket(s). It just seemed to speak above all the other sounds.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
JLimbo,

.....awesome rig.

You should ask your wife for one.....

To do what?

Attend PTA meetings and get groceries?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Do you ride it up there or push it?

About how far away from your toppers window is that handle bar?

The end of the bars are about 8-10 inches from the window. After affixing the ramp back on the carrier-in between the ramp and the rear bumper I can shimmy my fat arse between the bike and the shell. There's enough room to get the right door open and be able to access the bed.

As to loading I'll walk it up the ramp in low gear and bump the kill switch. First time I just pushed it up. No fun. Rokons are a bitch to push.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
JLimbo,

Nice sticker!

LOL.

And awesome rig.

Thanks. That sucker is slow but it'll go places my quad or side by side have no chance to access.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.