Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those guy's on the hook are worthless!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a shot at a 2011 KLR650 that a good friend crashed for not much money, I am thinking less than 1,200.

To be original it needs a front fairing, side fairings, one crash bar, headlight, cluster, turn signals and a carb rebuild.

I was thinking it may be a decent and cheap ride with just a headlight and turn signals and use it for commuting and keep some mileage off my Ninja 1000.

I have no experience with dual sports, only moto-x bikes from 50 years ago.

What do ya'll think?

Holy smoke, it would have to run into something hard to break all that stuff, as posted, everything usually bends.

And yes, seems like after you price all the plastic you coulda bought one that's never been dropped hard.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most dirt bike plastic is fairly malleable and comes back to shape pretty well. It burns well though. That dirt bike of mine idled at 122 decibels according to the meter that I borrowed from work. Rather than annoy the neighbors I figured that if I put steel wool in the muffler that it would quiet it right down. It did for a few minutes until I looked behind me and it was like a vapor trail with flame shooting out the muffler. It cooked the rear fender real well too. I missed that day in school science class when they explained that steel wool burns. Not one of my better ideas.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Originally Posted by JeffA
Do you ride it up there or push it?

About how far away from your toppers window is that handle bar?

The end of the bars are about 8-10 inches from the window. After affixing the ramp back on the carrier-in between the ramp and the rear bumper I can shimmy my fat arse between the bike and the shell. There's enough room to get the right door open and be able to access the bed.

As to loading I'll walk it up the ramp in low gear and bump the kill switch. First time I just pushed it up. No fun. Rokons are a bitch to push.

Thanks, my RV sits higher and there is a ladder on the back for accessing the roof.
Gotta get some tight measurements to sure I will not get into the ladder with the handle bars so your response is of much value with my calculations. They have a drop extension that I may have to use, it'd put the bike a little lower and a little future back.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sorry for flip flop, but can't fix it. I'll have to snap another.

But I couldn't resist showing my 2 wild ones. One now an Account executive & the other a Crime annalist for a larger southern city.

My how time flies, a 70's TM or RM 250 Suzuki.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Originally Posted by deflave
JLimbo,

Nice sticker!

LOL.

And awesome rig.

Thanks. That sucker is slow but it'll go places my quad or side by side have no chance to access.

I thought he meant the pickup?????

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought this one about 4-5 years ago(blue, bone stock) with very low miles....Started messing with it and this is the end result. The plan was / is to buy a camper and hitch it to the back....we'll see, I haven't used it much to this point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like those saddlebags. Looks like a cycleracks rack on the back or something very similar in design.

Put the cycleracks on mine yesterday morning, then had one of those hmmm moments - if it's packed high with gear how am I going to swing my leg over it? There are ways to do that but those bags would eliminate any problem, plus they get the weight down lower which is where you want it. They might catch on brush on narrow paths but they shouldn't stick out much more than the handlebars if any.

That's a really nice setup with the handguards and racks. With a full tank and that 1 gallon aux can you'd have a range of about 225 miles.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some good looking tricked out trail bikes going on here!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EQFD193
Bought this one about 4-5 years ago(blue, bone stock) with very low miles....Started messing with it and this is the end result. The plan was / is to buy a camper and hitch it to the back....we'll see, I haven't used it much to this point.

Get that bad boy on the road, it looks great!
It'd look better out in your favorite place beside a campfire...

I get all the use I can outta mine....
This was last Fall in Montana sitting beside Hungry Horse Reservoir..

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jim, I originally purchased those bags in Sturgis one year for my softail but could never get them to fit the way I wanted...I new they would come in handy one day.

Great photo JeffA!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EQFD193

Bad ass.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cheapasser tip of the day.

Add some form to your soft bags by inserting cut down appropriately sized plastic trash cans.

Part two. Jim, there's some handy, frugalish, smaller tank saddle bags that'll hold some goodies. And a tank-top bag is a must have IMO.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
COOL Jim - bet you'll love it !!!

DO NOT BREAK IT IN LIKE YAMAHA SAYS TO DO ! ! !
Unless you want it carbed up and slow .

This is a proven technique and i've researched it in depth .

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yamaha wants you to super pamper it for financial reasons . Don't putt around on it that just slows the time of an important step of getting the rings seated fast .

Run it up 3/4 throttle - don't lug the engine low RPM in too high a gear - run it through the gears downshifting at high RPM --- trust this info. ...

Back in the all 2 stroke days I knew Ed Scheidler. He was the head of Yamaha USA off road development. I asked him about break in procedure and he said the team just ran the bikes. He mentioned in less words that the engine needed to be run to get proper ring seal. He was a mechanic for Pierre Karmakers when he came to race US motocross. He was at Yamaha through all the greats, Hannah, Glover etc. I believed what he said.
The article you posted is excellent. The author has written about breaking in a rebuilt motor. His philosophy was to take a an engine using NO oil on the rings, when the cylinder is on, kick the bike through dry about 30-40 kicks. He recommends this for 2 and 4 stroke bikes. I did this on a Honda CR250 and a Honda CRF450. When I sold my CR250 the guy that bought it remarked that it was faster than 2 previous bikes he looked at. I will continue to use his techniques whenever I rebuild anything.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went out this afternoon and got obnoxious all over this section of town. Start up from stoplights full throttle and I mean throttle turned all the way to the stop, second gear same, third gear same - it really is only going about 40 when you wind it out in 3rd, then cruise for a while at 45 in 4th gear, come to another stop light and straight down to 3rd, then 2nd at 20 mph so those rpm's kick right up. This thing has a very growly exhaust note so a few homeowners and passers by were giving me the evil eye for being so loud. wink

It had 4 miles on it from the dealer - three of which I put on in test driving before buying. I set the tripmeter to 0 and that now has 19 miles on that so it should have a good start.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
smarguez ,

Good stuff !
Been watching some vintage MX - Pierre Karmakers - old school .

This info. of fast break in has been around for a long time - as i previously said it's a financial thing with the makers - it's all about the money to them .

A race engine builder in Biloxi [name excapes me] built the engines for the Dole Pineapple sponsored pontiac fiero [1980's] can't remember the series SCCA ? --?.
I bought turbo blue race gas from him , anyway i watched them start warm up a heavy duty race engine . As soon as it started they put it up on 2-3000rpm when the head was hot to the touch they turned it off after a couple of throttle whacks .
Gave it a visual check for leaks etc. - then fired it back up and ripped some wide open throttle blast 7-8000 rpm after coming to life about one minute before .

Broke engines in using this method for years now it's a secret everyone should know .
When i get a TW200 i'll do the same - but the dealership won't likely let a dry engine bike get cranked over 30-40 times .

Lads at the car dealership told me - ''you'll like that truck' F150 lariat 5.4 towing package''- i asked if it would haul ass - yep - so i knew it was broke in right .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Right on Jim , I'd do that for about 50 miles by then that piston has went up & down millions of times .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

It had 4 miles on it from the dealer - three of which I put on in test driving before buying. I set the tripmeter to 0 and that now has 19 miles on that so it should have a good start.

I gotcha by 10, I set the trip meter on the Suzuki when the guy dropped it off, I've put 29 miles on it toolin' around the hood here......It's a keeper.....another mile and it'll have 300 on it....

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by ol_mike
COOL Jim - bet you'll love it !!!

DO NOT BREAK IT IN LIKE YAMAHA SAYS TO DO ! ! !
Unless you want it carbed up and slow .

This is a proven technique and i've researched it in depth .

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yamaha wants you to super pamper it for financial reasons . Don't putt around on it that just slows the time of an important step of getting the rings seated fast .

Run it up 3/4 throttle - don't lug the engine low RPM in too high a gear - run it through the gears downshifting at high RPM --- trust this info. ...

Back in the all 2 stroke days I knew Ed Scheidler. He was the head of Yamaha USA off road development. I asked him about break in procedure and he said the team just ran the bikes. He mentioned in less words that the engine needed to be run to get proper ring seal. He was a mechanic for Pierre Karmakers when he came to race US motocross. He was at Yamaha through all the greats, Hannah, Glover etc. I believed what he said.
The article you posted is excellent. The author has written about breaking in a rebuilt motor. His philosophy was to take a an engine using NO oil on the rings, when the cylinder is on, kick the bike through dry about 30-40 kicks. He recommends this for 2 and 4 stroke bikes. I did this on a Honda CR250 and a Honda CRF450. When I sold my CR250 the guy that bought it remarked that it was faster than 2 previous bikes he looked at. I will continue to use his techniques whenever I rebuild anything.

My bud Barry was a American jap..... we rode off rode, Honda xrs......
He worked for Honda and said the same thing......
we tricked out our bikes...... cams, jetting, headers, exhaust, sprockets, wheels....
Barry died from cancer......
RIP bud.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
RIP Barry - cancer sucks ....

Sold my little classic motorcycle trailer this morning - Holsclaw - best trailer ever made .
A cool guy -77 years old collects them - drove all the way from North Carolina to pick it up , 765 miles . He has 6 of the models like i sold him today .

Had it for 25 years dragged it to Daytona bike week/track days/MX tracks as far as North Georgia .

Last edited by ol_mike; 05/24/20.

Posted by Bristoe
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,154
Posts18,465,082
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.