Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Makes sense to me. A basic necessity for what you're doing.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mart
To me a kit gun has always been a handgun that is essential or at least handy for the activity at hand. Like some of the other tools one would need in the same activity, knife, hatchet, pack, tackle etc. When I was trapping full time there were certain things that were with me every day and essential to the activity. The Single Six was among those things. Same with packing meat or hiking or any other outdoor activity. My "kit" are those things that I deem to be necessary to the activity and most times a handgun of one kind or another is part of that kit. A kit doesn't have to be something packed away. In my case I consider those things I carry on me as part of my kit. If that makes sense.

^^^This^^^

Also a small handgun that might be used to take small game for food in case of an emergency.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Makes sense to me. A basic necessity for what you're doing.

^^^And this^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
S&W Model 34.
S&W Model 35.
S&W Model 63.
Colt Woodsman Pre-war 4.5". (1st Series).
Colt Woodman 6". (2nd Series).
Colt Woodsman 4.5" (3rd Series).
Hi-Standard Sport King 6".

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
4" S&W 651, most of the time. OM Bearcat when I'm carrying a LOT of tools or other crap, fulla Stingers.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Walther PP 22LR fitted with MMC adjustable rear sight

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To me a kit gun has always been a handgun that is essential or at least handy for the activity at hand. Like some of the other tools one would need in the same activity, knife, hatchet, pack, tackle etc. When I was trapping full time there were certain things that were with me every day and essential to the activity. The Single Six was among those things. Same with packing meat or hiking or any other outdoor activity. My "kit" are those things that I deem to be necessary to the activity and most times a handgun of one kind or another is part of that kit. A kit doesn't have to be something packed away. In my case I consider those things I carry on me as part of my kit. If that makes sense.

By that definition, when is a gun not a "kit" gun? Why don't we have a "kit" knife or "kit" hatchet?

You may have guessed that I have come to consider the whole concept rather inane.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have carried the following "kit" guns:
S&W 317
S&W 63
Ruger SP101 4 inch .22
S&W 617 4 inch
NAA Black Widow in 22 mag.
My current favorite is a Beretta Bobcat loaded with CCI Mini Mags. It is surprisingly accurate and easier to shoot than the 317 out to 10-15 yards.

The older (more experienced?) I get the more the idea of a Kit gun has evolved. Part of this is due to the stray dogs, coyotes, and hogs in the area. A lightweight 3-4 inch double action in 357 loaded with 38+P ammo is on my next list

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All good points, but I differ on this.

I go a lot of places and do a lot of things that do not involve shooting or hunting. Often find myself spending more time and doing things that come up along the way. To this end I keep a good sized duffle in the back of the wagon. Rain gear, xtra drawers, tshirt, and socks, and etc. Also in the duffel is a canvas shoulder bag with some essentials that might come in handy if my schedule or agenda varies from plan.
And that is where my S&W Model 43 .22 (original) abides more often than not.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe

By that definition, when is a gun not a "kit" gun? Why don't we have a "kit" knife or "kit" hatchet?

You may have guessed that I have come to consider the whole concept rather inane.

Need to spend more fun time with a hand gun doing essentially nothing useful...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I differentiate between kit guns and packin' pistols. A kit gun is for either a specific task, like trapping, or just ancillary to what I'm doing, such as plinking on a hike or shooting small game while big game hunting. A packin' pistol in my world is a big game capable/defensive gun that's easy to carry. I carry a packin' pistol when big game hunting as an extra defense against brown bears or to hunt with as the opportunity comes up. I also carry one when toting a rifle isn't practical such as dip netting salmon or some fishing and berry picking.

With that said my favorites currently are a stainless Bearcat with Dave Clements adjustable sights and a S&W 60-4 .38 special. For packin' pistols I pretty much exclusively carry a S&W 69 .44 mag with the lock disabled but sometimes carry a Ruger flat top .44 Special.

Last edited by pabucktail; 05/23/20.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

I guess in truth I've never used the term "kit" to describe those things I carry afield. But yes, if one considers those things carried afield for a given activity one's "kit", then it might include a knife, hatchet, small folding saw, or any other item deemed necessary to the activity. So any gun could be considered a kit gun. A recently passed friend who once guided in Africa considered his well worn Whitworth 458 Winchester his "kit" gun and in several conversations referred to it as such. Usually when he caught me drooling over a nice, older S&W 34, he'd remind me of his "kit " gun. I sure miss him. One of the only guys at work who could speak gun on the same level.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Kit gun gas always intrigued me, never even owned a rimfire handgun.
It's not about chamberings, it's about a gun that is flexible, light and
not too big. I will take all the punch and as many as possible in
any practical envelope.

I like revolvers, and used to carry a 38/357 , 44mag or 45 Colt.
But, they are a bit heavy.

I started to carry the G19 because it's light, and tough.
A fishing mishap with a leather holster pushed me to Pyrex.

So, G19 in kydex.
It's not going to rust, if it does, big deal.
Fall in water? Shake it out. Mud/sawdust, rinse and shake.
15 rounds. Need that many? Hope to never wish for "just 1 more".
Plenty of power, flat shooting. A coyote at 100yds+? Very possible.
Might be rough on fur? I don't mess with fur.

Classic? Pretty? Pride of ownership?

Not in the normal sense.

But I like good tools,
it's a damn good tool.

A Kit gun? No not really.
But I can't think of a better gun for that use for me.

Well, I have been thinking a G41mos, with a 9mm/357 barrel reamed
to take a .473 based cartridge necked down but using all the available
length. Basically, a longer, fatter 357 Sig. Able to use bullets up to about
160grains.

I'm way too tight to build it, but it would make an awesome everyday,
woods, fishing, bumming around set up.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have always thought of a "kit gun" as being a small, short barreled, handgun of the type that you'd leaving in your tackle box or in the "car box". that you keep in the trunk of your car or behind the seat of your pickup with the duct tape, hose clamps, jumper cables, and wire ties..

My Father kept a loaded Sears house-brand of the High Standard Sentinel 9-shot wrapped in an oily rag in his tool kit.

I have dedicated sets of "kit" for different activities. Different sets of hunting kit for deer, turkeys, and upland birds. Different sets of fishing kit for bass, panfish, and trout, plus a separate set of kit for fly fishing for trout. Day hike kit. Multiple complete sets of kit that I keep cached in Colorado and in New Hampshire so that I don't have to carry it on a commercial airplane. The cached kit is kind of a PITA to maintain, but so is flying with firearms and ammo.

If you have one set of kit that serves all of your needs, then the concept probably is stupid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw

Need to spend more fun time with a hand gun doing essentially nothing useful...

Are you kidding? I can always spend more time doing nothing useful with a handgun. Any handgun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I guess in truth I've never used the term "kit" to describe those things I carry afield. But yes, if one considers those things carried afield for a given activity one's "kit", then it might include a knife, hatchet, small folding saw, or any other item deemed necessary to the activity. So any gun could be considered a kit gun. A recently passed friend who once guided in Africa considered his well worn Whitworth 458 Winchester his "kit" gun and in several conversations referred to it as such. Usually when he caught me drooling over a nice, older S&W 34, he'd remind me of his "kit " gun. I sure miss him. One of the only guys at work who could speak gun on the same level.

There ya go.

IIRC, this whole "kit gun" term and obsessive discussion of it dates back to a certain long ago article by a certain gunwriter. It's somewhat interesting, historically, and has been talked to death - but I find it somewhat irrelevant today, when so many of us have a handgun on us daily, and so many more could if they chose to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

There ya go.

IIRC, this whole "kit gun" term and obsessive discussion of it dates back to a certain long ago article by a certain gunwriter. It's somewhat interesting, historically, and has been talked to death - but I find it somewhat irrelevant today, when so many of us have a handgun on us daily, and so many more could if they chose to.

I think of my less expensive Rossi 511/515/518/720 small frame stainless revolvers as "kit' guns because they didn't cost much and if I was to damage or even lose one, I wouldn't be too bummed. Not so with a 3.5" S&W 27 or even a 2.5" S&W 66. Since I have several of each of the Rossi 515s and 720s, I usually leave one of each in each of my vehicles, so that it will be there if/when I need/want one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
never even owned a rimfire handgun.

WTF is the matter with you?.....grin

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Kit Gun with its new Triple K holster-Ruger SP 101 .22lr.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
never even owned a rimfire handgun.

WTF is the matter with you?.....grin

There is a laundry list.

"But Dad, if you wanted to send one of those old Colt's this direction,
your favorite son would be really happy!"

Seriously, you have some dam nice old rimfire.

And I do need to buy something.
Was looking at an old Ruger Standard a couple months ago.
$200ish. Looked nice through the glass, in the cardboard box.
Asshats ignored me for 10 minutes, I walked out.
Next time by, it was gone!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.