Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I've traced a good portion of my family tree back to Europe.

A couple of branched took some interesting turns. The most notable individuals allegedly in my tree included King John 2nd, Eric the Red, and Charlemagne.

With this kind of lineage you will need a proper introduction. I think Chaucer is your man. The pertinent part is at 1:20, but dare ya to stop watching once he gets rolling...

BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Scots-Irish, English, and there was a Mohawk Indian in the woodpile. Fairly typical Appalachian mutt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Cattle rievers, pork miners, kohlrabi mongers, and religious fanatics. Two-bit redneck, cousin-marryin’ peckerwoods!

you left out cedar-choppers!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
can't figure out how to find the thread on my dads texas family history i made a couple yrs ago.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
can’t wait for that one ‘penelope’ phouck that will blow everyone away by telling us they are related to King Arthur, George Washington, and John Jacob Jingle-Heimerschmidt.

My money is on varmint guy

Daniel Boone's sister is a distant relative, does that qualify for Penelope status?

My Mom did the family tree research and provided family trees to the entire family. Furthest back she went was some Englishman named Bramham born in 1496.

Lots of Revolutionary War veterans, Civil War vets on both sides, War of 1812, and Quakers.

One little note caught my eye: Obediah Coburn 1846 killed a man in Tennessee, moved to Missouri and changed his name to Prince.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Cattle rievers, pork miners, kohlrabi mongers, and religious fanatics. Two-bit redneck, cousin-marryin’ peckerwoods!

you left out cedar-choppers!

Nope! No cedar choppers!! Whe have some dignity !

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimboshrmp

A couple of branched took some interesting turns. The most notable individuals allegedly in my tree included King John 2nd, Eric the Red, and Charlemagne.

With this kind of lineage you will need a proper introduction. I think Chaucer is your man. The pertinent part is at 1:20, but dare ya to stop watching once he gets rolling...

Well, he did have somewhere between 13 and 23 kids, depending on sources, 40 generations ago....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, traced back to the base of the tree - pretty certain it was a Boojum.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Mom's mother's family came here before USA was here.

He fought on OLD Ironsides as a cannoneer before he was here a while before he became a citizen.

The other side of her family came from what was known as east germany before it was.

Now my Dad's side were farmers in MS.and their might be some that did some things on the wrong side of the law way back when.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Pretty much a long line of town drunks, here.
The town drunks as represented in movies -- likely all kin.
Otis in Mayberry R.F.D. -- probably him too.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My Mom's family tree was researched many years ago the Honeywell's came from Germany, some where I have the records listing each descendant starting when they left Europe. In 1649 they landed in Connecticut by 1700 they ended up in Dallas PA which is 15 minutes from were I was born.

Dads family came in the 1600's but details are slim, I did find grave stones near were I was born in PA to early 1700's and history reference to a Major the Revolutionary war. Early pre revolution war gravestones were spelled SCOUTEN then afterwards most were as dad spelled it SCOUTON. Finally around 2000 I learned the whole story, seems half the family was pro revolution and the other half believed they would be better off as part off the British empire. After the war the British supporters were run of their land and ended up in Canada. The ones that supported the war stayed and changed it to SCOUTON to differentiate them selves from the others.

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That was my uncle wrapped in the Shroud of Turin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been tracing the tree back ever since I retired. I already knew a lot from listening to my grandparents when I was young. Ancestry.Com has verified a lot of what I heard. I'm a 50/50 German-Scottish mix. German side, my mom's grandparents, all got here in 1881, from a tiny Bavarian village and 1883, from the Alsace- Lorraine area. Dad's father came here from Scotland in 1914 to work, joined the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in April 1917, fought in WW 1 and married his old girlfriend in Dundee Scotland on his way home after the war, brought her here and had my dad and two girls. Also learned a lot about some ancestors that I only knew tiny bits & pieces about. Like some guy way back in the family tree who had been a harbor pilot on the River Tay and the harbor of Dundee Scotland. That was all I knew. Now I know his name, and that he was my paternal grandmothers grandfather on her mothers side; which makes him my great, great grandfather. Worked until he was in his 90's, and died in 1925 at age 97. It was neat confirming a lot of oral history that i had heard about him and others. We all have interesting family histories but so much of it gets lost over the years as memories fade and people die off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimboshrmp

People being traced to Charlamagne is pretty common. Can’t remember why, but you can look it up. Something to the effect as few others of that era kept records and everyone wanted to claim noble blood but had no real records or something like that.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My family from both sides came to North America early and moved west with the earliest.

My Mother's side were French and settle in Canada early 1600s, some of the first to settle in Ste. Geneviève, Missouri 1700s, my GreatGreatgrandfather was born there in 1818 and moved his family to Cloverdale California to raise grapes in the 1840s. I found an article from a San Francisco paper about his death in 1876, the toll booth Lady observed his wagon carrying grapes flip over on a steep bank throwing him 75 feet over a cliff to his death.

Lots of characters from both sides of my family.

Kent

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
One of my ancestors from England kept a very brief diary of his trip from the time the ship landed until he reached western Kentucky. It was mostly just the date and one or two lines of what he did that day. One line says that he bought a piece of beef in Virginia. Another line says he bought a possum in eastern Kentucky.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've been tempted but I'm afraid I might be black.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
One of my ancestors from England kept a very brief diary of his trip from the time the ship landed until he reached western Kentucky. It was mostly just the date and one or two lines of what he did that day. One line says that he bought a piece of beef in Virginia. Another line says he bought a possum in eastern Kentucky.

can you find the thread I posted on my family history in Texas? I tried but no luck.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

can you find the thread I posted on my family history in Texas? I tried but no luck.

I remember it. "The Old 300".

I recall looking up some of the family names you mentioned and found some stuff on the net. But I don't remember what the names were. If you do a search with the name it should show up.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
385 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.