Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by Mike_S
If we were buying them the manufacturers would be producing them. Hunters voting with their wallets.

You would think that would be the case. So why did Leupold drop the VX2 2-7x33, probably their bread and butter scope?

I think a lot of demand these days is for higher and higher power variables. Lots of hunters are in to the idea of pre idiom rifles and long range hunting.

I say the idea because, for many hunters, they’re still hunting the same areas where realistic game sighting will dictate short range shots.

In today’s market, if the fixed power scope is a dinosaur the 2-7 may be a dodo.

What I question these days is how many scope buyers are actually hunters. It seems like a lower percentage than it used to be.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AMB
. . . I was saddened to here that Leupold has discontinued the 4x33.
Me also. Their fixed scopes were their only products I was interested in.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't tell anybody, but I have one on a Savage Model 99 in .243. It was the only scope I had, that had the correct eye relief for the rifle, and I put it on there until something better came along. After I used it, I found out it was just fine in the KY woods. If I can hit a squirrel head sized target at 100 yards regularly, why do I need anything better? I can hear the scoffing from here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RGK
Actually, the 3X Leupold is growing on me lately...with a heavy duplex reticle.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have one of those on my 444. I'm dumping the rifle because Hornady discontinued the 265 gr. FP, but keeping the scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by specneeds
If you hunt forests where visibility is less than 100 yards and every deer is legal certainly 4x works. If you hunt mountains & open country where you might not be able to get within 300 yards of an animal and there are antler restrictions 4x doesn’t cut it for most people. When a 4th point or a 6” brow tine means 300 lbs of elk in the freezer & the lack of either means an expensive ticket. Certainly binoculars or spotting scope can tell but not nearly as quickly as - “it’s legal Bang.”

Hitting the target may not be the only challenge. I’ve shot elk from 11-550 yards and one fixed magnification isn’t perfect for either.

This is my principal objection to all APR.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When did that happen, the most recent version is still in production ain’t it?

Added:

I use the SuperPer right now but I do see they discontinued the projectiles, wonder why?

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/23/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by szihn
To answer what I consider a ligament question "How is the 4X better? " So I'll answer in full respect and with my set of fact that leads be to this conclusion.

How's it better? In a few ways. Not any being universal but all just as ligament as the question asked.

#1 Is that field of view and light gathering are better from a fixed low powered scope then they are from a higher magnification. For game hunting I have found clarity and field of view beat larger images every time if any quickness is needed for a shot.
So the counter would be that "a variable can be set at lower power". Very true and that's exactly what I do, and what I said I do in the post above. But being that I shoot them every time on the lower power for hunting (including my longer shots-- because I can see better due to the scope allowance of more light at lower power) it makes me ask the question why I would spend a lot more money on a feature I have found to be close to useless over the last 50+ years? So for real world use they are better due to cost

#2 I own variables and I set them more/less permanently on the lower powers making them bulkier and/or heavier then a fixed power of the same magnification. So better in their size and weight.

#3 in all my years as a shooter, hunter, guide and firearms instructor I have never had to return a well made fixed power scope in for service due to it breaking something inside. I have had to have 5 of my own scoped repaired in my life and all of them were variables. These include 2 Leupolds, one Schmidt and Bender, one Burris and one Pentax. As a gun professional (gunsmith) I have also done it a few dozen times for customers and i know of at least as many that the owners did themselves and again ALL of the were variables. So I think I am safe to say for the top tier of reliability the fixed scope beats the variables. Better for reliability.

Now as I said I still own several rifles with variables on them, so I am not "against them" but if I were able to "write my own script" I would have 1 to 5X on 2 of my semi-autos and 100% of the rest of my guns for hunting big game would have good quality fixed scopes on them At this point of my life I wish every single rifle I had except my 6.8 SPC AR15 and my 5.56 AR 15 would have fixed scopes. My 2 ARs would have 1X to 5X scopes on them.

So "4X" is not as much an issue as the difference between a variable and a fixed, be it 2X 3X 4X or 6X.

To close I would point out that in a 1/4 mile run, if all runners were to cross the finish line in the span of 6 seconds the one that crossed last is "the slowest" and the one who crosses 1st is the fastest..... but the winner didn't make the losers slow. Same with fixed vs variable in my book. I am not someone that would refuse use and own a variable, but if I could, I would have nearly all fixed scopes. As it turned out many of my scopes are variables, but using them along with using fixed ones for over 1/2 a century is the REASON I am convinced the fixed scopes are indeed better for 99% of the real world shooting and hunting.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better? No. Just consistently a bit better for my uses anyway.

This is the best post on this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is only this:

Hunting rifles Leupold 2.5x, 4x, 6x

AR’s & Crossbows...ACOGs

You rapscallion game snipers and paper shooters can have the other crap but if you buy Chinese crap you should rot in Hell.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/23/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.