Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am considering purchase of a new Model 70 Featherweight in 22-250. How is the quality control at the production facility in Portugal. Are these rifles assembled in the USA or elsewhere. Generally, I hear that this is still good quality. Wasn't there some problems before production was moved to Portugal. Thanks for any feedback.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by E Blair
I am considering purchase of a new Model 70 Featherweight in 22-250. How is the quality control at the production facility in Portugal. Are these rifles assembled in the USA or elsewhere. Generally, I hear that this is still good quality. Wasn't there some problems before production was moved to Portugal. Thanks for any feedback.

They are assembled/made in Portugal. The only thing I've noticed on some of the rifles made after about 2010-2011 (before they started production in Portugal), was some of their barrels were copper mines. I've personally seen a few like this. One that my buddy has is an EW chambered in 300WSM and it was so bad he got pizzed at it and had a shooting fest with the rifle. Ran that mo fo until it was smoking hot. It smoothed out the barrel, but not what I would have done to it. It went from shooting 4" 3 shot groups, down to 1/2" now. I've also seen some bedding issues with some of theses rifles that were made here in the states. I've had to correct many a poor BACO bedding job... I tend to steer away from the Portugal Brownings, as it's not really a model 70 anymore if it's not made here in the USA... If I were to buy another BACO, it would be a first year (2008) limited edition. I think that was when FN had more of their hand in the production end of the model 70's and they were a great rifle then, with great barrels FN is known for...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Buy the rifle and go kill critters with it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm very happy with mine.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have 2. Both are excellent fit and finish. People whine about Portuguese assembly... but don't want to pay for the same gun assembled here. They're as nice as any M70 you're going to find, regardless of era.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Have 2. Both are excellent fit and finish. People whine about Portuguese assembly... but don't want to pay for the same gun assembled here. They're as nice as any M70 you're going to find, regardless of era.

And pay big bucks for certain Browning firearms, no complaints.

DF

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Good to hear on the fit and finish being good. I got a push feed Win 70 with the black synthetic stock and just like the beautiful lines of a Featherweight. I look to the 22-250 because I don't have a blazing fast .22 centerfire and want to see what that's like. I got plenty of .30 calibers and am looking for something different. Thanks for the feedback.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good to hear on the fit and finish being good. I got a push feed Win 70 with the black synthetic stock and just like the beautiful lines of a Featherweight. I look to the 22-250 because I don't have a blazing fast .22 centerfire and want to see what that's like. I got plenty of .30 calibers and am looking for something different. Thanks for the feedback.

E Blair, do you know what the twist rate is on the new Winchester model 70 22-250?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

This. ^^
So they're made in Europe, so are Mausers, CZs, and Zastavas. Who gives a rats azz ? They're good quality.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

The ones I've seen are of overall good quality.. Just too bad about the totally dumbazz decision by Browning to install that pos trigger...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Just too bad about the totally dumbazz decision by Browning to install that pos trigger...

+1

Dam fools.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchester70
Just too bad about the totally dumbazz decision by Browning to install that pos trigger...

+1

Dam fools.

I totally agree.. They should have left well enough alone, but they wanted to put their tramp stamp on it..

BSA MAGA
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lawyers

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
And Marketing Department wonks.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WTF
Lawyers

It had nothing to do with Lawyers. The old style trigger is a "tried and true", safe design. Browning thought that was the best upgrade the model 70 had seen in 72 years. Damn, they were creaming theirselves talking about this new and improved design... Guys like redneck and myself can fine tune the oldstyle trigger to damn near perfection. No need for the complicated box type MOA trigger at all. They just thought they were improving the rifle and wanted their own twist on it, so they could claim it as their own.. I'm sure you guys have seen all the videos they put out on the model 70 and the new production BACO. Unless you were living under a rock back then. The new one was said to be better than all others every to leave the factory... However, I've seen more that needed work than I've ever heard about with the pre 64's. Like bobin used to say, the pre's were "coddled" more in the factory and when they were sent out, they worked 100%. The same can't be said about the new Brownings.. The problems I've seen are poor working extractors, bad bedding, copper fouling barrels and sometimes bad moa triggers... Most times, though, the MOA only needs a lighter spring and then they are pretty good. As with all box triggers though, they can freeze up and get gummed up on you and ruin a hunt. You don't have that problem with the old tried and true design...

BSA MAGA
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

E Blair, do you know what the twist rate is on the new Winchester model 70 22-250?

The Winchester website gives a 14" twist.

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

+1

Dam fools.

Is an aftermarket trigger available, Timney maybe? I got a CZ with a crap trigger too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

+1

Dam fools.

Is an aftermarket trigger available, Timney maybe? I got a CZ with a crap trigger too.

For fuggs sake.. A timney is not going to do a damn thing, except for cost you money. Its a total lateral move. Read my post above..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The Winchester website gives a 14" twist.

Seems those twists are chiseled in granite, no way to modernize?

SAAMI specs I guess. but 8 twist sure beats 14 twist, IMO.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BS must have [bleep] luck!

I have 8, I think, BACO Model 70s. Both South Carolina and Portugal. Never had a problem with the extractors, copper fouling or anything like that. Bedding always gets re-done anyways and I adjust the dreaded MOA trigger. The rifles are vastly better machined than their Yankee/Union ancestors.

Some, if not most of the later Winchester Model 70 Classics had problems too. Shifty bedding, heavy triggers and crappy safeties, soft extractors, crooked barrels, cockeyed scope mount screw holes and generally sloppy machining and assembling. Good base for a build, but I wouldn't trust one fresh out of the box any farther than a Remington or Ruger!

OP, buy the BACO rifle and enjoy it for what it is!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.