Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Looking to build a rolling "standard" stand-up height work bench about 4' long by 28-30" wide. Anyone have something similar? Looking for joinery, construction ideas. Rolling as the shop goods will mostly be on wheels for multi-use of the space... This will be medium duty, non-welding, built from easily sourced lumber. Another, heavier duty, but, again, non-welding, about 6' by 3' or so.. Ideas appreciated, even stupid ones. grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
All thread through the top layer and glue.
Masonite glued to the top and Veerathane(spl) worked well for me. Route the edge.
Put a ground strap to the vice bolt. You may wanna weld........
Glue heavy plywood to the frame and screw it down. Think airplane. That sheet of plywood will add a lot of stout....a big triangle.
I’m building one now.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I had this old pos desk, a damaged piece of pywood, some scrap lumber, and a set of wheels I picked up at the dump.. Had to buy the screws tho.
Strictly a work bench, with no fixtures. use it almost daily when working in the garage. I've been known to put a 10 or 12 foot ladder on it to get at upper garage walls (16'). Well chocked, of course - and two of the wheels lock. Adveturesome!

oh yes - the inside of the desk is loaded up with leftover stone or ceramic tiles. That gives it some inertial stabiliy and low cog.

It's a work of art, I tell you! 40"x 96". I think. Ugly, but handy! I'm in bed now, but wil lcheck dims & post a pic tomorrow for your entertainment. smile

Last edited by las; 05/23/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Looking to build a rolling "standard" stand-up height work bench about 4' long by 28-30" wide. Anyone have something similar? Looking for joinery, construction ideas. Rolling as the shop goods will mostly be on wheels for multi-use of the space... This will be medium duty, non-welding, built from easily sourced lumber. Another, heavier duty, but, again, non-welding, about 6' by 3' or so.. Ideas appreciated, even stupid ones. grin

Non welding? Damn, I got nothing then....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Non welding? Damn, I got nothing then....

Yah, welding / paint mixing / chemical storage, didn't exude warm fuzzies.....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bring it on! I will await with great anticipation....

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
MtnBoomer ,

Morning ..

Don't get the workbench too tall - lifting a huge dirtbike up to real high is hard on a mans back ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
F
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
F
Get bigger casters than you think youll need. Make sure they have good locking mechanisms.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I built mine. Out of scrap 2X4 and 2X6, nothing. Fancy, but it. Works,

100% agree wth ftCity, get large casters than you need, locking. And. Swivels. That’s the majority of the expense.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one made out of an old heavy-duty door. It was left in the shop when I bought my current house and it works great.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image from ]

Details can be found HERE

This top ended up 26 1/2”x73 1/2”. I’ve added two more slide outs since that pic was taken.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Harbor freight has a fine selection of wheels and casters for your Memorial Day DIY projects. 😀

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I made one out of a 72" bathroom vanity I got for free. Glued and screwed 3/4" plywood to the top. Made a frame with 8 small castor's to set it on so it is a couple inches higher than standard , which is handy for me less bending to see small work. The best part of it is the existing drawers and doors . 4 regular size and 2 extra deep soft close drawers and the center holds my 10" chop saw and a bunch of gallon sized jugs. Total cost about 20.00.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why would anybody want a workbench that rolls, unless there's some way to retract the casters? Chasing a work project around the shop when the bench is on caster wheels isn't my idea of something I'd want to do! I like my workbench to be as solid and immovable as possible. Even a little shake bugs me.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hangunnr
[Linked Image from ]

This top ended up 26 1/2”x73 1/2”. I’ve added two more slide outs since that pic was taken.

There was hometown homer here that was making and selling those at the walk in counter at Mid South Shooters Supply.com

$150

Renegade50 was rushing me along cause he wanted to hit up the CiCi pizza place.

Old guy quit making them by the time I could get back out there.

Steal of a deal, I already have a reloading bench but I would’ve bought that for a deer processing table.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
https://youtu.be/XLyUQcJJDkU

I have a set of steel legs out of 4 inch tubing in an H pattern that I am waiting for a top to put on them and a shop to put it in.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Why would anybody want a workbench that rolls, unless there's some way to retract the casters? Chasing a work project around the shop when the bench is on caster wheels isn't my idea of something I'd want to do! I like my workbench to be as solid and immovable as possible. Even a little shake bugs me.
Jerry

For phucqk's sake that is helpful. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by hangunnr
[Linked Image from ]

There was hometown homer here that was making and selling those at the walk in counter at Mid South Shooters Supply.com

$150

Renegade50 was rushing me along cause he wanted to hit up the CiCi pizza place.

Old guy quit making them by the time I could get back out there.

Steal of a deal, I already have a reloading bench but I would’ve bought that for a deer processing table.

That guy is always causing problems, all for pizza? Geeze Ren!

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike
MtnBoomer ,

Morning ..

Don't get the workbench too tall - lifting a huge dirtbike up to real high is hard on a mans back ..

I can envision some epic fail footage trying to get my DR650 atop a bench using various powered options, ramps, hoists, jumps etc.. LOL!

--- Kid Rock 2022

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

Portability being the main reason. This is for light work, don’t need a heavy duty bench 90% of the time. There is a new invention out there called locking casters that work pretty well for keeping the bench where I want it......😃

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,391
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.