Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have two Ridged pipe wrenches, and 3', and a 2', both have bent handles. I bent the three foot in 76, cheater pipe, and a loader.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You should not need a 3/4 breaker bar to torque a axle nut to 180

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Climb right under those HF jack stands without a backup.

Remember it's better to be lucky than smart.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Total misuse of a tool and expecting a warranty replacement to boot...

dishonesty comes in all shapes and sizes and colors...….this is a prime example of that...….bob

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by EdM

dishonesty comes in all shapes and sizes and colors...….this is a prime example of that...….bob

A 3/4 wrench that can't handle 180 ft lb of torque is defective.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm not sure that dishonesty figures in here. Pretty sure you can tell Harbor Fright exactly what happened and they will replace the tool.

Edit; Get a second ratchet out of them and you're still the one that got ripped off...

Last edited by johnw; 05/24/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I needed to replace the hubs on my 3/4 ton pickup. The axle nuts are supposed to be torqued to 180 so I figured I might need a 3/4" wrench just to be safe. It's a 1 time use (I hope) so I got one at Harbor Frt. China really came through for me. I put a cheater bar on it and it bent about 10 degrees. I'm surprised it didn't break. It looks like a boomerang. I got the nuts off by using a longer pipe and sliding it all the way up to the ratchet. After I get it back together, I'll take it back to HF since it has a lifetime warranty (assuming my lifetime lasts until next week). I might just trade it for a 3/4" breaker bar.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You are aware that you are not supposed to use an extension on them...right?

he will try to remember that when he gets a new one for free...….bob

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
1/2 cordless high-torque impact will have 700+ Ft/Lb, then you can leave it in your truck when you're done with the hubs for anytime you need to change tires on the truck or anything you're pulling. Charge the Li-Ion batteries about every 6Mo and you're golden.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That reminds me, I just got tires at Jose’s New and Used Tire Shop. They are fast and cheap but man, they don’t mess around with them air wrenches.

Gotta break the nuts loose in the driveway first and re-torque them to doable before I end up trying to do the same out by the highway somewhere.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've read, 1/4 bolts, 1/4 drive, and so on up the size. Before Jake bout his Dewalt 20volt impact, I watched the 3/4 breaker when we were both pulling hard on the cheater pipe bend.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We have two Ridged pipe wrenches, and 3', and a 2', both have bent handles. I bent the three foot in 76, cheater pipe, and a loader.

I can't recall ever seeing a 24" or 36" pipe wrench that didn't have a bent handle. Other than Lowes or Home Depot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've read, 1/4 bolts, 1/4 drive, and so on up the size. Before Jake bout his Dewalt 20volt impact, I watched the 3/4 breaker when we were both pulling hard on the cheater pipe bend.

Should be that way

In a perfect world a guy shouldn't use a 1/2" ratchet on a 1" bolt. But in my perfect world that 1" bolt would always be in the shop, not a quarter mile away and 60 feet in the air.
S-K always pushed the 1/2" bolt, 1/2" ratchet stuff, all the while cheerfully selling 1 1/2" sockets in 1/2" drive.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Most nuts are torqued to as tight as a guy can get them. On cars, though, you expect them to come from the factory torqued to their own specs. An axle nut on this pickup is torqued to 180 ft-lb. Any 3/4" wrench should easily be able to handle that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most nuts are torqued to as tight as a guy can get them. On cars, though, you expect them to come from the factory torqued to their own specs. An axle nut on this pickup is torqued to 180 ft-lb. Any 3/4" wrench should easily be able to handle that.

Put the right size cheater bar where it belongs on the ratchet and it won't bend, even China junk. A sharp blow with a hammer does a good job of loosing a nut or bolt up .

Life is good live it while you can.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by sidepass
Their 1/2 inch Icon breaker bar at 25 inches has worked for me.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
When are dumb mf'ers gonna stop shopping at HF and buying this chinese sheit?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting I would have expected the guts to strip out. If you would slide your pipe all the way to the base the handle wouldn’t bend. I think harbor freight breaker bars work fine. Torque wrenches too.

Or save a bunch of work and just rattle it off with a impact wrench. Harbor freight Impact sockets though....

Sean
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mirage243
When are dumb mf'ers gonna stop shopping at HF and buying this chinese sheit?

When someone opens a business that sells american made what I need now. $100 in fuel 2 hrs of my time and you get there and they don't have it in stock. The internet has created a business atmosphere where inventory cost, so if you need something they will order it for you. I can order it myself and do so if I know up front what I need next week. If needed now that china crap will have to do. Especially with the virus shutdowns.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Harbor Fright has a recall on their jackstands right now. I went out last night and read the stock numbers and I have two sets! I figured I was safe with a jackstand.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 62 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.