Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any have any success tracing your family back?

Yep. The whole way back to Scotland. Three brothers apparently had the choice to emigrate to the new world, or face punishment for their crimes ( horse stealing primarily) The settled in Westmoreland County Pa. in the mid 1700s, fought in the Revolution and the Indian wars and started the whole clan between them.

My grandfather used to say, when queried, " you don't want to know about that side of the family...bunch of horse thieves..." laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife is a really good genealogy researcher and did lots of work on my family. Being from the North Country of NY near the Canadian border, much of my ancestry is French Canadian. My first ancestor, on my paternal side, that came to North America was a French soldier/armorer who was one of the early settlers of Montreal in the mid 1600s. When the King of France wanted to colonize Canada (New France) he asked French women to go the new world to marry soldiers/fur traders. These women known as "The King's Daughters" (Filles du Roi) married men in Quebec and Montreal and became the first families of Canada. My ancestor, Jean-Baptiste Bousquet, married one of these women, Catherine Fourrier.

On my maternal side, my 5X Great-Grandfather, Antoine Paulint, was a French soldier from near Grenoble who came to Canada with General Montcalm to fight in what we call the French and Indian War (The Seven Years War). He was an enlisted man who helped build Fort Carillon (later named Fort Ticonderoga by the English) and who fought in the Battles Fort William Henry and of Fort Carillon, defeating a much superior force of English lead by Gen Abercrombie. He also fought in the Battle of Quebec City, on the Plains of Abraham, in a losing effort. After the war he stayed in Quebec and married a daughter (16 years his junior) of a fellow former French soldier. When General Montgomery, at the beginning of the Revolutionary War, invaded Quebec in 1775, he recruited former French soldiers (whose hatred of the English was well known). These recruited Canadians formed the 1st and 2nd Canadian Regiments. Captain Antoine Paulint was 41 yrs old in 1775 when he joined the 2nd Canadian Regiment. He was at Valley Forge and fought in the battles at Staten Island, Brandywine, Germantown and Yorktown with General Washington and Lafayette. It was said that he was friends with Lafayette, due to being an officer with a common language. After the war he couldn't go back to Canada and having no land in the US, he was granted 900 acres on the shore of Lake Champlain and would go on to start the Village of Coopersville NY and settled it with others from his former regiment. It is family lore that at the age of 79 he watched the English sail past his house, down Lake Champlain, in 1813 and wished that he was younger so that he could fight the English once more.

ps, His Great-Grandson (my Great-Great-Grandfather) enlisted in the Union Army and was captured at the First Battle of Bull Run, was paroled, re-enlisted and fought under General Grant. He named one of his sons Grant and another Lincoln.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My ancestry is easy. Norway on my Mothers side. Sweden on my Fathers side.

Their first stops in America were Minnesota and Iowa. The Norwegians (Mother's side) moved to Montana and squatted on the Crow Reservation when the Crow's got moved to where they are now.

The Swedes (Father's side) never left Iowa. My dad moved to Yellowstone Park to work, met my Mother who also worked there , got married and made me and my two brothers and sister.

So far, we have lived "happily ever after" 4th generation in MT. Our kids and grand kids now 5th and 6th.

Still no "Royalty" grin

Last edited by kennymauser; 05/24/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
American......
100%
DGAF about eurotrash notions of ancestory....

same here...…...bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by auk1124
The thing about geneology is, it tracks family names, not actual parentage. In other words, it ignores the reality that for a lot of people, odds are good that there was some hanky panky going on through those generations, and there were no DNA tests back then.

Your family NAME may trace back to Richard the Lionhearted, but your actual DNA may trace back to Sam the Milkman...

That’s it right there

And all part of my snarky posts earlier. You always see someone claiming some absurd linkage. lol

Yet to see anyone fess up to having a maternal link to Tom Jefferson’s brown sugar sex magik ‘farm girls’ girls.
lol

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Mom and Grandmother did a whole lot of genealogy work back before the internet. A lot of "vacations" were dragging my brother and I through cemeteries in GA, MS, AR and TX and musty old courtroom document rooms. In the national archives researching Revolution war pensions and other fisches tired

That side I know back to Islay Scotland and the first came over (via London) in the 1662 through Norfolk and Cape Fear. Some settled there but mostly went west including living in the State of Franklin in 1780 following the Revolution (where as near as I can tell from pensions they did a lot of marching arriving a day late for the battle) then on to AR where some served there during the Civil War (I have a tin type of him). Some kept moving west and ended in Texas in 1835 fighting for Texas.

They settled down then in San Sabba county with land he got for serving and became a family of farmers out through my Grandparents. WW-II changed all that and they leased the land and finally sold the farm in in the 80's.

It's great to be a self-made American who might not give a darn about some old people form Europe but seeing my ancestors marriage record in the marriage book in London's All Hallows Church from 17 August 1662 gives a person perspective. The guts they had to look to the far horizon and envision a better life and go do it is inspiring to me when I look at the trivial stuff we deal with today.

Last edited by Pugs; 05/24/20. Reason: typo

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gone and traced at a bunch different ancestral lines on Family Search, some run out and are incomplete, some go beyond BC, sometimes I find what I like to call the bullchit line too. Go back far enough most of us likely share a common ancestor.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by slumlord
The thing about geneology is, it tracks family names, not actual parentage. In other words, it ignores the reality that for a lot of people, odds are good that there was some hanky panky going on through those generations, and there were no DNA tests back then.

Your family NAME may trace back to Richard the Lionhearted, but your actual DNA may trace back to Sam the Milkman...

That’s it right there

And all part of my snarky posts earlier. You always see someone claiming some absurd linkage. lol

Yet to see anyone fess up to having a maternal link to Tom Jefferson’s brown sugar sex magik ‘farm girls’ girls.
lol

Yeah.

It's always the guy that's 5' 10", with schit brown eyes that claims Leif Erickson was his great granddaddy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some interesting stuff here folks - thanks.
Mine fairly simple - on one side Scots that came over in later 1700s and settled in the South somewhere and gradually wandered up to DE and southeastern PA. On the other side were Schwenkfelders who left Silesia (German/Polish border area) for religious reasons in the 1700s and became very well established in eastern PA. So - it is boring - simply Anglo-Saxon.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"On the other side were Schwenkfelders who left Silesia (German/Polish border area) for religious reasons in the 1700s and became very well established in eastern PA. So - it is boring - simply Anglo-Saxon."

You may already know this Paul, but in the mod 1700’s Silesia was being continually fought over by Frederick the Great, Maria Theresa of Austria, and occassionally ( depending on who they allied with this time) the Russians. Old Fritz pretty much came out on top after the Battle of Leuthen. ( You might remember reading from your music days the Prussian soldiers singing the "Leuthen Chorale" after this battle. JS Bach’s "Nun danket alle Gott" BWV 79).

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Traced the Powell side back to a grandfather born in Va 1740s, that's as far as I could get on my own googling. The real stories with meat are from the late 1700s and 1800s when they lived in Pendleton District, South Carolina, two brothers intermarried with mixed Cherokee brides, I came from one of those brothers. They moved to Ga 1840s with their parents.

1863 my ancestor grandfather and the oldest child Mary died of tuberculosis. Elvira moved the rest of the kids away from the remaining family, for whatever reason, some say to get her son who was 13 away from conscription into the confederate army. 8 kids, moved to Old Parker KS, near Coffeyville, took the ferry across and settled on the west side of the river, one of the first settlers in the area. Farmed, ran a boarding house, and cobbled, blacksmithed.

Her oldest son my gggrandfater, was in his late teens, story is he and some twins were caught by a posse from Coffeyville and accused of stealing horses, they were hanging them by the river and one twin was hung, John and the other twin escape and hid in the river. The next morning they sent word to Elvira through a friend, she loaded her rifle on the wagon and road through Coffeyville and picked them up, riding back through daring anyone to try and take her son. Some time latter John was approached in another town by some in that posse, an argument broke out, shots fired and some of them were killed. John eventually moved to Oklahoma next to the Cherokee nation and lived a long life.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Cattle rievers, pork miners, kohlrabi mongers, and religious fanatics. Two-bit redneck, cousin-marryin’ peckerwoods!

you left out cedar-choppers!

Nope! No cedar choppers!! Whe have some dignity !

Even the lesser-Gentry must keep up appearances...... grin

good on ya buddy!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I think mine is a potato or peanut plant..... smile

That’s it right there

lol

5-10% of life fathers, it is claimed by various sources, are not the biological fathers, tho they think they are. Or pretend to think they are.

I don't think I'd care - every kid needs a father, no matter who. DNA test will tell, tho.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My wife traced her’s on her father’s side to King Charlemagne’s father (can’t remember his name). She has “one hellofa family tree). My search ended at a prison somewhere in Germany (joke) grin: memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/24/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by las
I think mine is a potato or peanut plant..... smile

That’s it right there

lol

5-10% of life fathers, it is claimed by various sources, are not the biological fathers, tho they think they are. Or pretend to think they are.

I don't think I'd care - every kid needs a father, no matter who. DNA test will tell, tho.

Over the years I've known and known OF several men who knowingly and willingly married women already pregnant by other men. When born the child was given their surname on the birth certificate and gladly raised as their own blood anyway. They saw the child as the other man's loss and their treasured gain.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by renegade50
American......
100%
DGAF about eurotrash notions of ancestory....

same here...…...bob

Pretty much me, too. Other members of my family have taken an interest in genealogy but, as far as I'm concerned, my ancestors are simply irrelevant names on a page...I just can't get interested.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Probably the largest assemblage of my ancestors ever photographed. My great great Grandfather is the man standing close to center in the suit preparing to marry his second wife. The small woman on the right holding the child is my great Grandmother. The child she's holding is my great uncle. (Grandfather's brother) My Great Grandfather is wearing the dark hat and sitting on the horse. The pic was taken at the old place in McCracken County Kentucky.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never really been all that interested. In any event, I am sure that I would rank far down the line on all of the "been here the longest/most famous connections" contests.

Last edited by 5sdad; 05/24/20.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I've never really been all that interested. In any event, I am sure that I would rank far down the line on all of the "been here the longest/most famous connections" contest.

It's interesting to me because many generations of my family are buried in the small community where I grew up. In fact, the land that I grew up on was part of the original homestead that my ancestors purchased when they first moved into the region.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.