Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thank you for sharing They were brave men giving their all for their country.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
phew......
I wasn't born until 1972 so my thoughts or opinions don't mean crap, but the more I learn about that war it just seems like a waste.....

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by helidriver72
phew......
I wasn't born until 1972 so my thoughts or opinions don't mean crap, but the more I learn about that war it just seems like a waste.....

This is a very interesting video of interviews with Vietnam veterans. "Vietnam Remembered."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
phew......

You are absolutely correct. Just like dealing with individuals trying to harm you or yours that have to be stopped right now. There are nations, organizations that would bring harm to this nation and it'd people that need to be deterred and or destroyed. I would like police action wars like Korea and the SEATO to cause the war in South VN forever stopped unless our military has the orders to do whatever is required, using whatever weapon is the most expedient with the least number of casualties to our troops. You will notice that Germany and Japan both have played nicely the past 75 years

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
phew......

You are absolutely correct. Just like dealing with individuals trying to harm you or yours that have to be stopped right now. There are nations, organizations that would bring harm to this nation and it'd people that need to be deterred and or destroyed. I would like police action wars like Korea and the SEATO to cause the war in South VN forever stopped unless our military has the orders to do whatever is required, using whatever weapon is the most expedient with the least number of casualties to our troops. You will notice that Germany and Japan both have played nicely the past 75 years

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Six gone out of nine, is a hell of a shot for a small close knit community. Six times those green sedans had to drive through that little town to deliver that news.

I bet if you looked, Morenci still sends plenty to the service every year. tough town, tough people.

There is a MMA fighter from Morenci right now, Gaithje.

Sycamore

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for posting, damn shame, tough times for such a small town. Semper Fi

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't read the OP article without subscribing but here's another article about them: MORENCI MARINES

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
tag

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
phew......
I don't think so.

The war put the brakes on Communist expansion, limiting it to the South. We won every major battle we fought and we were on the cusp of absolutely defeating NVN when we pulled out.
Was the war mismanaged? Yes. Did our press do more damage than the Commies? Yes. Could the war have been finished much sooner with fewer casualties? Yes.

Was it, given the interference from the press and the mismanagement by our leaders, worth it? I'll let you decide.

https://ashbrook.org/publications/oped-owens-99-vietnamwar/

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can't read the OP article without subscribing but here's another article about them: MORENCI MARINES

the first article is written by the history prof mentioned in your article:

“It’s very representative,” said Arizona State University history professor Kyle Longley, who spent five years writing a book on the Morenci Nine, "The Morenci Marines: A Tale of Small Town America and the Vietnam War." “Not just the men, which are very important, but it’s also a community."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 659 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.