Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Anything the Crapmore does, can be done with a 6.5x47 Lapua, along with a better fit in a 2.800" mag box.
Other than availability of factory ammo, factory rifles, and brass options.

I was talking performance.....of course you knew that.......

Of course there are benefits to the Lap (shorter OAL), but there are benefits to the Creed, as well. That's all I'm saying. Aside from availability and popularity, they're VERY similar in almost every way.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Anything the Crapmore does, can be done with a 6.5x47 Lapua, along with a better fit in a 2.800" mag box.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Except for readily available, affordable factory ammo...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't understand the hatred for the 6.5 CM.

I have an older CZ 550 in 6.5x55 that I love and has been my favorite deer rifle for many years. I wanted to shoot a shorter barreled 6.5 with my new suppressor at the time. I did not want to change the CZ, so I bought 2 Howas from Whitakers when they had the sale a while back. I thought was a good price and not out a lot of money If I didn't like them. One I cut to 18" and threaded. the other is still NIB.The modified one kills deer just as nice for me as any rifle I have ever used.

I guess some people still hate the 223 because the 222 was such a good round. And we all know about 270 shooters, right? smile

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Except for readily available, affordable factory ammo...

John

You made a key point summarizing the popularity of the Creed.

Aalf is right, as he usually is, but representing the thinking of a hard core Loony, not Joe Sixpack or the unwashed masses who walk into their LGS asking “what’s best“. You already know what the “expert” behind the counter is gonna say.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
I don't understand the hatred for the 6.5 CM.

I have an older CZ 550 in 6.5x55 that I love and has been my favorite deer rifle for many years. I wanted to shoot a shorter barreled 6.5 with my new suppressor at the time. I did not want to change the CZ, so I bought 2 Howas from Whitakers when they had the sale a while back. I thought was a good price and not out a lot of money If I didn't like them. One I cut to 18" and threaded. the other is still NIB.The modified one kills deer just as nice for me as any rifle I have ever used.

I guess some people still hate the 223 because the 222 was such a good round. And we all know about 270 shooters, right? smile

The ones that hate it, haven't tried it. There's a lot to be loved about the 6.5 CM. Nice shooting to the OP's buddy Jeff too, by the way..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing wrong with 6.5 cm, I will say it was one of the easiest to get to shoot. Pick a 4350 powder and bullet of choice and go shoot.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Nothing wrong with 6.5 cm, I will say it was one of the easiest to get to shoot. Pick a 4350 powder and bullet of choice and go shoot.

The 6.5 CM was designed to shoot well at long range. For me, its been the easiest to get the pills to land where they are supposed to when you stretch the distance out. Even in windy conditions. It takes a lot of headache out of the equation. I see that a lot when I'm shooting against my boss at our 450 yard range. He's using berger VLD's in his 300wm and they just don't perform nearly as well as the high bc 6.5 bullets I use. I'm also talking about hitting 1/2 moa targets with regularity here. He's lucky to consistently hit the 6" plate, where I generally will smack the hell out of the little 2" plate:

Here's one such picture to show you that exact scenerio. He tried and tried to hit the 4", but no could do. Had to swallow his pride and barely hit the 6" plate. I hit the 2" too many times that it broke the factory weld seam loose. The same thing happened to the 6" plate my boss hit. Welded those seams up proper, now we don't have issues with that anymore... 2" is a small target to hit at 400 yards, but that is where the 6.5 creedmoor really shines. Some guys get it, some guys wine about it, some guys hate it....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 79S

For sure.

And, you can even get great performance with factory ammo.

Can’t say that for every round.

DF

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

The 6.5 CM was designed to shoot well at long range. For me, its been the easiest to get the pills to land where they are supposed to when you stretch the distance out. Even in windy conditions. It takes a lot of headache out of the equation. I see that a lot when I'm shooting against my boss at our 450 yard range. He's using berger VLD's in his 300wm and they just don't perform nearly as well as the high bc 6.5 bullets I use. I'm also talking about hitting 1/2 moa targets with regularity here. He's lucky to consistently hit the 6" plate, where I generally will smack the hell out of the little 2" plate:

Here's one such picture to show you that exact scenerio. He tried and tried to hit the 4", but no could do. Had to swallow his pride and barely hit the 6" plate. I hit the 2" too many times that it broke the factory weld seam loose. The same thing happened to the 6" plate my boss hit. Welded those seams up proper, now we don't have issues with that anymore... 2" is a small target to hit at 400 yards, but that is where the 6.5 creedmoor really shines. Some guys get it, some guys wine about it, some guys hate it....

One can find several write up on the internet how the 6.5 CM came about.. also helped hornady went all in with it, provided a lot tech support..

Last edited by 79S; 05/24/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
This conversation just keeps raging on and it seems like somebody lights a fuse every time it comes up. I don't see enough difference in these two rounds to be worth arguing over. IMO, pick one that sounds cool to you and use and I'm betting you won't see an ounce of difference between them - and that's only if you've used both in similar situations...

What I really wonder though,is how long the 6.5 CM will need to be out before it is just accepted like most other rounds have been over the years that may or may not have the same capabilities of the CM....

You talk like the 6.5 CM came out last month.. it came out in 2007.. the 270 which has a bunch of naysayers came out in 1925 and still isn’t accepted by many to include the same ones that dump on the 6.5 CM

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 79S

For sure.

And, you can even get great performance with factory ammo.

Can’t say that for every round.

DF

Sure as chidt. I have a funny story to tell about a coworker I sold my Savage 12fv to. He was feeling left out because he didn't have a rifle to shoot when we went and shot 400 yards, so I sold him one of my 6.5's. Yeah, the rifle shoots very well. I worked it over like usual with bedding and load development. Anyway, this is how she shot with my handloads:

I made him a package deal for $500.00. SWFA SS 16X MIL/MIL quad etc and rifle. I scribed the turret so that I could shoot out to 1000 yards with the rifle. So anyway, last weekend he is bear hunting with my boss and my bosses father in law that recently bought a Huskemaw rifle for $7,000.00. I guess my bosses FIL was having a hard time hitting the target at 550 yards, so my shop forman pulls out the rifle I sold him and he calmly turned the dial until it was in between the 5 and 6 that I had scribed:

He adjusts the parallax/focus on the scope and puts 2 right in the middle of the target, then calmly puts the rifle back in its case. My boss and his FIL say, "aren't you going to shoot anymore". He says, "no I'm good, I hit the target. You guys need to keep shooting though".. This wasn't shot with my handloads either, but with the Hornady match load that uses the same bullet my handload does. It runs about 30-50 fps slower than my loads do... There are some good factory ammo out there for the creed, for sure.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great story, bsa.

Loved it. David whupped up on ole Goliath, yet again.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great story, bsa.

Loved it. David whupped up on ole Goliath, yet again.

DF

Ha ha.. Yeah.. I forgot to mention that they both use magnums. The "best of the west" Huskemaw chambered in 7mm rem mag and the other a Rem 700 300wm... grin. They are also using very expensive scopes. My boss uses a Leupold VX6 HD 4-24x52 with CDS. They did get spanked though...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pay for what ya get...

Or NOT...!

Ha!

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pay for what ya get...

Or NOT...!

Ha!

DF

HA HA.... grin whistle

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seems like the 6.5PRC has surpassed the Creedmore with those really into long range precision.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bastardized version of 6.5x284!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Seems like the 6.5PRC has surpassed the Creedmore with those really into long range precision.

And not caring about barrel longevity.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook

And not caring about barrel longevity.

Or the price of ammo

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much more 'powder capacity' does that 'stretch version' have over the 6.5x284? And how many less rounds does it take to 'burn out a barrel'? To the same 'burnt-out state, of course?....

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
465 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.