Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I put a 1 91/8 twist 243 barrel on my Savage 110 taking off the 308 barrel that was on it. Headspaced it tight (+.001) on a new Winchester case and was good with that. I mounted my new SWFA 10-42 on it, adjusted the trigger as far down as the spring would let me and went to work. The 4895 load the other rifle shot so well was a mediocre load in this rifle and after doing a bit of charge changing I gave up on it and went to I4350. The bullet I am using is the Speer 100 gr. BTSP, primer CCI200. Did 39.0,40.0 and 41.0grs of I4350. Seated the bullet just off the lands and went shooting. All seemed safe as in they showed not pressure signs. So I loaded up 6 of the 41.0 gr. load and put 5 into .71. I really am not shooting well today seeming to have some side to side movement I can't control but not much and tried to control it by squeezing off just after my heart beat. The last round I chronied on my magnetospeed and got 3058 fps. Back to the drawing board, loaded 10 more at 40.0 grains and now it is raining. The scope is a clear piece of glass and adjustments did exactly as they are supposed to. The scope is pretty heavy though and I think the windage turret sticks out a bit far.

Last edited by rickt300; 05/24/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What front rest are you using? I've found that any sideways pressure from my front rest will throw shots horizontally, no matter how hard or loose I hold. The "Bull-Bag" type rests are the worst for me.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would try flat base bullets to see if that helps. Some of my rifles don't like boat tails.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I reload .243 a bunch, and with the 9 1/8 twist Rem 700 had very good groups with 100 gr. SMK CCI 200 41.5 gr. H-4350 OAL 2.810
for shooting paper.

for hunting I use the 100 gr. SGK same as above, both shoot about the same, Never had very good luck with the Speer 100 gr.

Rio7

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Shooting off a bipod actually and when the wind dies down a bit I am going to set up a different front rest. Got the Speers real cheap and in reality they are shooting just fine from a factory Savage barre that came off of a model 10 Savage. Being talked into going back to the HOA out by Richland Chambers for some hog control and hoping the Speer bullet mostly stays in the hog. I hate shooting in neighborhoods even when they pay me to do it.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well there's always Potlandia...

All I don't know if you need a license or its legal, to shoot all those fat Antifa Hogs up there..

but if it is, then its a certainly target rich environment...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Antifa seems to keep hid pretty well around here but there are some fat Hillary hogs around for sure. You should see how bad the hogs will dig up a golf course looking for cutworms and June bug larvae (might be the same thing). I usually set a sliced up pineapple in a sand trap with a berm behind it, put a green light with a motion censor up and lay in wait 150 yards or so out. Usually in a nice lawn char and with a portable shooting bench for a rest. The suck part is the dead hogs have to be removed before daylight so the rich people don't see them, even caugh a bit of hell for not sweeping the sand trap smooth!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
The suck part is the dead hogs have to be removed before daylight so the rich people don't see them, even caugh a bit of hell for not sweeping the sand trap smooth!

You unwashed brute you! 😆

Seriously though, if they are paying you, why not ask them to finance a thermal? Your kills would probably go way up.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't really need one as the hogs stand out perfectly in front of the white sand and just a little moonlight makes them stand out really well. The motion sensor green light works pretty good too. The facts are this is such a tight place to be shooting I can only use the sand trap berms for backstops. I did nail one Saturday around 3am. Chest hit right in the heart, well didn't open him up but I'd say it was a heart shot. Then had to drag him off the property with a rope behind the truck and 2 miles away down a dirt road, open a gate, drag him to the back of that property and get my drag rope of off of him. He was too big for me to get in the back of my high assed 4wd.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.