-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
anyone on https://www.gedmatch.com/ , lets compare DNA .

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by las
I think mine is a potato or peanut plant..... smile

Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by auk1124
The thing about geneology is, it tracks family names, not actual parentage. In other words, it ignores the reality that for a lot of people, odds are good that there was some hanky panky going on through those generations, and there were no DNA tests back then.

Your family NAME may trace back to Richard the Lionhearted, but your actual DNA may trace back to Sam the Milkman...

That’s it right there

And all part of my snarky posts earlier. You always see someone claiming some absurd linkage. lol

Yet to see anyone fess up to having a maternal link to Tom Jefferson’s brown sugar sex magik ‘farm girls’ girls.
lol

5-10% of life fathers, it is claimed by various sources, are not the biological fathers, tho they think they are. Or pretend to think they are.

I don't think I'd care - every kid needs a father, no matter who. DNA test will tell, tho.

Over the years I've known and known OF several men who knowingly and willingly married women already pregnant by other men. When born the child was given their surname on the birth certificate and gladly raised as their own blood anyway. They saw the child as the other man's loss and their treasured gain.

"Your father just landed a three-pound trout."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by las

The thing about geneology is, it tracks family names, not actual parentage. In other words, it ignores the reality that for a lot of people, odds are good that there was some hanky panky going on through those generations, and there were no DNA tests back then.

Your family NAME may trace back to Richard the Lionhearted, but your actual DNA may trace back to Sam the Milkman...

That’s it right there

And all part of my snarky posts earlier. You always see someone claiming some absurd linkage. lol

Yet to see anyone fess up to having a maternal link to Tom Jefferson’s brown sugar sex magik ‘farm girls’ girls.
lol

5-10% of life fathers, it is claimed by various sources, are not the biological fathers, tho they think they are. Or pretend to think they are.

I don't think I'd care - every kid needs a father, no matter who. DNA test will tell, tho.

You're right of course, raising matters in the long run a hell of a lot more than DNA. But the modern dna tests at 23andme, etc. can reveal some possible sins of the past.

"Grandma always said we were Italian on both sides of the family. Why the hell did my dna come back as 1/8 Lithuanian? " Lol

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by las

That’s it right there

lol

You're right of course, raising matters in the long run a hell of a lot more than DNA. But the modern dna tests at 23andme, etc. can reveal some possible sins of the past.

"Grandma always said we were Italian on both sides of the family. Why the hell did my dna come back as 1/8 Lithuanian?
" Lol

And then again, it could just easily raise question as to the accuracy and reliability of the consumer DNA tests for determining ethnicity.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ftu23

TUMLINSON, GEORGE W. (1814–1836). George W. Tumlinson, Alamo defender, son of Elizabeth and James Tumlinson, Jr., was born in Missouri in 1814. He moved to Texas and settled in Gonzales. Tumlinson entered the Texan Artillery under Almeron Dickinson on September 23, 1835. He took part in the siege of Bexar and was discharged afterward. He reenlisted on December 14 for six months of service in Capt. William R. Carey's artillery company. Sometime before the siege of the Alamo began, Tumlinson may have left for his home in Gonzales, returning to the Alamo on March 1, 1836, with the Gonzales Ranging Company of Mounted Volunteers. Tumlinson died in the battle of the Alamo on March 6, 1836.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
True! Who knows how accurate those dna tests are.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The fact remains, as interesting as our heritage may be, and it is, were are here now to do our best.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
Traced My family tree to Edward Gove who tried to start a revolt in 1683 in New Hampshire and was sent to the Tower of London for Three years before He was set free. And Carlos Gove that was a gunsmith in the old west and made a under lever for the Remington Rolling Block thats was very popular at the time.

Last edited by grumpy7904; 05/24/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
mutt on father's side

mutt on mother's side.

therefore mutt here

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure was nice of our ancestors to fight indians, clear land, hand dig 1 ton rocks, drag em off with mules, and burn stumps till their backs broke....so we could inherit a farm and goof off on the innernek all day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure was nice of our ancestors to fight indians, clear land, hand dig 1 ton rocks, drag em off with mules, and burn stumps till their backs broke....so we could inherit a farm and goof off on the innernek all day.
lol no chit.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
It's not about linage, it's about the people themselves. Both sides of my family, the common thread is they were among the first as each area of this country was opened up. They just kept moving west.

I've found it disingenuous when common Mexicans claim they are indigenous to the southwest just because Mexico had a claim of title from 1821 to 1846 from Spain. They didn't live here, they didn't control the territory, Indians did and they hated Mexicans that ventured in.

A relative came into NM to trade with the Utes in the 1820s, was a guide for Kit Carson and Fremont when they came through and in their books. He guided my GGgrandfather, his cousin, to the newly opened California wine country in the 1840s to grow grapes.

I'm indigenous to the southwest, more than a mexican, not as much as an indian.

I have about every nationality mixed but I'm born to the west through blood and sweat.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"On the other side were Schwenkfelders who left Silesia (German/Polish border area) for religious reasons in the 1700s and became very well established in eastern PA. So - it is boring - simply Anglo-Saxon."
You may already know this Paul, but in the mod 1700’s Silesia was being continually fought over by Frederick the Great, Maria Theresa of Austria, and occassionally ( depending on who they allied with this time) the Russians. Old Fritz pretty much came out on top after the Battle of Leuthen. ( You might remember reading from your music days the Prussian soldiers singing the "Leuthen Chorale" after this battle. JS Bach’s "Nun danket alle Gott" BWV 79).
Thanks Bob - I did know most of that and quite a bit more due to the fact that the Schwenkfelder Heritage Center in PA caught up with me in the 1980s after my great uncle provided them a bunch of family history data. He was proud to be a Schwenkfelder and hoped I would become active in the efforts of their Society. Already a very busy fellow, I did not go in heavily but in the course of things they educated me fairly well about the old history of that area, the back and forth dominance, the key actors, etc. In the early 2000s they sent a delegation into the Polish side of the area to locate, photograph and write about some of the ancient monuments and grave markers. It was during elk season and I didn't sign up for the trip. We don't see those forefathers as either Polish or German - simply strong folks from Saxony - like Martin Luther. Thanks again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my ancestors in his will made mentioned of his two mulattoes. So I guess I have some distant cousins out there. His daughter, who I descended from, husband was in the militia during the French and Indian war. Their son fought in the Revolutionary War.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
It's not about linage, it's about the people themselves. Both sides of my family, the common thread is they were among the first as each area of this country was opened up. They just kept moving west.

I've found it disingenuous when common Mexicans claim they are indigenous to the southwest just because Mexico had a claim of title from 1821 to 1846 from Spain. They didn't live here, they didn't control the territory, Indians did and they hated Mexicans that ventured in.

A relative came into NM to trade with the Utes in the 1820s, was a guide for Kit Carson and Fremont when they came through and in their books. He guided my GGgrandfather, his cousin, to the newly opened California wine country in the 1840s to grow grapes.

I have about every nationality mixed but I'm born to the west through blood and sweat.

Kent

Yep. The Comanches and Apaches hated the Mexicans. And killed them and ran them out of what they “claimed” for Mexico back then.
Spain, built missions in the SW to rape and pillage the Indians in the name of Catholicism

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Yep. The Comanches and Apaches hated the Mexicans. And killed them and ran them out of what they “claimed” for Mexico back then.
Spain, built missions in the SW to rape and pillage the Indians in the name of Catholicism

One thing the Spanish New Mexicans hated just about as bad as the Navahos, were Texans!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
I looked at Ancestry.com about 20 years ago when I got my first home computer and somebody had done a lot of research on my ancestors. I didn't know how to print screen then so I just wrote a lot of stuff down. Last year my Daughter got interested in her genetics and got one of those Ancestry spit in cup tests done. I had already told her that most my ancestors all came from Ireland and but from also all over Europe. When she got the results she was surprised to find out she was a little bit Scottish. I told that I wasn't surprised because in those days you could walk from Scotland to Ireland. That or maybe her Mom was part Scottish.

Last edited by victoro; 05/24/20.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

One thing the Spanish New Mexicans hated just about as bad as the Navahos, were Texans!

Apache's were the big terror in the southwest, Navajos were much more peaceful to the whites... but it was said an Apache doesn't fear anyone but a Navajo, if a Navajo decided to kill you he wouldn't stop till he did.

I've spent a lot of time on the reservations and with people from the different tribes, on a whole good people, enjoy their sing song voices and laughter. Their culture was F'ed by the stronger White man culture, a sad but common story in the evolution of human development.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.