Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
E-bikes might be cheating (if you are a purist snob), but if ain't cheating, you ain't tryin'!

My wife and I have been riding bikes quite a bit recently but the enjoyment, exercise, and being outside is more important than the "burn", when we ride together. But we live a bit out of town, a little too far for her to keep up to a ride to a brewery or anything downtown.

(I ride my mountain bike on trails for a real work-out when she isn't interesed)

Our wedding anniversary is tomorrow and we've been riding some e-bikes here and there (SIL has one, we've been test riding them at a few shops here as well)

So, we splurged a bit and bought a pair as anniversary gifts to each other. They will go with us in the motorhome for light trail riding, I'll ride mine to work periodically (30 miles) once things open back up, and, they're just friggin' FUN! We'll be able to ride together on rides she wouldn't be comfortable with otherwise - into town, to the next town over (Ft. Collins), to our friends houses south of town... It's nice to hit a button when heading into the wind or up an incline and just get a huge power boost.

For the uninitiated, our bikes are "class 1" bikes - they don't have a throttle and won't speed us down the road unless we peddle. Class 1's add power to the pedal stroke. I can run ~32 MPH on my bike, pedaling like I am running 15 MPH.

I went with the Trek Super Commuter:

[Linked Image]

Took it for a medium-long ride (for me) when we got home today (20 miles). My 500 Ah battery has a range from ~40 to ~90 miles depending on how much "assist" I ask it for. I had a nice work out... Rode 50% no assist 50% "eco" mode most of the way out, "tour mode" most of the way home, and "turbo" for a 2 mile home stretch that was straight uphill, and into a driving wind and rain.

Ran the battery down 8%. Never would have peddled that myself without being destroyed, especially uphill into the wind at the end.

Can't wait to go camping and take them along!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

GB1

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got myself an ebike to keep up with the Grand and neighborhood kids. Love it.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Duck O' Dumb,

You might not be gay, but I guarantee you know what a dick tastes like.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DMc
Got myself an ebike to keep up with the Grand and neighborhood kids. Love it.

Nice!

They provide a lot of options - keep up with others, extend the distance of a ride, extend the time of a ride... All without getting completely wiped out.

I think we're going to get a lot of use out of ours (and I will keep trail riding on my old Giant MTB)

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Bad as s if ya ask me..... but you didn’t.
Still bad a ss

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
might be good for coyote hunting

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by fester

Still bad a ss

Damn, bad ass. Thanks for posting. Seems like there'd be an adjustment riding off road not being able to index of RPM's. Cool toy though.

There were some high end e-MTB there today, too. I test rode the Trek Rail 9.9. INSANE bike. Drop off my driver's license, borrow a helmet, and they said, "have fun!"

I think the sticker was $10,500. I found some construction site off I-25 north of Loveland maybe 2 miles from Scheels where they are rebuilding the frontage road.

Strange experience. It'd be a learning curve for sure.... I was moving through some tactical sections with concrete and rocks in manual. Added some electric assist, stomp down on a peddle, and the front end came up 6" off the ground. Romped around there for an hour. Fun as hell.

But honestly, it wasn't for me. I think I prefer the tactile aspects of the technical environments. Seems safer?

But for a long 14 mile R/T ride through town with the wife to hit a brewery or two.... We're set!

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you ride them in areas that don’t allow motor vehicles?

Can you go hunting for deer on one?

[Linked Image from ]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Federal wilderness area rules still apply. Hooves or boot leather.

That said, I'd sure like one for elk hunting.

Last edited by Lee_Woiteshek; 05/24/20.
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Can't speak to the e-motorcycle... but if you are asking about the bike:

There are generally 2 types in the US:

Class 1 (adds power to each peddle stroke) and class 1 plus class 3 (adds power to your peddling, plus has a "throttle" switch, which gets you up to 28 MPH, without peddling). Over 28 MPH puts e-bikes into motor vehicle category, in many/most places.

GENERALLY speaking, any of the above under 28 MPH is just a "bike", by most local jurisdictions rules.

Can't speak to hunting rules in your area. I hunt in some remote wilderness areas where a a simple *game cart* is illegal to use.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by duck911

Still bad a ss

Damn, bad ass. Thanks for posting. Seems like there'd be an adjustment riding off road not being able to index of RPM's. Cool toy though.

There were some high end e-MTB there today, too. I test rode the Trek Rail 9.9. INSANE bike. Drop off my driver's license, borrow a helmet, and they said, "have fun!"

I think the sticker was $10,500. I found some construction site off I-25 north of Loveland maybe 2 miles from Scheels where they are rebuilding the frontage road.

Strange experience. It'd be a learning curve for sure.... I was moving through some tactical sections with concrete and rocks in manual. Added some electric assist, stomp down on a peddle, and the front end came up 6" off the ground. Romped around there for an hour. Fun as hell.

But honestly, it wasn't for me. I think I prefer the tactile aspects of the technical environments. Seems safer?

But for a long 14 mile R/T ride through town with the wife to hit a brewery or two.... We're set!

Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Can't speak to the e-motorcycle... but if you are asking about the bike:

There are generally 2 types in the US:

Class 1 (adds power to each peddle stroke) and class 1 plus class 3 (adds power to your peddling, plus has a "throttle" switch, which gets you up to 28 MPH, without peddling). Over 28 MPH puts e-bikes into motor vehicle category, in many/most places.

GENERALLY speaking, any of the above under 28 MPH is just a "bike", by most local jurisdictions rules.

Can't speak to hunting rules in your area. I hunt in some remote wilderness areas where a a simple *game cart* is illegal to use.

I’m not sure.... I haven’t rode one....

Sure does look cool as f u k.
I’ve done some mountain biking and dirt (gas engine) that resembles that.

Looks fun

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So are these any help up steep hills, or just keep you up to speed on flat land?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The one I built runs like a scalded ape. No problem climbing single track without pedaling. But I did gear down the front chainring and top speed is only about 23 mph.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The ones I've seen over here have the motor in the hub

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
An older gentleman that belongs to our hunting group has one of the Quiet Cats and really likes it. His is the tri-cycle type and he has a trailer for it with bicycle type 20” tires on it.

It does well in the moderate hills that we hunt in and he’s hauled more than a few deer out with it on the trailer. He’s also hauled seed and fertilizer for planting food plots.

His wife uses it for her yard work on their place.

All in all it’s pretty impressive. He plugs it in to recharge every night for the next day.

Iirc, he paid ~ 5k$ for it with the trailer, light kit and a large gel type seat.

Boys and their toys.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like eBikes. I was thinking about getting my wife one so she can join me on longer rides.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I like eBikes. I was thinking about getting my wife one so she can join me on longer rides.

Two-stroke or bust!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They’re definitely filling a niche. The big concern I would have is the batteries. In the future will you be able to find a replacement for whatever Ebike you have. Seems like the technology is still changing fast.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great Video, if you were curious this is the light he was using on the drone to illuminate the track at the end of the video.

Aputure Amaran Tri-8s Spot Daylight LED Light with V-Mount Battery Plate
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

With the price they charge for the nicer E-Bikes I'd just get the real thing and be done with it...

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They’re definitely filling a niche. The big concern I would have is the batteries. In the future will you be able to find a replacement for whatever Ebike you have. Seems like the technology is still changing fast.

Me too. Also, I'd be concerned about what happens when the battery is drained. The E-bikes weigh a lot more than regular bikes and would be harder to pedal, even where it's flat.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (41rem, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.