Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ll agree with some of the above. Deadwood is a cool
Spot but with kids I wouldn’t spend much time there. Mt. Rushmore is a must see but even taking the little hike around it doesn’t take really long. There’s lots to do in Keystone/Black Hills area though. My kids really like Bear Country and Reptile Gardens. I’d recommend getting to Bear Country first thing in the morning and beating the rush. The alpine slide is fun for the kids and adults as well. We went south a little last year to Monmouth Dig site and it was really cool, the kids enjoyed it and still talk about it from time to time. I’ve always liked Devils Tower it’s a nice little walk around it. Buffalo Wyoming is a nice town to stay in for the night or Sheridan. Staying on the mountain is even better. The South Fork Lodge on the Buffalo side is a nice place.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are you flying into and out of SLC, making a giant loop?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're going to Rushmore, be sure to hit Needles Hwy. Deadwood doesn't take long unless you want to gamble or shop. The crab leg buffets on Friday nights are good. As mentioned, the kids (and adults) will like the reptile gardens and bear country much more than Deadwood. Yes on Devil's Tower, Beartooth Pass, Keystone Hwy, Rushmore and Needles Hwy. History buffs love the parks and museums but the kiddos might get bored. The caves in the area can be fun to. I was to Wall Drug as a kid but I don't remember enjoying it at all so I've went elsewhere.

P.S. Anyone should swing into Cosmos if kids are along.

Last edited by White_Bear; 05/25/20.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you have young kids take something for them to feed the burros in Custer State park. That was my grand daughters favorite thing. Also the suggestion to tour the Little Bighorn Battlefield is a good idea if you like history. Be sure and read up on the battle before you go. We took a sometimes gravel road after leaving Little Bighorn and drove over to Pryor and Edgar MT as we wended our way to the NE entrance to Yellowstone at Silvergate. Beartooth Pass is very scenic.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you want to see the country...from South Dakota go to the Custer Battlefield, then to Billings, Roundup and Malta. Take the Hi Line west to Glacier, then south to Choteau, Augusta, Wolf Creek and Helena to the north entrance to Yellowstone. Stop in Cody and the museum. Back to YNP and south through Grand Teton National Park, Dubois and Lander to I-80.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you're staying in Ashton you should checkout Mesa Falls in Island Park on your way to Yellowstone one Day. It's a short, quick little detour or on the way if you take the back way through bear gultch. Also eat a burger at Big Juds in the main gas station in Ashton. If you have kids with you spend at least a half a day at Yellowstone Bear World about 30 miles before Ashton if you're coming from SLC. I live about 5 miles from it.

Bb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Also the suggestion to tour the Little Bighorn Battlefield is a good idea if you like history. Be sure and read up on the battle before you go.

Can't miss the Little Bighorn. I spent an entire day there.

If you are a Lewis and Clark fan, Pompeys Pillar is a must. Right outside of Billings - the only physical evidence of the expedition. Took an hour or so.

http://www.pompeyspillar.org/

Last edited by justsaymoe; 05/25/20.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don’t skip over Custer’s Battlefield at the Little Bighorn or the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Nothing to see in N. Idaho or E. Washington. Don’t waste the gas. Roll Tide

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will say the same thing about Deadwood, do not spend too much time there.

Crazy Horse is another good place. The carving is not as finished but the visitor center is very good, or it was the last time I was there. Lots of native american history.

Custer State Park and the needles highway is a gem.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something that always kinda saddens me when I see these threads, many folks in the Eastern part of the country do not have a real grasp on how far it is between stops out here in the West. If you plan too many places to go and see, you will wind up driving more than seeing, driving yourself and your family nuts especially if you have children. Go to one place and stay a few days and see all there is to see there while resting up and really enjoying yourselves. For instance, Cody WY is worth 4-5 days with little side trips. You cant possibly do justice to a Yellowstone trip in a day or two. Reduce the planned number of stops and have a better time.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
If you're staying in Ashton you should checkout Mesa Falls in Island Park on your way to Yellowstone one Day. It's a short, quick little detour or on the way if you take the back way through bear gultch. Also eat a burger at Big Juds in the main gas station in Ashton. If you have kids with you spend at least a half a day at Yellowstone Bear World about 30 miles before Ashton if you're coming from SLC. I live about 5 miles from it.

Bb

Love this part of the world. You must be around Rigby or Rexburg. Island Park can be wild place. Beautiful!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by WAM

^^^^ Truth.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
Something that always kinda saddens me when I see these threads, many folks in the Eastern part of the country do not have a real grasp on how far it is between stops out here in the West. If you plan too many places to go and see, you will wind up driving more than seeing, driving yourself and your family nuts especially if you have children. Go to one place and stay a few days and see all there is to see there while resting up and really enjoying yourselves. For instance, Cody WY is worth 4-5 days with little side trips. You cant possibly do justice to a Yellowstone trip in a day or two. Reduce the planned number of stops and have a better time.

Gotta agree with this,when we went out a couple years ago,I had a bunch of things I wanted the boys to see ( as I've been out before).
We went into SLC overnight,drove to Jackson,+ Teton NP 2 nights,drove to YNP, camped in West Yellowstone 2n,then to Cody 2 nights, then back,total of 4x thru YNP.
The boys all say it was thier favorite vacation ,they just wish we didn't drive so much.
I took the rap for that as I really wanted to see as much as possible as I know it will be hard to get back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by BamaCKC
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Dont forget to make time for the Hi Line.

We could use the money.......

What's the Hi Line?

The charming slum of Montana.

By all means take your kids to the Hi Line.......

so you can threaten to move there when they act up 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by dassa
If I were making that drive, I'd rather skip a day in salt lake to make time for Custer battlefield and devils tower.

Salt Lake only adds about 3hrs or driving on the front end of my trip. I thought it'd be worth the detour when going from Rock Springs, WY to Ashton, ID.

B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by horse1
Are you flying into and out of SLC, making a giant loop?

No planes. All-American road trip. Driving from Alabama. Right now I have it planned to make a big loop and never drive the same road twice. I think we're hitting 13 states.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by WAM

^^^^ Truth.

But, but, but, there's millions of acres of dryland wheat and canola on endless miles of rolling hills.

Seriously, I had the chance to spend a day in SLC when my kids were in elementary school. It took us nearly all day to get through the SLC zoo. It was a very worthwhile trip. Also, there is Hill Air Force Museum not very far from SLC at Ogden. I did not get to see it, Momma took the kids while I was working. The 12 year old boy was thrilled.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
On a trip like this, how is the 1st question not:

"What gun shops should I stop at when on a 14 day tour of XX?"

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Thanks for the great info. I'll be in Ashton for 5 nights.

Right now, SLC is unsure. We may or may not make the detour. I just hate not to, who knows when I'll get another chance to see it.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.